HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 10:02 PM

Is the BC NDP Imploding?

Since I started a similar thread about the Libs, I felt it only fitting to start one for the Left.

Any bets on what comes out of the emergency NDP meeting today?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Since I started a similar thread about the Libs, I felt it only fitting to start one for the Left.

Any bets on what comes out of the emergency NDP meeting today?
I bet Jenny Kwan and a few others are leaving or kicked out of caucus. In that case, I will be quickly losing my NDP membership in order to campaign for Jenny as whatever party she's in.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 10:09 PM

Is there anything left *to* implode?

As I said in the other thread, both parties seem highly unfit to lead in their current capacity.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
I bet Jenny Kwan and a few others are leaving or kicked out of caucus. In that case, I will be quickly losing my NDP membership in order to campaign for Jenny as whatever party she's in.
Bob Williams seems to be pulling Jenny's strings, and I've absolutely no respect for him. He tried this kind of stunt before with Bob Skelly and sentenced the NDP to yet another election loss.
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Wil...397/story.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 10:22 PM

Carole James is now damaged goods and is toast as leader. And with the public outing and public backlash by Kwan (the Wrath of Kwan?) and her baker's dozen cabal, the public sees a dysfunctional party and the NDP is now likely finished as a potential government even with a new leader for years to come.

If they are seen as a dysfunctional party, how can they be seen as a functional government in waiting?

The divisive wounds within the NDP will take years to heal. The NDP also has a habit of eating it's own and has certainly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. In all my years watching BC politics, I have never seen an opposition party self-implode akin to what we are seeing right now.

Just watch the downward trend in future public opinion polls.

It also looks like the NDP emergency caucus meeting this afternoon might not even take place. According from a Tweet by CKNW reporter Brett Mineer:

Quote:
Emergency #NDP caucus meeting - happening or not? Whispers in the halls of the leg abound... #bcpoli, stay tuned to #cknw for the latest.
http://twitter.com/#!/Mineer980

If that's the case, watch for a potential resignation announcement by Carole James but the blood-letting will continue.

Edited to Add: The latest tweet by CKNW reporter Brett Mineer:

Quote:
#BCNDP Emergency Caucus meeting postponed. Tune into #cknw at 2:30 for details. #bcpoli
http://twitter.com/#!/Mineer980

Further Edit:

Quote:
Now, the opposition caucus has released a statement confirming that meeting has been postponed to allow for "private discussions to ensure that the clear direction set by our leader and our party is followed: to unite and offer British Columbians a positive progressive alternative in the next election."
http://www.publiceyeonline.com/archi...5579.html#more

Looks like Carole may be staying and the NDP has yet to "whip" the rest of the cabal into line.

Last edited by Stingray2004; Dec 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 12:25 AM

i have and will never vote NDP as long as carole james is leader

i used to vote for them in the past but last few times i voted liberal since i figured it was a waste to vote for the greens

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 12:31 AM
I am a typical

It isn't entirely a waste to vote Green, they get a dollar or so for each vote which they can use to spread their message. I'm pretty sure that applies to the provincial level as well. If you don't agree with any of the parties that will get in, might as well support one that could in the future. It's better than not voting at all.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 3:06 AM

federally i vote green
provincially i used to vote ndp now i usually go with liberal just cause i don't like carole james

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 7:04 PM

Carole James has just resigned...

Quote:
Emotional B.C. NDP Leader Carole James announces immediate resignation

The Canadian Press

VANCOUVER - B.C. New Democrat Leader Carole James has resigned following weeks of internal dissent.

James called a hasty news conference Monday morning and announced she will step down immediately as the Opposition leader, blaming.

The party cancelled an emergency caucus meeting planned Sunday to deal with the ongoing controversy over James's leadership.

Last week, the party's longest-serving MLA put the final nail in James' political coffin with a blistering public attack on her leadership.

MLA Jenny Kwan's call for an immediate leadership convention was only the latest in a string of dissent and criticism that saw one MLA turfed from cabinet and several others publicly renounce James' leadership.

Carole James was elected Leader of the British Columbia New Democratic Party on Nov. 23, 2003.
http://www.cknw.com/News/National/Ar...aspx?id=249358

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 7:29 PM

Good, although that was quite a surprise quick announcement. Hopefully they can rebuild and bring something more appealing to the table.

In a way the government really needs a third party... two ongoing leadership races are fine I guess but will that bring enough change for the better? I'm not too sure...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:28 PM

woohoo!

but sounds like the NDP is one big mess

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:38 PM

There is the BC Conservatives but they're too new with a bunch of lesser known members to do any damage.

I don't think the Liberals are in trouble next election.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:39 PM

I'm shocked she would go. Provided the NDP gets a likeable leader they can now actually be a serious contender.

There must have been some *immense* internal pressure.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:46 PM

Wow.
When did BC Provincial politics suddenly get so interesting?

So, then will the new BC Premier have the will to call an early election to "win their mandate?" Might be a bit more challenging if the NDP can field someone respectable.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:52 PM

The NDP has two factions within, perhaps even three. The party is very deeply divided with alot of animosity. The minority Gang of 13 just brought down the leader against the wishes of the majority of caucus against the party's own constitution.

Some NDP MLAs are calling these Gang of 13 anarchists. The current NDP party split is reminiscent of the Berger/Barrett split in the late 1960's, which tore the party apart.

And the NDP leadership contenders will now have to move left to pander to the party base, away from the centre where the voters are.

I still think the wounds are too deep for the party to make it to the next election cycle.

Interesting times indeed.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:53 PM

Wow, how out there do you have to be for someone in the NDP to call you an anarchist ?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 9:09 PM

the news i just watched on global mentioned the 13 and amongst them some of them believe structure and a leader is not necessary and let who is the strongest sort of rise to the top or something like that and basically break down traditional structures of the party

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 9:19 PM

Ugh...well, this means that the NDP have a better shot at winning government......

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 9:43 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the news i just watched on global mentioned the 13 and amongst them some of them believe structure and a leader is not necessary and let who is the strongest sort of rise to the top or something like that and basically break down traditional structures of the party

if you allow it, punctuation can be your friend.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 10:07 PM

It'll be interesting to see what happens with two new leaders at the next election.
I don't follow politics all that closely, but I do remember an upset with newby Glen Clark versus newby Gordon Campbell a while back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics