HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 3:51 PM

1205 St Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Does he even own all the lot yet? and if this project ever gets going will it displace the Bon Ton Cafe?

Also, does anyone know what is going at the building next to the 1205 St Charles apartments, it looks like it was at one point called the Audobon Hotel? It is a covered in contractor signs and an ode to Mitch Landrieu at the moment.
I lived in 1205 about two years ago. At one point they changed the contractor signs or something so I got excited...and then nothing happened.

I wouldn't be surprised if it continues to sit and sit and sit...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Does he even own all the lot yet? and if this project ever gets going will it displace the Bon Ton Cafe?
I think it's worth pointing out that this was never a true Donald Trump project. He's not buying the lot or building the building; he's just licensing his brand name so that others can cash in on it. I'm 90% sure that the developers were Fred Levin's group. He's the Pensacola attorney who built all those fancy-ass towers on the eastern end of Pensacola Beach. He was also the manager of the incredible boxer Roy Jones Jr.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 7:33 PM

Trump talked about it in the media. Either its on hold, or its dead.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 9:44 PM

Speaking of theatres. It most likely won't happen, but I think it would be cool to have a Kodak (Los Angeles) type theatre in between the Hilton and the Convention Center. Right on top of that parking lot. Imagine having the Grammy's or MTV awards there. And have all the stars arriving down Convention Center Blvd. What y'all think.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 10:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by victortulane View Post
Speaking of theatres. It most likely won't happen, but I think it would be cool to have a Kodak (Los Angeles) type theatre in between the Hilton and the Convention Center. Right on top of that parking lot. Imagine having the Grammy's or MTV awards there. And have all the stars arriving down Convention Center Blvd. What y'all think.
Its funny you say that because in the very late nineties there was a proposal to build the Grammy Museum at that very spot and have it be the homes of the Awards show too... But yeah talk about a very underutilized parcel along with the Riverwalk and WTC garages...

BTW, there is an old school building on the corner of Girod and Carondolet that was recently sold. Not sure what the plans are but I saw construction workers on site gutting the inside... Really is a beautiful building that sits catacorner from Ditcharos.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 12:07 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
BTW, there is an old school building on the corner of Girod and Carondolet that was recently sold. Not sure what the plans are but I saw construction workers on site gutting the inside... Really is a beautiful building that sits catacorner from Ditcharos.
That building and the Georgian-style one behind it were just sold last month. Previously, the School Board owned them and before that they were medical offices.

No idea who the new owner is, or what his plans are.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Great to hear there are workers on site there. I've watched that building for years hoping it could be redeveloped.

Also, more strong "maybes' for the Bass Pro...

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ro_shop_i.html

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 12:41 AM
TL;DR

^^ Cool. The article mentions that Market Street has hired Cupkovic Architects, who - big surprise - were the architects of Midtown Miami, and a similar development in Orlando.

If you wanna see the future, folks, go down to Florida. Looks like it's coming here.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 1:08 AM
-

A few updates from the warehouse district..

1. It appears the St Joe Lofts are nearing completion. Most of the complex looks reasonably nice except for the brand new building... that thing is just atrocious... scaling materials everything are all wrong but otherwise Im glad to see something finally happened there.

2. Large building on the corner of Magazine and Julia was sold about a month ago along with a small building close by on Magazine.

3. Saw tonight that Rouses is keeping the entire worksite on Baronne Street lit up at night. It really gives you a feel as to how the store is going to look when it is finished and the type of vibe they are going for. Think it will be a really special store.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 5:01 AM

As long as we're revisiting failed plans from yesteryear (Trump, Orpheum, etc.), has anyone heard anything about the Eagle Saloon project?

In case you don't know, the Eagle Saloon and a few other properties on the same block near City Hall are places where Louis Armstrong played music and hung out in his youth.

Here's a website that explains what was supposed to be going on, although I don't think anything has been updated in years.
http://www.nomhf.org/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:03 PM

Smaller City Park golf plan approved

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...f_plan_ap.html

"With an eye toward closing a long-discussed deal with a golf developer in the next few months, the City Park Improvement Association gave its unanimous approval Tuesday to a scaled-down plan that reduces by 20 percent the land set aside for a proposed championship course........."

Sounds like a good deal to me! I'm so happy with all the new projects they have going on at the park. Golf has been around and is necessary, but also the new festival grounds, the building near Popp fountain, the mini-golf course, the new tennis complex was just completed.

I just hope they sell beer at the mini-golf course. I'd be there every Friday night if that's the case.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:56 PM

I have noticed on my daily commute that the...umm...gentlemans spa? "Flex" on Barrone and Girod has closed. I was looking forward to the dynamic of bathhouse and rouses facing each other, but guess we won't get that prime people watching opportunity as we shop.

It should sell quickly if the buyers can get past it's history. I can see it has a pool on top from my office and the structure looks sound. I am sure new flooring would be needed through out, but would make a great real gym or condos.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 4:41 PM
-

Quote:
I have noticed on my daily commute that the...umm...gentlemans spa? "Flex" on Barrone and Girod has closed. I was looking forward to the dynamic of bathhouse and rouses facing each other, but guess we won't get that prime people watching opportunity as we shop.

It should sell quickly if the buyers can get past it's history. I can see it has a pool on top from my office and the structure looks sound. I am sure new flooring would be needed through out, but would make a great real gym or condos.
As far as I know its undergoing a renovation... thats all. So we should still get that interesting dynamic...but if it isnt I definitely would be interested in buying it.

BTW has anyone seen any renderings for the Hotel Indigo being built on Canal? They say it will open Summer 2011 but that seems quite ambitious given its current stage of construction.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 6:00 PM

Haven't seen any renderings, they are definately working on the building though. Summer seems a little ambitious. Haven't seen any signs of life at the Texaco building on Canal since it was released that it would be renovated into senior apts. ?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 6:19 PM

Flex

A friend of mine has a relationship with Donald Rouse and was at the press conference with him when they announced the store.

Apparently Donald mentioned something like "What is that 'Flex' place with all the blacked out windows...looks strange and I"ve never heard of it."

Hahaha...my friend had to tell him what it was!!! Apparently he was just ambivalent about it and said something like "well....that's interesting."

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 8:05 PM
TL;DR

Wait... is it not simply a gym?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 8:44 PM

The Texaco Buiding project won't be started until the state extends the Historic Tax Credits. There are several other projects...including the Saenger that also are waiting to see if the credits will be extended. Expecting the credits to be extended during the regular session later this Spring. From what I've heard it will be 4 year extension.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 9:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wait... is it not simply a gym?
You should come check it out with me lololol!!

BTW has everyone here seen the new banners the DDD has put out all over downtown? They are pretty clever I think.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 12:11 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
You should come check it out with me lololol!!

BTW has everyone here seen the new banners the DDD has put out all over downtown? They are pretty clever I think.
Ah, I see.

Why can't they have similar establishments for straight people?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 1:12 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

To be fair, I think there are. Resorts in places like Vegas that cater to honeymooners and couples and have like hot tubs in the rooms and stuff. I don't know, that is an interesting thought. It would probably be suspected of facilitating prostitution, which seems to always be treated more seriously when it involves women. Like massage parlors-you buy happy ending?

Gays get a break because for a long time and still now those places are an escape for two consenting adult guys to get together in private.

Last edited by llamaorama; Mar 24, 2011 at 1:27 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations