HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 11:34 PM
Still optimistic

have you seen the headlines?

PM to cities: Drop Dead.

I don't think that Mr. Harper gives a dam* to cities.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 4:17 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
And the hotel room tax is a sensible solution. I approve the plan. It seems that the people against the congress centre are not against it per se, but against putting that before the cuts in the city.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
It's about time that the Conservatives are doing something good for the City core.
I hope the Rideau Centre gets going again too and begins to plan their expansion soon. Did the plan go on hold or is it dead?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 6:22 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
I hope the Rideau Centre gets going again too and begins to plan their expansion soon. Did the plan go on hold or is it dead?
It's on hold. It will never be dead, there are too many retailers clamouring to get into this market. Viking-Rideau will not leave that money on the table. But their plans are on hold until they get in a better mood about the idea that the City won't let them turn Rideau Street into yet another slice of suburbia.

We should have an international design competition for the Rideau Centre expansion, in fact. Retail architecture nowadays is right up there with some of the most exciting stuff being built in many parts of the world.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:06 PM

I know I've said it before elsewhere, but this time I'm serious: if Viking Rideau wants to do something really amazing with the Rideau expansion, they should put a condo tower on top. It would bring more people to Lowertown, add density to the towers going up down there, and would be a great spot for a really tall (35+ storeys) building.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
It's on hold. It will never be dead, there are too many retailers clamouring to get into this market. Viking-Rideau will not leave that money on the table. But their plans are on hold until they get in a better mood about the idea that the City won't let them turn Rideau Street into yet another slice of suburbia.

We should have an international design competition for the Rideau Centre expansion, in fact. Retail architecture nowadays is right up there with some of the most exciting stuff being built in many parts of the world.
They previously said that they were waiting for the completion of the Congress Centre before submitting a new proposal, so ~ 2011.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 9:44 PM
you know my steez

Speaking of Rideau Centre, I remember reading somewhere that the dilapidated parking garage at the corner of Daly and Nicholas is soon to be replaced by....wait for it.....a BRAND NEW parking garage! Rejoice!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez View Post
Speaking of Rideau Centre, I remember reading somewhere that the dilapidated parking garage at the corner of Daly and Nicholas is soon to be replaced by....wait for it.....a BRAND NEW parking garage! Rejoice!
And that would have been the perfect chance to build a transit tunnel underneath.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 2:44 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
They previously said that they were waiting for the completion of the Congress Centre before submitting a new proposal, so ~ 2011.
That's been the official line. In fact, they walked out in a huff over the City's design review committee feedback. They might've been hoping for a new Mayor to arrive and get the bureaucrats out of their hair, and I also heard through the grapevine that Viking-Rideau was having cash flow problems (how exactly I don't know, since that mall is a money printing machine).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 4:07 AM

an article on ottawabusinessjournal.com, "Big Day for Congress Centre project", had an cool size comparison of the new congress centre sumperimposed on the old one and i was wondering if anyone knew where it was from or could get a larger version of it?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Committee Approves $40 Million for Congress Centre
Josh Pringle
Monday, November 19, 2007

Ottawa's Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee is writing a cheque to the Ottawa Congress Centre.

Councillors unanimously voted to give the Congress Centre an additional $15 million for the $159 million expansion project.

Ottawa taxpayers will now contribute $40 million for the plan.

Since the City of Ottawa doesn't have the funds available in reserves, it will have to borrow the money over 25 years. It will add $2.9 million to Ottawa's budget.

Congress Centre Chair Jim Durrell says an increase in property tax revenue from new businesses spurred on by the development will more than make up for the $40 million contribution.

The Committee has instructed staff to find creative ways to plan for the yearly investment. Ideas include parking surcharges and having the Ontario Government pay the city grants in lui of property taxes for the Congress Centre.

City Council must still approve the plan.
I never would have expected a project this large to get approval so quickly. Yay for the city doing the right thing for its future for once.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 2:29 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitaldensity View Post
an article on ottawabusinessjournal.com, "Big Day for Congress Centre project", had an cool size comparison of the new congress centre sumperimposed on the old one and i was wondering if anyone knew where it was from or could get a larger version of it?
here's my low-tech solution..

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 3:33 PM

This is great news! I'm still skeptical about narrowing the street in front. It's already a bottleneck at certain hours what with the closing of the road under DND...hmm...seems like it's going to be a bit cramped there.

Is the rendering "official"? Is this actually what the building will look like? I like all those funky non existant towers in the background!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 5:53 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Actually, all those towers do exist. The tallest is the Westin, and the one next to it is either the one that is home to the Elephant and Castle, the one across the street(and second-tallest overall) is 700 Sussex. The tower in the corner is the Chateau Laurier and the funky building below it is the Government Conference Centre/Old Train Station.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 5:59 PM

I think he's talking about the rendering included in the first post of this thread, JP.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 6:24 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movebyleap View Post
This is great news! I'm still skeptical about narrowing the street in front. It's already a bottleneck at certain hours what with the closing of the road under DND...hmm...seems like it's going to be a bit cramped there.
I think it's a very positive facet of this whole project. Without fanfare, Ottawa will be applying an old Dutch technique to congestion. Basically, when a road gets too congested in Holland, they narrow it by a lane (instead of widening it as we usually do here). The message is simple: the road is too congested? Take transit. Personally, I'm very happy that the new Congress Centre will narrow Colonel By, it will be easier to cross on foot and get to the canal-side will be much more pleasant.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post

If Union station is to be used as a rapid transit station there will need to be some awesome architectural and urban design to incorporate it into the Rideau Centre and the new Congress Centre.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 6:30 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Yep. It's definately a step forward in terms of waterfront development.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 8:56 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
And that would have been the perfect chance to build a transit tunnel underneath.
Yes, let's hope the City and everyone involved listens to David Jeanes on this one as there isn't anyone who knows more about that part of the city than him. To miss out on this opportunity to build an underground station (even if not used for a few years) in conjunction with work on the Congress Centre would be a serious mistake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa