Adeiny Hechavarria
(BA) .324 (HR) 4 (RBI) 41

Anthony Gose
(BA) .287 (HR) 3 (RBI) 30 (SB) 24

Eric Thames
(BA) .265 (HR) 2 (RBI) 4

Vlad Guerrero
(BA) .214 (HR) 0 (RBI) 2 (28 AB)

For those unfamiliar with the PCL, offensive numbers tend to be grossly inflated. However, these guys are still doing very well.

You have to wonder whether Snider's days are numbered or not. He might be injured actually. I'm not 100% sure.

Not much of note happening on the pitching front, at AAA anyway.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 5:03 AM

Rasmus looks good. I'm not sure what the Jays' expectations are but I'd be pretty happy if he finished the season batting .260+ with 20+ hrs etc. Add to that his stellar defence and you've got a decent player. As long as he keeps his sh*t together mentally he should be an integral member of the club for years to come.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 11:16 AM

I was out all weekend and therefore didn't catch most of the Atlanta games, even though I love when the Jays play the Braves (it reminds me of 1992)..

I did, however, catch parts of the game yesterday. I came in during the 3rd inning to see that they were down 4-0, and due to the previous games assumed that was about it. I then went out and came back to them being up 9-4 and literally said "holy shit" out loud. Where were these bats in that 5th inning the last few games?!?!?! Come on guys if we hit like that all the time we wouldn't be 2nd last in the division!

Also on the Alvarez comments.. His thing is that he's a ground ball pitcher. He isn't a huge strike out guy but he gets them out all the same.

Farrell needs to stop putting in Cordero.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 11:26 PM
Beefeater

Snider has been hurt with a wrist injury. He's just getting back to Vegas now so we might see him with the big club in a few weeks. I think Lind could hit 500 and he wouldn't get called back up. Going to be interesting to see what happens there.

Call it a pitching strategy or call him a ground ball pitcher, 2.6k/9 is terrible. Go look at the top pitchers around the league, all will have at least a 5k/9. Even a guy like Brandon McCarthy who is a heavy sinker ball pitcher "ground ball pitcher" has a k/9 of 5.9.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 7:04 AM

Vlady's gone...I really wanted to see him in a BJ's uniform.

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Jun 13, 2012 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 11:27 PM
Beefeater

No better test of your organizations depth than losing three of your five starters. What a run of luck.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 1:03 AM

It's shocking how those three pitchers have gone down in such similar circumstances. Wish them all a speedy recovery.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 2:48 AM

Drabek's injury sounds like it might be season ending right? A torn ligament in the elbow sounds nasty. I wonder what the rotation will look like? Cecil's getting the call this weekend.

The Yankees are really starting to run away with things now. Baltimore's hangin' in there too. Damn. Damn. Damn.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 10:16 AM

Any word on Hurchison's injury yet? I was at the game last night, and the bullpen put forth a solid effort vs a very beat up Philadelphia team.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 11:43 AM

Drabek & Hutchison

Drabek's getting a second opinion on his elbow shortly but it looks like Tommy John surgery AGAIN. That's a shame. Won't see him on the mound for some time.

As for Hutchison, I don't know how serious the injury is. I think they're being very cautious at this point.

So what will the rotation look like then?

1. Romero
2. Alvarez
3. Cecil?
4. Villanueva?
5. Laffey??

Gonna need some heroic efforts from the pitching staff in the coming weeks if the Jays wanna stay in contention.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 12:08 PM

Lind's numbers continue to balloon: .412 6 25 (97 AB).

At some point they're going to have to do something with him; it would be cruel to leave him at AAA with that kind of production. Not sure how much trade value he has but perhaps they could package him in a deal for a pitcher, because they definitely need another arm in the rotation.

d'Arnaud is hitting .346 so far this year with 15 HR and 48 RBI. He's on pace for a monster year, so we'll have to see when he gets the call...definitely in September if not before.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 3:36 PM
Beefeater

Someone else might get a call up from AA, when they called up Hutch there were a couple of other names being looked at so they will likely be looked at again.

There have been trade rumour regarding the Jays and Garza in Chicago so this might out some emphasis on getting a deal done. Or they could look somewhere else like say Oakland where there is a pretty good pitcher in Brandon McCarthy who is wasting away there.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 12:21 AM

I would suspect that Lind is finished with the Jays now. Or more precisely, the Jays are finished with him. I don't think he will be called up now, especially when Cooper and Gomes are doing well. I think it's more likely that he will be part of a trade deal for another starting pitcher.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 12:35 AM

The pressure's on AA now. If they're serious about contending this year, a deal's gonna have to get done. As a fan, it would say a lot if they just sat back and rode out the injuries by filling the gaps with minor-leaguers.

Yeah, I've heard Garza and perhaps Dempster might be available. Neither would come cheaply though, at least in terms of salary. I'm sure the Cubs would love to dump those guys:

Garza 2-5 4.04 $9.5M/yr free agent 2014.

Dempster 3-3 2.11 $14/yr free agent 2013.

For some perspective, Romero's making $5M this year and $7.5M for the next three. The final year of his contract (2016) will see him make $13M.

Morrow's making $4M this year and $8M for the following two seasons. The final year he'll make $10M (team option).

Anyway, those two guys are fairly expensive so I wonder whether AA will pull the trigger on a deal for either of them.

Otherwise, the rotation will be filled with the likes of Villanueva, Laffey, Coello, Carreno, Jesse Chavez, Scott Richmond, etc. Young pitcher Deck McGuire hasn't adjusted well to AA ball going 2-8 with a 6.72 ERA. Not sure he's ready to take the mound for the Jays.

Total bummer.

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Jun 17, 2012 at 3:38 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
I would suspect that Lind is finished with the Jays now. Or more precisely, the Jays are finished with him. I don't think he will be called up now, especially when Cooper and Gomes are doing well. I think it's more likely that he will be part of a trade deal for another starting pitcher.
Agreed.

You can tell by watching him play that he's not a physical specimen. I guess Lind wasn't in great shape coming into the year which was an issue for the club. Add to that a .186 BA and less than stellar defence and you've got a demotion waiting to happen. He deserves another chance, based on winning the Silver Slugger in 2009, so hopefully they'll deal him some time in the next few weeks.

Along those lines, Cooper deserves a good look this year and it would appear he's getting it. He hit something close to .370 last season at AAA and he's a 1st round draft pick, so they really need to see what they've got in him.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 12:15 PM

Those numbers seem pretty crappy for Garza. How come he is doing so poorly? I suppose the team behind him isn't helping but his ERA is very high.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 6:10 AM

^They're a dreadful team. There's no end in sight for their 100+ year World Championship drought. Actually, I'm a Cubs fan simply because I can't resist a loveable loser...also a Leafs fan obviously.

Anyway, I'm sure Garza would do just fine in a Jays uniform, overpaid though he may be. Here's what $10M will get you:

06 MIN 3-6 5.76
07 MIN 5-7 3.69
08 TBR 11-9 3.70
09 TBR 8-12 3.95
10 TBR 15-10 3.91
11 CHC 10-10 3.32
12 CHC 2-5 4.04

I don't know, I'm no GM but maybe he's worth it.

I still feel the Jays need to make a move. I don't wanna hear anymore of this 'next year' jive. It's always next year in Jaysland. The time is now. Pull the trigger.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 6:20 AM

Perhaps we've been getting a taste of the real Colby Rasmus recently. He's hitting .356 with 7 HR and 18 RBI in his last 73 AB since moving to the 2 spot.

Cecil pitched well, though he's not the answer the Jays' rotation woes. Looks like Jesse Chavez will go against Milwaukee on Tues.

The Phillies continue to tank. Last place. 9 games back. $175M payroll.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 11:01 AM

Sweeeeepppp! What a series! Loving the game Rasmus has been bringing lately.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 11:13 PM
Beefeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
^They're a dreadful team. There's no end in sight for their 100+ year World Championship drought. Actually, I'm a Cubs fan simply because I can't resist a loveable loser...also a Leafs fan obviously.

Anyway, I'm sure Garza would do just fine in a Jays uniform, overpaid though he may be. Here's what $10M will get you:

06 MIN 3-6 5.76
07 MIN 5-7 3.69
08 TBR 11-9 3.70
09 TBR 8-12 3.95
10 TBR 15-10 3.91
11 CHC 10-10 3.32
12 CHC 2-5 4.04

I don't know, I'm no GM but maybe he's worth it.

I still feel the Jays need to make a move. I don't wanna hear anymore of this 'next year' jive. It's always next year in Jaysland. The time is now. Pull the trigger.
Those numbers with Tampa are good considering the majority of the games were in the tough AL East. 15 wins in 2010 was really good. It looked like in 2011 he took a step forward and while 2012 doesn't look great his 2012 peripherals look good. I think its likely the real appeal of Garza to Jay's brass is 34-31 with 3.84 era career against the east.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto