HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
Call me foolish for having more faith in objectively compiled stats vs your personal skewered experience.

In fact, even if there were a consensus among Winnipeg forumers that the city was 'perfectly safe' I'd be weary of their claim... after all, this is a city discussion forum and people tend to ooze hometown pride.

You do realize there are some stand-up people out there whose low-incomes leave them no choice but to live in Winnipeg's shadier neighborhoods, right? Ask them how safe they feel going home from the night shift in the north end.
I grew up in the North End, and some of my family lives in the North End, and here is the kicker: because they want to. To this day I remain Downtown (an area that per capita sees as much crime as the North End). Now quit being a jack ass. You have no idea what you are talking about, so do yourself a favour and stop blasting useless nonsense.

If you want to know where I spent most of my life? Manitoba Avenue, just West of Salter.

You have obviously ignored mention of the fact that even of those who live in the North End live great lives and that for the most part it is a good neighbourhood. Outside of the odd boarding house/gang house, it is actually a beautiful neighbourhood with extremely friendly and caring citizens. Most of which I can guarantee you with 100% certainty feel safe, and hate it when people who don't live there -such as yourself- spew complete nonsense about their home.

Here is an example.

http://lovemelovemywinnipeg.blogspot.ca/

You can also ask BryanScott what he thinks of the North End. He lives there as well. And I can guarantee you that he will agree with me as well. Ask 1ajs. He lives in Point Douglas (just East of the North end, and in a more troubled area), he is as big an advocate for how safe it is as anybody. Why? Because we have pride? No because we actually live there and know that it isn't as bad as the media makes it out to be.

If you want a sure unbiased, yet knowledgable answer to Winnipeg's safety ask Roccerfeller, he has lived all over Canada, and Internationally, and can give you a good sense of how dangerous it is... Without this so called home-town pride.

Winnipeg has only had 2 homicides this year. Neither of which occurred in the North End.

Here is a question. How much time have you actually spent in Winnipeg that gives you the proper accountability to say these things? And if it was a good proportion of time, what happened to you that was so bad that provided you with such a skewed image of how dangerous the city is. Or are you just reading statistics and newspaper articles?

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Most of which I can guarantee you with 100% certainty feel safe.
What is most of 100%?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 3:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Call me foolish for having more faith in objectively compiled stats vs your personal skewered experience.

In fact, even if there were a consensus among Winnipeg forumers that the city was 'perfectly safe' I'd be weary of their claim... after all, this is a city discussion forum and people tend to ooze hometown pride.

You do realize there are some stand-up people out there whose low-incomes leave them no choice but to live in Winnipeg's shadier neighborhoods, right? Ask them how safe they feel going home from the night shift in the north end.
Speaking of oozing hometown pride, I find it very odd how someone from Montreal can crucify another city considering their own violent history with gangs and murder. Somewhat hypocritical if you ask me. Perhaps it's just a way to detract from their own sorted past (and present)? I think so.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 3:44 PM
I am a typical

Neighbourhoods like Winnipeg's North End (I live in Thunder Bay's version of it) are still quite safe neighbourhoods with a lot of regular people living there. My neighbourhood is something like 40% lower/working class, 40% lower middle class, and 20% solidly middle class. There are a few problem houses here, but for the most part, we feel safe.

We have a local community group that hosts a community walk every Tuesday evening, and it has helped a lot of people realize that despite the perception people from other parts of the city have of this area, it is actually quite safe. Most of the crime, as I have said time and time again, is happening inside houses, and is occurring between friends and family members. Random crimes committed against strangers are rare here.

In a way, the lower income community here is sort of like a parallel community to the middle class one. The two don't interact very much, but they live together. The problems of one group are largely irrelevant to the other, and aside from the occasional blighted property, it's not very noticeable at first glance.

The main street itself is quite sketchy with its old, run down buildings, but few people live on the street. I am more likely to get hit by a car illegally passing another car while trying to cross the street than I am to be assaulted or robbed.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 3:53 PM

I take it back - 54 per 100,000 for 2012 (based on a population of approx. 714,000 - which may in fact be much lower).

http://news.yahoo.com/homicides-trou...234544565.html

Detroit ended up with 386 criminal homicides for a rate of approximately 54/100,000.

Other Michigan cities near Detroit:
Grand Rapids: 18 (9.53 per 100,000)
Lansing: 11 (9.59 per 100,000)
Flint: 66 (64.70 per 100,000)
Saginaw: 30 (58.55 per 100,000)
Jackson: 7 (20.94 per 100,000)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
What is most of 100%?
As in most of the people, I can guarantee you with 100% certainty, feel safe.

Or I am 100% certain that the majority of the people feel safe in that neighbourhood.

I am horrible when it comes to sentence structure. It takes me forever to try and get things out, and when I do it hardly makes any sense at all, and usually bears little resemblance to what I originally wanted to say. I like pictures, they are easy to post. I think I missed a comma or something... Though I am not sure.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
What is most of 100%?
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I grew up in the North End, and some of my family lives in the North End, and here is the kicker: because they want to. To this day I remain Downtown (an area that per capita sees as much crime as the North End). Now quit being a jack ass. You have no idea what you are talking about, so do yourself a favour and stop blasting useless nonsense.

If you want to know where I spent most of my life? Manitoba Avenue, just West of Salter.

You have obviously ignored mention of the fact that even of those who live in the North End live great lives and that for the most part it is a good neighbourhood. Outside of the odd boarding house/gang house, it is actually a beautiful neighbourhood with extremely friendly and caring citizens. Most of which I can guarantee you with 100% certainty feel safe, and hate it when people who don't live there -such as yourself- spew complete nonsense about their home.

Here is an example.

http://lovemelovemywinnipeg.blogspot.ca/

You can also ask BryanScott what he thinks of the North End. He lives there as well. And I can guarantee you that he will agree with me as well. Ask 1ajs. He lives in Point Douglas (just East of the North end, and in a more troubled area), he is as big an advocate for how safe it is as anybody. Why? Because we have pride? No because we actually live there and know that it isn't as bad as the media makes it out to be.

If you want a sure unbiased, yet knowledgable answer to Winnipeg's safety ask Roccerfeller, he has lived all over Canada, and Internationally, and can give you a good sense of how dangerous it is... Without this so called home-town pride.

Winnipeg has only had 2 homicides this year. Neither of which occurred in the North End.

Here is a question. How much time have you actually spent in Winnipeg that gives you the proper accountability to say these things? And if it was a good proportion of time, what happened to you that was so bad that provided you with such a skewed image of how dangerous the city is. Or are you just reading statistics and newspaper articles?

I wasn't keen on raising any personal examples, because:

1. I have no interest in making Winnipeg look bad, and wish it only the best.
2. I don't like using anecdotal evidence to support my points. (Mind you, I wasn't keen on making a point in the first place.)

I'm really sorry to burst your bubble, but the fan club blogs you're posting, the heart-warming stories you're sharing... these types of sentimental trinkets exist even for cities like Baghdad & Port Moresby... they do not constitute evidence of anything concrete.

Like I said, if the crime figures are better this year that's great & if 5 years from now they're much lower we can all celebrate. I have faith that the numbers being reported reflect the reality on the ground to some extent. Why is this very pedestrian belief causing you so much outrage?

Also, I fail to see how the media depicts Winnipeg as danger city. Do you mean 2-3 G&M or MacLean's articles per year discussing crime rates? I can assure you here in Quebec we are more likely to associate Winnipeg to Winnie the pooh, Louis Riel, cold weather, the Jets & remoteness than we are to crime. Rest easy, friend. No one is thinking any less of Winnipeg because of its' high crime rate.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Speaking of oozing hometown pride, I find it very odd how someone from Montreal can crucify another city considering their own violent history with gangs and murder. Somewhat hypocritical if you ask me. Perhaps it's just a way to detract from their own sorted past (and present)? I think so.
Wait, I crucified Winnipeg !?

Violent history with gangs and murder!? But this is a contemporary thread

Unfortunately, I can only draw one conclusion from your post...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 1:30 AM

please...

Let's not retreat into regionalism, and insult-trading. We're all part of Canada.

I grew up in Vancouver, which I must unproudly admit, has - in some sectors anyway - the highest violent crime rate in Canada ( much of it gang-related, but not all; there have been some hideous premeditated murders here over the decades)

I'm simply pointing this up, because as a nation, we need to work as a team, sharing positive ideas, not using the thread to simply kick ass.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 2:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Wait, I crucified Winnipeg !?

Violent history with gangs and murder!? But this is a contemporary thread

Unfortunately, I can only draw one conclusion from your post...

That is right. Montreal also has a notorious reputation for gang-related crime. So pot calling the kettle black on your part. And the next time someone from Montreal or another city speaks out about how their city is being bashed on this forum, I'm going to remember to use that precious picture of yours.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Let's not retreat into regionalism, and insult-trading. We're all part of Canada.

I grew up in Vancouver, which I must unproudly admit, has - in some sectors anyway - the highest violent crime rate in Canada ( much of it gang-related, but not all; there have been some hideous premeditated murders here over the decades)

I'm simply pointing this up, because as a nation, we need to work as a team, sharing positive ideas, not using the thread to simply kick ass.
Good post. leftimage could use a little of what you are selling.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 1:57 PM

Looks like 1 more for Ottawa Metro area. This puts the total at 5 i think.

Quote:
2 dead of gunshots in North Gower home
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/02/20/...rth-gower-home

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Good post. leftimage could use a little of what you are selling.
Apparently I need sensitivity training. It's beyond me how anyone could have been offended by anything I said. Who knew standing by the validity of statistics was so scandalous!?

Think I've been posting on basketball forums too much

I do wish the best for all Canadian cities though, and I don't want to be disliked by fellow forum members, so if someone could provide me with the original quote whereby I crucified Winnipeg I would REALLY appreciate it. If not I'll just have to assume crime rates in the prairies are up there with politics & religion - matters too sensitive to be discussed without risking offense.

Shinook, I'll never take offense to you bashing on my city. But please, re-read my past couple posts, straighten up and recognize I did not say ONE bad thing about Winnipeg. In fact, if you look through my post history you'll find I hold well-balanced, uncontroversial and favorable views of all Canadian cities.

Last edited by leftimage; Feb 21, 2013 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2013, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Apparently I need sensitivity training. It's beyond me how anyone could have been offended by anything I said. Who knew standing by the validity of statistics was so scandalous!?

Think I've been posting on basketball forums too much

I do wish the best for all Canadian cities though, and I don't want to be disliked by fellow forum members, so if someone could provide me with the original quote whereby I crucified Winnipeg I would REALLY appreciate it. If not I'll just have to assume crime rates in the prairies are up there with politics & religion - matters too sensitive to be discussed without risking offense.

Shinook, I'll never take offense to you bashing on my city. But please, re-read my past couple posts, straighten up and recognize I did not say ONE bad thing about Winnipeg. In fact, if you look through my post history you'll find I hold well-balanced, uncontroversial and favorable views of all Canadian cities.
Sorry sir, you are the equivalent to a sewage treatment plant right now. Try to convince someone else, because the response you received, from multiple forumers, was not simply because you were were just stating the "validity of statistics". You failed to even provide actual stats to back up your statements. You also posted with a tone that greatly exaggerated the problems that Winnipeg currently faces. And you also posted in a manner that suggest some major falsities, not to mention your smug, and narcissistic style of posting.

This is the kind of thing that shows that doing nothing but following hard stats can be extremely misleading - regardless of per capita readings.

Looks like we should all be avoid Nunavut unless we are packing heat right? I don't think I could walk around Iqaluit without constantly looking over my shoulder. You never know when someone could attack you. I am just pointing out the validity of the statistics at hand here.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 3:55 AM

Thanks for calling me a narcissistic, smug sewage treatment plant. I'll remember not to respond to your posts in the future.

Last edited by leftimage; Feb 22, 2013 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks for calling me a narcissistic, smug sewage treatment plant. I'll remember not to respond to your posts in the future.
And I thank you for providing me with that service.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 7:44 AM

Look at that graph and you will notice that the provinces with the highest percentage of the population who are natives have the highest murder rates.

It's a sad reality but a truthful one.............Natives are both more likely to murder and be victims of murder than the average Canadian. Overwhelmingly Canadian cities are very safe and the ones that aren't have one of two things...........a gang problem and/or a high Native population.

The gang problems can be tackled with gun laws, special crime units, justice system, and an engaging community but the violence/murders associated with our Native peoples will be much more difficult. Natives suffer from social isolation, poor health and education, high levels of domestic abuse and drug/alcohol addiction and many are born with fetal alcohol sysndrome which is a one way ticket to prison.

This is made much worse by the fact that there is VERY little interaction between Natives and non-Native in Canada. Natives make a paultry 3% of our population but a whopping 25% of our prison population and the crime rates in Western Canada will never get as low as Central/Eastern Canada without a very substantial drop in Native crime.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Look at that graph and you will notice that the provinces with the highest percentage of the population who are natives have the highest murder rates.

It's a sad reality but a truthful one.............Natives are both more likely to murder and be victims of murder than the average Canadian. Overwhelmingly Canadian cities are very safe and the ones that aren't have one of two things...........a gang problem and/or a high Native population.

The gang problems can be tackled with gun laws, special crime units, justice system, and an engaging community but the violence/murders associated with our Native peoples will be much more difficult. Natives suffer from social isolation, poor health and education, high levels of domestic abuse and drug/alcohol addiction and many are born with fetal alcohol sysndrome which is a one way ticket to prison.

This is made much worse by the fact that there is VERY little interaction between Natives and non-Native in Canada. Natives make a paultry 3% of our population but a whopping 25% of our prison population and the crime rates in Western Canada will never get as low as Central/Eastern Canada without a very substantial drop in Native crime.
I think ending the Canadian government's racist policies towards natives would be a step in the right direction. Natives are not second-rate citizens and should not be treated as such. They should be treated as equals and subjected to the exact same rules & regulations as non-native Canadians.

No more self-government, no more tax exemptions, no more special entitlements: Aboriginal peoples are just as a capable of thriving in a healthy democratic society as other Canadians.

Eliminating these policies would allow First nations people and other Canadians to come closer together, all the while facilitating access to great education, law enforcement, healthcare and other public services for the former.

We are all equal. Segregation is unacceptable in modern society, irrespective what may have transpired in the past. I have had first-hand experience on Canadian reserves - the social environment there is generally unhealthy and extremely poor when compared to Canadian cities & towns. Exactly the outcome I would expect for a place that didn't benefit from proper large-scale governance.

Aboriginal reserves are nothing more than prisons. The sooner they are abolished (not the towns themselves, but rather their status as reserves) the sooner their inhabitants will prosper.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 9:56 AM

Why is chrisallard5454 still not banned yet? Calling another forumer a "jack ass" and a "sewage treatment plant", apparently this is acceptable?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada