HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 5:08 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Slater Steel... I'd forgotten all about that plant but have vague memories from childhood. It came right up to Dundurn didn't it? And was gone in the early '80s?

It's a shame that the Hortons dictated what could happen on the north-east corner. I could imagine a redevelopment where they would have had the corner unit in a 2-3 storey building incorporating the SDM, with the drive-thru running behind (which is exactly what the site plan proposes now)
There were a few houses on Dundurn in front of Slater. The last of which was demolished just a couple of years ago when the owner died. Remember that one house surrounded by the plaza parking lot. The Slater building had a bigger footprint than the current plaza.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 5:55 PM

I remember that house. I remember as a teenager thinking that it would be cool if you had a house party b/c nobody would complain about the noise.

Also, the shoppers used to be a Harvey's or Burger King. A fugitive from America's Most Wanted got spotted there and eventually caught.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:00 PM
Hammer'd

I believe it was a Harveys. I vaguely remember it.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 10:17 PM

ya it was for sure a harvey's I remember being sad when it closed because after the one in jackson by the market closed there was no longer a harvey's in downtown. Harvey's is crucial for vegetarians, like myself, when we have a craving for fast food because their veggie burger is actually pretty good. Plus the fresh toppings make it the best of the fast food joints... but yes its still fast food.

I wonder if they will ever return downtown... I wonder when some big brand fast-food will come back to the core. I heard Subway was coming to the new building at James N and Vine.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 5:35 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I believe it was a Harveys. I vaguely remember it.

Before it was Harvey's it was Dundurn Ford Lincoln.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:15 AM
Ham-burgher

That Harvey's had an upper level dining area, didn't it?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 1:19 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

If it's the one I'm thinking of then I believe so, but it's been a long time.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
... I wonder when some big brand fast-food will come back to the core. I heard Subway was coming to the new building at James N and Vine.
I personally hope that Subway will never come to the core! Their franchises are spreading like a virus. I know it's hard to argue against their value proposition. But I'd prefer more Eh! Panini shops (which just opened on King William) than the Subway behemoth. YMMV.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 5:18 PM

There's already a Subway in the core - overlooking Gore Park, plus there's another a brand new one that recently opened a bit further east on Main...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skully2001 View Post
There's already a Subway in the core - overlooking Gore Park, plus there's another a brand new one that recently opened a bit further east on Main...
Ok, looks like I need to redefine the core I mean the hard-core core! The downtown core.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Ok, looks like I need to redefine the core I mean the hard-core core! The downtown core.
Five doors west of the compass axis of the lower city is pretty core downtown. King and Dundurn, on the other hand, is virtually Westdale.

A Subway in the new building at James & Vine would create a novel book-end for the Subway-Money Mart pairing four blocks south.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
King and Dundurn, on the other hand, is virtually Westdale.
Interesting. It’s separated from Westdale by a highway, so I’ve never thought about it that way. I would have always considered everything Dundurn and east to be, if not downtown technically, “the core of Hamilton.”

The original comment about some fast food chains returning to the core was about a location only a few doors from Dundurn.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
I personally hope that Subway will never come to the core! Their franchises are spreading like a virus. I know it's hard to argue against their value proposition. But I'd prefer more Eh! Panini shops (which just opened on King William) than the Subway behemoth. YMMV.
IIRC, there's a Subway going in the new building at Vine & James N

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
IIRC, there's a Subway going in the new building at Vine & James N
Yes indeed, that's the plan. How exciting for James N!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
Interesting. It’s separated from Westdale by a highway, so I’ve never thought about it that way. I would have always considered everything Dundurn and east to be, if not downtown technically, “the core of Hamilton.”
I take your point. I was thinking simply in terms of relative distance (hence the "virtually"), and as a pedestrian. But it's squishy and subjective and depending upon your elevation, the perspective changes.

It's Hamilton Centre as electoral districts go, but then so is some of the West Mountain.

The City has tended, whether by accident or design, to define "downtown" somewhat literally: Queen to Wellington, Hunter to Cannon. Main peaks at Queen and the north/south streets seem to peak (eg. Bay) or gutter (eg. James, John) at Hunter. The Downtown BIA's original frame reflects this. City framing may shift slightly to accommodate parking, a characteristic deference.

The EcDev folks have generally pushed the envelope on that definition, in order to widen the scope of development charge exemption program eligibility. The most recent annexation, circa 2012, pushed westward to Dundurn, northward to the tracks, east to Victoria and Corktown to the south.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 7:41 PM

Quote:
A Subway in the new building at James & Vine would create a novel book-end for the Subway-Money Mart pairing four blocks south.
..or for the Subway-Chesters Chicken pairing three blocks west at York and Bay.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
..or for the Subway-Chesters Chicken pairing three blocks west at York and Bay.
Subway is so popular in Hamilton, and such an obvious benefactor to the city's well- being. I think we should encourage them to seek naming rights to a city structure of some type.

Maybe the High Level Bridge with Southwest Sauce.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 9:19 PM

Quote:
I take your point. I was thinking simply in terms of relative distance (hence the "virtually"), and as a pedestrian. But it's squishy and subjective and depending upon your elevation, the perspective changes.

The EcDev folks have generally pushed the envelope on that definition, in order to widen the scope of development charge exemption program eligibility. The most recent annexation, circa 2012, pushed westward to Dundurn, northward to the tracks, east to Victoria and Corktown to the south.
Many thanks for the info re: history of the development charge exemption.

I believe it's only a little further from Dundurn to Bay than from Dundurn to Longwood. On foot, it feels (to me) a bit closer as the bridge over the highway is a bit of a psychological barrier.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 10:55 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Give me Mr. Subs over Subway any day.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 11:48 PM

Give me one of our plethora of independent sub shops before any of them. Atlantic, queen, glow, mikes, buddies, Andy's, etc.

I know we don't want our downtown core filled with fast food and of course independent restaurants are preferable and are probably better for the local economy but I think that when larger franchises start filling up spaces it will be a good sign. It will happen before we get big name retail. It's also a guarantee to succeed in my opinion and can co-exist with the local businesses. I also think that it will make downtown more attractive to some when looking at new residential condo units. Again this is all opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton