HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 9:13 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The hole is awful, as is the hole one block down next to the Bank of Canada building.

When was the TexPark torn down? 2004? The MetroPark was built in 2002 or 2003...?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:06 AM
Closed account

*blows dust off of thread*

allnovascotia.com reports Navid Saberi (UG guy) has said construction will begin within two years as he needs a year and a half to complete current projects.

That's not really 'new' news, but at least it shows it hasn't fallen off the radar completely.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 3:44 PM

Doesn't he still have to acquire that last piece of land that currently has a small office building on it?

Good news though.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:40 PM
Closed account

The article doesn't mention anything about acquiring adjacent properties.

I know I'm speaking for a lot of people when I say I'd like to see this go up asap, but maybe waiting a while yet will ultimately help with condo sales. Seems like there are still a bunch the market right now that aren't sold.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 5:02 PM

I really wanna see this one go up

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 5:18 PM

so do I...

but to think, by he time it will be completed,
it's design,
while being very impressive will still be 10 years old...Halifax's most progressive project....
only 10 years old!!!... if the material usage is of high quality however, and the towers reach their full aesthetic potential,
I think they will age very well, and hopefully become timeless structures,
that do not become hopelessly dated
or when architecture design and tastes have change, they will be seen as iconic examples of a bygone era, something that will be a cherished reminder of an other age.....compared to say, the Marriott garden suites, which people will loath till the day there is another crane on that site

on a side note.... as someone said, I guess UG owns Greater Homes......

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
so do I...

it's design,
while being very impressive will still be 10 years old...Halifax's most progressive project....
only 10 years old!!!... if the material usage is of high quality however, and the towers reach their full aesthetic potential,
or when architecture design and tastes have change, they will be seen as iconic examples of a bygone era, something that will be a cherished reminder of an other age.....compared to say, the Marriott garden suites, which people will loath till the day there is another crane on that site

Where is the marriott garden suites located at? Im trying to place the location..

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
so do I...

it's design,

****OPPPPS, I meant to say the Marriott, residents inn.....@1599 Grafton

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 9:17 PM

I'm all for this one going up but I've got to wonder if they actually will proceed with this or will they start projects on other properties they own instead (ie Bedford Motels)?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Doesn't he still have to acquire that last piece of land that currently has a small office building on it?

Good news though.
already owns it.

I don't find this very much news really.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 2:04 AM

I'm just glad to hear SOMETHING from this

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 10:31 PM
we built this city

Its a good thing Waterton will keep proceeding and alot of other projects are going well.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 4:22 AM

I have just read most of the City Center Atlantic information and i was wondering if the same rules apply to this project... There is a section about signing the development agreement that states that the development agreement has to be signed before the experation date... Not that you have to break ground... And that this date can be extended with notice from the developer 60 days prior to the the experation date

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
I have just read most of the City Center Atlantic information and i was wondering if the same rules apply to this project... There is a section about signing the development agreement that states that the development agreement has to be signed before the experation date... Not that you have to break ground... And that this date can be extended with notice from the developer 60 days prior to the the experation date
Development agreements vary between projects. These documents become a registered document on the property amd therefore can be reviewed with people with access.

From what i can remember, the agreement for this development is signed, and that the developer has to commence the project prior to expiry.

For example the trillum project i believe had 10 years to start, so each development agreement varies.

Last edited by sdm; Mar 9, 2010 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 3:17 PM

Ok thanks for the explanation.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 4:06 PM

Sadly this lot is now being opened as another parking lot. It has been smoothed over and leveled to some extent and numbers have been placed all around.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 4:25 PM
Honored Member

The only way that I can see this proceeding with towers of the proposed height would be if United Gulf gets an extension on their development agreement. If a new developer takes over and makes a new proposal then they might be required to follow the new HRMbyDesign height restrictions for that site (about 21 residential storeys, with bonus height 66m, as opposed to rampart maximum height as it was before). http://www.halifax.ca/capitaldistric...signManual.pdf - page 56 of 141

Probably the current soft condo and hotel markets have a lot to do with it. This is why Halifax needs the new convention centre to bring more visitors downtown (just my opinion).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 4:30 PM

The problem is that a convention centre would take time to build (roughly 3 years I'm guessing).

An extension to a DA should be no problem; they happen all the time for various reasons.

Calgary had a major change to it's Bylaw and permit processes to allow extensions to development permits; because of the market. It's allowed many of the big projects to have an extended life in hopes of getting out of this economic slump. But many of the projects in downtown are converting to parking lots; to recoup money in the interim.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 4:08 AM

if these never come through I'm pulling a Someone123 and moving to Vancouver.

Last edited by alps; Apr 15, 2010 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 4:11 AM

So sad, these would have looked so cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth