HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxPavilion View Post
... it's at least the nicest looking parking lot downtown.
It's "nice looking" because it's small, only 1/4 block.

That's the problem in downtown Phoenix, the lots are way too big. I mean a lot of cities have some empty space in their downtown, parking lots and such, but they are usually about a 1/4 of the whole block at most, not 2+ acres like you see in Phoenix (and usually theres a couple other acre parking lot sites right next to them, so it's a big sea of parking/dirt).

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 7:15 PM

Question

Phoenix still hasn't broken the 500' mark yet? I would've thought that with a metro of over 5 million they would've gotten there already.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 12:18 AM
this could have been...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxPavilion View Post
Yeah, there were many more proposals than what's listed here. See this thread for example and it's still missing a few.
excellent, comprehensive old thread - i must've missed it the first time around. thanks (and thanks Sean!)

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
It's "nice looking" because it's small, only 1/4 block.

That's the problem in downtown Phoenix, the lots are way too big. I mean a lot of cities have some empty space in their downtown, parking lots and such, but they are usually about a 1/4 of the whole block at most, not 2+ acres like you see in Phoenix (and usually theres a couple other acre parking lot sites right next to them, so it's a big sea of parking/dirt).
It's nice looking because it's well kept up, including the cast iron fense surrounding it with plenty of landscaping and plants.

Downtown definitely does have too many parking lots and large ones at that, can't disagree with you there.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 1:24 AM
them bones

This:

along with the adjacent Hotel Monroe are probably the only large scale projects that I really will miss. Most of the rest of what's posted seem to be merely exercises in cost per SF and the entitlement process in order to flip the land.

Downtown Phoenix would be alot better off focusing on small scale mixed-use stuff for awhile to complement the lite rail (3-6 stories). Those types of developments (if successful) tend to begat 1-15 story towers which then in turn feed into more mega-type tower projects. And they improve the street much better. One need only look at say...Sacramento for an example of this (their mega towers got killed by the market, but they got all the rest of the downtown area is much better off as a result).

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 9:50 AM

I would really like to see the mega project at Camelback and Central get built, even if reduced in height.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 6:24 AM

Downtown Phhoenix highrise problems

If only ALL these projects could of been built. Maybe sometime in the future they when they have eunuch money they will break ground without having to reduce the size of their building! I mean seriously honestly, downtown Phoenix kinda sucks and as a resident i would like to see more skyscrapers being build like the ones above. In time maybe phoenix will run out of room to grow and have no choice but to build upwards. I would eventually like to see an affordable Studio Apartment highrise along with Medium wealth residential highrises like the ones in New York City, but more modernish because glass building fit in a lot better with the already desert landscaped area. Also a theme park would be a HUGE hit in Phoenix! there are quit a few lots in the Downtown area big eunuch for a good sized thrill park.It would help out the skline too making Phoenix a nice tourist destination. More bigger and taller hotels would be built and it would just be a beautifl thing to just see the city of Phoenix looked at as a city that everyone wants to go live in.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 11:01 PM
Skyriser

If you think downtown Phoenix sucks as a resident, I challenge you to find somewhere else in the metropolitan area that doesn't.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:55 PM
BANNED

In retrospect the only one that really would have fit was cosmopolitan towers. The rest just would have been further skyline sprawl. I guess omega too but i like to think that one isnt dead but just on the bsck burner.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 3:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Oh yea, Don...don't forget the Momentun Hotel Tower, the "sliver building". Hotel Monroe is also on hold right now...I'm baffled that no one is picking that up, considering how much work has already been done and what a great idea/project it was.
I'm trying to convince Bill Nassikas and Westroc to buy it. I hear it's a tough number to swallow.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest