HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 4:17 AM
Go Chiefs!

Gally!!!

Video Link

LOL@Boston McGuire definately sounded excited... One more reason to watch the Montreal vs Boston in the future.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 6:33 AM

I really like Galchenyuk for Montreal, and I'm extremely pleased with Trouba in Winnipeg.

Yakupov is an incredible talent, and while the draft is always about the future, the number one overall is also about right now as it is someone a team will not have to wait on to develop. With that said, I'm not sure Yakupov helps the Oilers as much as a rear-guard would. If they get Matt Finn early in round two, I believe that would be nice. Unimaginable offensive talent in E-town's top 6. Wow.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 4:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Wow, the Leaves have given up on yet another saviour.

The "Monster" goes to Winnipeg - good backup and potentially future goalie if they can sign him.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 4:31 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Hmm. This week or next really looks to be the ultimate decider of the Coyotes' fate. Lots of interesting chatter.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 9:18 PM
Go Chiefs!

Trevor Timmins as its best...

After potentially drafting the most complete player in this draft (Gally), we got 3 others players that were projected to go in the first round (or close to).

Bergevin passes the first test with big success.

Quote:
Marc Bergevin didn't seem like a rookie during his first NHL draft as the Montreal Canadiens general manager.

While drafts take years to properly evaluate, the Canadiens couldn't help but hide their pleasure Saturday following a draft in which they repeatedly wound up with players who, by ranking, shouldn't have fallen into their hands.

First-round centre Alex Galchenyuk went as projected at No. 3 on Friday -- the Canadiens insist they had him ranked as the top player in the draft.

But their next three picks -- right wing Sebastian Collberg, defenceman Dalton Thrower and left wing Tim Bozon -- weren't expected to be available when they picked.

Multiple draft analysts were proclaiming the Canadiens as the winner of the two-day draft at Consol Energy Center, and Bergevin and player development director Trevor Timmins couldn't hide their pleasure at how the weekend played out.

"We'll tell you in five years, but we added a lot of talent, a lot of scoring upside, some toughness," Timmins said Saturday. "Some physicality as well. Right now, we're very happy. It's like Christmas day and Santa Claus arrives. Now we've opened our gifts and it's time to get to work."

Collberg starred on Sweden's gold medal-winning team in the world junior championships and, despite being ranked No. 3 overall among European skaters by NHL Central Scouting, was on the board when the Canadiens made the third pick of the second round Saturday morning.

"Some of the guys we got, I'm surprised they were there," Timmins said.

Later in the second round, they added no-nonsense defenceman Dalton Thrower, who had 18 goals and 54 points with the Saskatoon Blades. Thrower especially impressed Bergevin during the Prospects Game when he willingly took on tough guy Tom Wilson, who went No. 16 overall to Washington and was considered to be the most physical player in the draft.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399084

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 10:30 AM

I hate you Montreal. I wanted Galchenyuk.

Oh well, Morgan Rielly has probably the biggest ceiling of any defenseman in that draft, both him and Finn were great picks.

And Schenn traded for James van Reimsdyk! I'm still in the camp that Schenn would have rebounded in a big way under Carlyle, and I still wish him all the best. I am excited to see JVR on the Leafs though, great hockey trade. I remember earlier in the season Flyers fans insisting that the Leafs would have to add to Schenn to get JVR..

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I really like Galchenyuk for Montreal, and I'm extremely pleased with Trouba in Winnipeg.

Yakupov is an incredible talent, and while the draft is always about the future, the number one overall is also about right now as it is someone a team will not have to wait on to develop. With that said, I'm not sure Yakupov helps the Oilers as much as a rear-guard would. If they get Matt Finn early in round two, I believe that would be nice. Unimaginable offensive talent in E-town's top 6. Wow.
Agreed on all fronts. As a former Habs junkie, and still a closet fan, I'm happy they picked him. For us on the Jets side, I'm pretty happy with our selection. Looks like Chevy is going towards a bruiser styler team with all the big bodies a la Boston. I have no problem with that Love the Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Wow, the Leaves have given up on yet another saviour.

The "Monster" goes to Winnipeg - good backup and potentially future goalie if they can sign him.
Certainly an interesting development. More upside than Mason, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Hmm. This week or next really looks to be the ultimate decider of the Coyotes' fate. Lots of interesting chatter.
I've been following it too. We'll see what happens. If the Nords return, they will be my #2 team as they were back in the day.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 6:09 PM

If the coyotes don't stay in Phoenix, don't they have just as much of a chance of going to Seattle as Quebec City? Both cities would be great for hockey imo. I also wonder what will happen with the islanders. Last I heard they weren't able to renew an arena agreement and their future is still uncertain.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 6:55 PM

so are these the teams that have a chance of moving in the near future? Islanders, Devils, Phoenix?

What options are out there? Seattle, Quebec, Kansas City?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 7:21 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid247 View Post
If the coyotes don't stay in Phoenix, don't they have just as much of a chance of going to Seattle as Quebec City? Both cities would be great for hockey imo. I also wonder what will happen with the islanders. Last I heard they weren't able to renew an arena agreement and their future is still uncertain.
Seattle doesn't really have a building, nor ownership group. Maybe in 2-3 years but for right now QC is just about the only option. Much as Winnipeg was last year when Atlanta needed a home.

KC also lacks an interested owner. Vegas has neither (often brought up as an idea).

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 8:47 PM

Wasn't Seattle planning to build an arena just like Qc?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 9:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Wasn't Seattle planning to build an arena just like Qc?
Seattle has just approved plans for renovating Key Arena up to NHL standards. This will take several years, so for now they are not in the mix. Give them a few more years and they will be ready.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Seattle has just approved plans for renovating Key Arena up to NHL standards. This will take several years, so for now they are not in the mix. Give them a few more years and they will be ready.
Thanks for the update. It'd be great if the Nords returned for next season. I'd also like to see a team in Seattle eventually.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
so are these the teams that have a chance of moving in the near future? Islanders, Devils, Phoenix?

What options are out there? Seattle, Quebec, Kansas City?
The only team with a chance of moving in the immediate future are the Coyotes

Islanders, if they move, won't be for sometime. And it might be to another area in New York.

Devils - no.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update. It'd be great if the Nords returned for next season. I'd also like to see a team in Seattle eventually.
Yeah Seattle would be a great addition. Not going to be the Yotes, if they relocated though.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 12:32 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Agreed on all fronts. As a former Habs junkie, and still a closet fan, I'm happy they picked him. For us on the Jets side, I'm pretty happy with our selection. Looks like Chevy is going towards a bruiser styler team with all the big bodies a la Boston. I have no problem with that Love the Bruins
?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 12:46 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
I hate you Montreal. I wanted Galchenyuk.

Oh well, Morgan Rielly has probably the biggest ceiling of any defenseman in that draft, both him and Finn were great picks.

And Schenn traded for James van Reimsdyk! I'm still in the camp that Schenn would have rebounded in a big way under Carlyle, and I still wish him all the best. I am excited to see JVR on the Leafs though, great hockey trade. I remember earlier in the season Flyers fans insisting that the Leafs would have to add to Schenn to get JVR..
I like the trade for the Leafs. Two prospects that never played up to their potential (Schenn, 5th overall pick in 2008... JVR, 2nd overall pick in 2007).

I think JVR is better than Schenn but he had 3 or 4 injuries this past season. He has scored over 20 goals in a season only once (21 goals) but will still help the Leafs... if he stays healthy.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 1:56 AM

Quote:
The only team with a chance of moving in the immediate future are the Coyotes

Islanders, if they move, won't be for sometime. And it might be to another area in New York.

Devils - no.
Thanks

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
?

haha....I used to be a huge habs fan but then the Jets came back. Now I'm just a closet Habs fan (I can never truly hate the Habs...they're my #2 till the Nords come back one day)

Though, I used to hate the Bruins but I started following them when Claude Jullien went there...I really liked him when we was with Montreal. I liked his style, and he fit in with the Bruins, and I couldn't help but enjoy watching him coach the team into a cup contender. And once you start getting into their rough style of play, you turn to like it. Besides...Boston has more Canadians than the Canadiens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Thanks
no worries

I was rooting for you guys in the playoffs btw (on the west side)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 12:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
I was rooting for you guys in the playoffs btw (on the west side)
Everyone was, once they eviscerated the Canucks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada