HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 11:13 PM
They all float down here

Salt Lake City's northwest neighborhood 4 years later.

In the August of 2003 I did a photo thread on Salt Lake's northwest neighborhood. I found the old photo thread on Urban Planet and thought I would revisit that neighborhood to see if there has been any progress in terms of turning it around.

What I found was a bag of mixed-results. Some of the area looks to be on the mend, however much of it is still stagnated with no sign of change. Some of the photos I took back then I did not replicate, others are new. But this should give you a general feel of how it's changed over the past four years.

In 2003 this corner auto shop was fairly busy.

Today, it's abandoned. I do not know how long the property has been on the market.

The following buildings were abandoned and were a year or two away from being demolished.

Today, every building has been demolished and construction has started on the Marmalade project.

Back in '03 the residential neighborhoods in this area were fairly bad. These two duplexes stuck out to me.

Mostly because I didn't know what the fuck was going on with that red one. So I drove over and thought maybe back in '03 they were adding onto it, or something, but nope...

As you can see, nothing really has changed. Though it does look like it got a new paint job and they cut the weeds out of the front yard.

This house is next to the group, but I didn't have a photo of it from '03.

At the top of the street was an old abandoned lounge.

Back then it was for sale and luckily someone bought it, but it doesn't look that much better today an I think there is a FOR SALE sign on it. heh

I didn't take photos of this street, but it does look the same today.

Though this is on the street, just on the other side.

This row house in '03.

Today I think it actually looks worse.

Tanks in '03.

Tanks today.

Not sure though if they are the same tanks.

Some other photos I took today:

This one cracks me up.

Some progress is being made, as these are quickly going up on what was an abandoned building. However I believe this site was just a lot back in '03.

This motel has been like this for years.

Capitol Dome.

This building has looked like this for years.

It'll be interesting to look back on this area another 4 years from now.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 11:48 PM

Nice thread comrade,

I agree that some progress has been made but it's slow. You didn't take any photos of the condos south of the new brick townhomes going in. Those three buildings were built within the last 4 years and a definite sign of progress. Also the "Marmalade Square" apartments have been refurbished and converted to condos. I think that with the completion of Marmalade this area will continue to improve. the next four years could potentially be better than the past four.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 12:00 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Nice photos comrade.

I never really go that far northwest of Salt Lake and now I see why I don't.

All I can say is thank god for the "Marmalade Project"

You should do this thread again in four years.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 12:28 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCforme View Post
Nice thread comrade,

I agree that some progress has been made but it's slow. You didn't take any photos of the condos south of the new brick townhomes going in. Those three buildings were built within the last 4 years and a definite sign of progress. Also the "Marmalade Square" apartments have been refurbished and converted to condos. I think that with the completion of Marmalade this area will continue to improve. the next four years could potentially be better than the past four.
Yeah, I noticed those apartments 4 years ago during my original photo tour. They were just under way and are now complete.

Hopefully Marmalade helps that area, though who knows.

The area that really needs help is the area just west of the train tracks.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 1:13 AM
Exit 298

Is/was there a street called "Arctic Court" that ran through what's becoming the Marmalade Project?

If so, I helped the former owner empty out those homes before the property was sold and demolished. They were working with the city for over 10 years to sell the property.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 3:09 PM

If I ever need an artificial limb, remind me not to go to Artificial Limb Company, Inc. ...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 8:00 PM
Desert Dweller

Great pics! My friends and I used to frequent abandoned homes in that area. It's amazing how many homes were simply abandoned in the 60's and 70's with all their belongings left inside and an eviction notice still on the door. Who does that?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 8:48 AM
They all float down here

I'm gonna go down when the weather gets better and do another thread now that it's been ten years (Jesus, I've been on this forum along time). It's interesting going through time and realizing that, even after all the talk, the Marmalade rejuvenation never happened. The major project, the one where buildings were demolished for a fairly urban mixed-use development, came to pass with absolutely nothing (unless I am wrong on this ... and someone, please correct me ... because I still think that eastern lot off 300 West is still vacant). I know there were some shops added on the west, but overall, the neighborhood continues to be neglected ... even after all these years.

It just shows you progress is slow.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
It just shows you progress is slow.
No joke.

Many thanks for the photo thread.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:09 PM

It's always interesting to look back and see what projects had high hopes in the past and the comments that people made years ago. This neighborhood is dear to me as it is where my mom grew up and where my grandma lived until she passed 2 years ago. We used to walk to the Safeway that was on the block where Marmalade was supposed to go and to the 7-11 accross the street. We would play in her front yard but would always run inside when we saw a 'bum' walking down the sidewalk. I think that overall the neighborhood has seen good progress in the last few years. One of the first pictures on the thread was an abandoned autoshop, I think it is a Family Dollar now. I wish that the Marmalade development would move forward, isn't the most recent plan a Library branch? And the strip mall type buildings that were built accross from that land has basically been empty since they were built years ago

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 4:35 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Nothing says progress and an up and coming neighborhood like a new Family Dollar. (at least they built a new building though) All but one retail space on the SW corner of 300 W and 600 N is still vacant, but the Salon that is in the corner space has been there since the buildings opened and must be doing ok, if it is still around.

Yes last I heard part of the Marmalade project would include a new library branch.

I think the addition of more density, such as the condos on 7th north and the new townhomes being built, along with the conversion of Marmalade Square into condos should finally help the marmalade project and the retail on the west side of 300 W actually develop and lease out. I think some additional rehabbed or new housing, with more density, between 300 and 400 W would do a lot to help the neighborhood. Maybe that is an area where row houses could be implemented, more brownstone style than those shown above.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 5:36 PM

The Marmalade area has definitely been slow in its progression when you consider big projects, but I think that a lot of the houses especially east of 300 West have seen a lot of investment.

The large RDA parcel that has had multiple failed projects proposed is certainly a problem. Having a large catalyst project in the area would certainly help to speed up progression. The city is building the library on the south side of that parcel. The architects are designing the building as we speak. It will be a very urban, two-story building with a cafe and other uses. It should be great for the neighborhood.

The city has also recently did an inventory of the zoning in the area, and there have been significant changes proposed between 300 and 400 West and from West High School up to 700 North. The current zoning has some significant drawbacks including a severe limit on density. As proposed the zoning would allow for a lot more density which would add significant value to those properties. I think this could speed up progress in the area more than anything. The Council will be discussing this proposal in an upcoming meeting.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 7:14 PM

That's good to hear, UTPlanner. That area is really cool, and like you said, if it gets a little bit of a push, it could really soar. The houses going up the west side of Capital Hill are so beautiful, and the neighborhood already has a few cool things contributing to a good vibe, like the Salt Lake Acting Company, and the clubs in the area.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 8:57 PM
They all float down here

The area certainly picks up in charm the more you climb Marmalade Hill. But the ares between 200 W and the train tracks remains extremely sketchy. There certainly has been improvement since 2003 - but I don't think nearly as much improvement as many of us expected the last decade when they unveiled the original Marmalade plans.

Hopefully the library branch is built and the city commits to developing the area around it. I suspect we're still two or three years away from much of anything on the library end, but who knows?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 9:24 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I felt with all the new developments thoughout downtown this part of town has either been forgotten or push to the back-burner. Not much change ( if any ) during these last ten years. It will take a right developer to come in and get the ball rolling.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Feb 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 9:36 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I felt with all the new developments thoughout downtown this part of town has either been forgotten or pash to the back-burner. Not much change ( if any ) during these last ten years. It will take a right developer to come in and get the ball rolling.
Sadly, it happens to most areas of the city. I think the only really significant rehabilitation the last 25 or so years outside downtown came in SugarHouse, which was really a blighted mess in the early-to-mid-90s before the city stepped in and redeveloped the area. Of course, SugarHouse has the added benefit of an already established retail center and a fairly strong community council. I'm not so sure there is a council that rivals it in the city - especially on the city's west side.

You know, this ties back to an older post of mine I did a few years ago on the slowed progress of the Ballpark Neighborhood. Back when Franklin Quest Field was built in the early 90s, the city had hoped to use it as a catalyst for other major development and an anchor for the south-end of downtown. That hasn't happened. The area has seen minimal development over the last 20 years and it's probably not going to change.

So, yeah, it'll take a big developer to come in and shake things up. Unfortunately, as we saw with the original Marmalade project ... it's not always easy even getting a completed project once a commitment is made.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 11:32 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

While I would love to see Marmalade develop, I think N. Temple will actually surpass it in redevelopment. The addition of the airport line give that street so much more potential. 300 W is such a major disruption in the walk-ability of that neighborhood as a whole. 6 travel lanes, two parking lanes and a turn lane result in a really vast chasm in walk-ability.

It would be interesting to see the traffic numbers on 300 W, and if 6 lanes are really needed. My initial guess is that they aren't. If 3 lanes in each direction aren't needed, I support the addition of a landscaped median with a mid block cross walk, at 550 North and maybe 650 north.

Those two things could really improve and encourage more walk-ability in that two block area. Allow people to feel more comfortable crossing to the other side of the street. Maybe even lower the speed limit a bit too.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 7:00 AM

It disgusts me how neglected this part of town is! Its like its not even part of SLC! How could so much time go by and this be allowed to happen! Especially so close to Downtown! MAJOR work needs to be done!! After decades of neglect its about time they started putting something together, but MORE needs to be done!! 3rd West is such an UGLY street! It has the potential to be a North-South Grand Blvd. but since it is connected to the most hideous and sad excuse for a road, (Beck Street) Its like it caught their disease! I totally agree with putting a decorative median in on 3rd W. and they really are in need of planting some trees along that entire stretch I think that would also help beautify it a bit! Now that the city is focusing on beautifying North Temple why not look at the entire NW region and redevelop it. Im glad they are giving more incentive to build in the area! Lets just relax all the restrictions that are holding this neighborhood down and get the clean up ball rolling!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 11:39 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I grew up on 350 N between 200 and 300 west. It absolutely makes me sick how much that area has fallen a part.

When I was little the east half of 350 N (Ardmore place) was mostly older people who had built houses in the 50's 60's and the west end of the street was mostly Asian people. 400 N was mostly Asian people as well.. In fact the lower marmalade area was predominantly becoming an Asian area.... It was actually a really nice area. I remember everyone would help clean up the street. And all of us kids would play in the big parking lot in the back of the fire station. There was O.P. Skaggs, Safeway, and a small Asian store on the corner of 300 w and 400 n.

Well in the early 90's some apartments were built between 350 and 400 N... The guy who owned them lost them and they were converted in to low income housing... A bunch of gang people moved in, they didn't like the Asians so they shot up the store on the corner of 300 w and 400 n. over the duration of about 5 years most of the Asian people left the area and the cheaper apartments were filled in with more gang people. By 96 it was so bad that police were being called every day and started patrolling the street several times a day. My 5 year old cousin found a hand gun across the street.

I remember one time a taxi cab pulled up across the street and a guy got out and started screaming about having a machine gun in the trunk. My grandfather was terrified of the people and never wanted to call the cops.. But my grandmother did.. The cops went over there and found 40 lbs of coke in the trunk of the taxi.

Then there was the time someone put rags in all of the the gas tanks at the apartments across the street and lit them.. A lot of fires in a 2 block radius actually.

There was the dude on 300 west who was killing people's pets and burring them in his garage.... The whole area went from being nice and friendly to a nightmare relatively quickly.

When I went to west high I would walk up 300 n to 200 west then walk back down 350 n... Just to avoid All of the gangs along 300 west between 300 and 400 north.

My family moved away from that god awful place in the summer of 96. Not long after that Reed.. The owner of O.P. Skaggs was shot in the store.. The fire department had to fence off the big parking lot because of the drug deals taking place in the area...

They did finally repave 350 n and put up street lights.. Something the city had been promising since the late 80's

I hope they tear down all of the sleazy apartments in the 350 n 300 w area.

Also the new Washington elementary sucks... The one I went to was so much fun with all of the hills and big slide and stuff... So much fun in the winter... It was a really different school... And wasn't even that old when I went there.... This is actually the 4th version of the school.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 12:05 AM
They all float down here

I wish I still had these photos. They were wiped from the internet many years ago. It would be interesting to go back and revisit the area 16 and 12 years after this update. I remember a great deal of talk about this area being on the cusp of something great in 2003 and then again in 2007 and, as you can see, even continued in through 2013. But it seems like, with most neighborhood-specific projects (outside SugarHouse) there's minor success and, unfortunately, a whole lot of failure.

From memory, I can go ahead and try to piece together these old descriptions to what it looks like today (well, as today as Google Maps shows). It's not a direct comparison, as we'd have no photos, but I guess I can also use the 2007 street view for reference if needed. So, let's attempt to figure this out!

Here is the auto shop I believe I was talking about in 2007 - as by then it was abandoned:

This is the site today:

Future Mayor joked about this development. I'd say, compared to 2003, this corner is definitely worse since, back then, there was at least a charming auto shop. But by 2007, it was abandoned and, yeah, I guess even a meh Dollar Tree is better than an abandoned building and empty lot.

Kitty-corner to the above was, in 2003, a bunch of abandoned houses and, in 2007, an empty lot waiting in anticipation for the Marmalade Project. This is what it looked like in 2007:

This is now (well, as of 2018):

At least there's been some development. The library is there and we now have some residential units going up off 500 North but the area has failed to live up to its potential to what was initially proposed over twelve-years ago.

Next are the two complexes that were to be renovated into the Marmalade Courtyard. This is what the site looked like in 2007, which remained relatively unchanged from what it looked like in 2003:

This is the site as of July, 2018:

These were supposed to be renovated as part of the project. I am not sure if that has happened.

I believe this was the lounge I was talking about that was for sale in 2003 - and again in 2007:

This is today:

Across the street, back in 2007, was an empty lot:

But now there's at least some residential:

Some homes I spoke to in 2007 and how they looked:

In 2018:

MUCH better.

The area has definitely improved but only at a snail's pace. Most the improvement has happened right on 300 West, as the residential areas around the street look pretty much the same. The retail space Future Mayor spoke of in 2013 as being vacant...was still mostly vacant in 2018:

Though it was an empty lot in 2007.

But, really, the area has mostly remained unchanged in the nearly two-decades. There's been minor cosmetic changes, more residential, but nothing significant. Which is a shame.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West