HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 9:18 PM

Sure Bousquet is a little overzealous at times but I think we're lucky to have him as our resident shit-disturber. If the details in the article are correct, it is pretty absurd that they demolished that block of Grafton with only a temporary closure permit.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 10:51 PM

Bousquet is really one-note in his reporting, and clearly has a hit list of politicians/developers/issues he just dislikes and goes after again and again. (And, sometimes, he gets his facts wrong out of what seems to be sloppiness rather than bias.)

But he has raked up some pretty good stuff, investigative-journalism-wise. I don't believe for a second that the Nova Centre is in serious danger of not going forward, but the reporting does expose a fairly ridiculous loophole in the way development works in the city. It's only a bit more ridiculous than the fact that demolition permits can be issued without an approved development application, which is part of what's left us (and a lot of cities, to be fair) with empty holes where there was once a useful structure.

He's a useful corrective to the absurd cheerleading in the Chronicle Herald, which would have us believe that every new development project is a super-amazing opportunity, and where I get the sense the editors and reporters are a little too buddy-buddy with the property developers.

Of course it's too bad we have to consult two news sources and try to find the middle ground by reading between the lines of each.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 10:56 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
Sure Bousquet is a little overzealous at times but I think we're lucky to have him as our resident shit-disturber. If the details in the article are correct, it is pretty absurd that they demolished that block of Grafton with only a temporary closure permit.
Luckily, as usual, his facts are wrong. The convention centre is written into the Downtown Halifax Land Use By-Law (HRM_by_Design) so it doesn't have to go before council again and doesn't require a public hearing. It can be approved under HRM_by_Design and only the qualitative elements will be considered, not the quantitative elements.

I am not sure where Tim Bousquet was when the 10 public consultations were held throughout the province? I think this project has had more input from the public than any other than I can think of (including the Central Library).

(source: http://www.halifax.ca/capitaldistric...signManual.pdf )
Quote:
Publically-Sponsored Convention Centre

(15A) Notwithstanding any provision of this By-law except subsections (14) through (17) of section 8, a publically-sponsored convention centre together with retail, hotel, residential or office, and underground parking space, may be developed on the two blocks bounded by Argyle Street, Prince Street, Market Street and Sackville Street in accordance with the drawings attached as Appendix "B" to this By-law. For the purposes of this subsection, “publically-sponsored convention centre” means an establishment funded or otherwise financially supported by any or all levels of government which is used for the holding of conventions, seminars, workshops, trade shows, meetings or similar activities, and which may include dining and lodging facilities for the use of the participants as well as other compatible accessory facilities.

(15B) In addition to the requirements of subsection (15A), the requirements of subsection (6) of section 5 shall apply. The Development Officer shall refer the application for site plan approval to the Design Review Committee for their approval of the proposal's qualitative elements as set out in section 1.1 b. of the Design Manual.

Last edited by fenwick16; Feb 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 1:11 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't mind the idea of a reporter questioning City Hall, TCL, etc. but as fenwick16 pointed out Tim Bousquet's facts are not always correct. His articles often have the feel of twitter rants. Partisan opinions may serve as a kind of sloppy counterweight but they're not nearly as useful as thoughtful and accurate reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Bousquet is really one-note in his reporting, and clearly has a hit list of politicians/developers/issues he just dislikes and goes after again and again. (And, sometimes, he gets his facts wrong out of what seems to be sloppiness rather than bias.)
He has ranted so much about certain issues that it's hard to take him seriously on any other issues. A lot of people at the Coast and a lot of activist type people in Halifax are so generally anti-development (or anti-money, anti-capitalism, whatever) that they can never view issues from a balanced perspective and offer real-world solutions. Everything is about evil developers and how the government should spend more money on stuff. That might be OK (not great) within the context of lobbying for government services like public housing but it completely fails as a city-wide outlook.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Worldly; is what he is saying untrue, or is he reporting facts? If they are facts then I find them quite intriguing. Since he writes for the COAST, he can write what he wants, since I pick up the COAST, I can choose to read it. If you find him irrelevant, why do you continue to seek out what he writes? inquiring minds needs to know.
Pretty sure he is reporting facts on the constuction aspects for the most part.

All this information is more or less public, so can easily be verified.

What is remarkable is that taking out a street usually requires a period for the public to be informed and then the street is then close. neither of which has happened.

And secondly if the street is part of the development then there would either need to be a sale of the land to the developer, and or an encroachment agreement sent to council. None of those have come as of yet.

I guess we will see in the next little bit the final plans sent to HRM by design and thereafter a permit, but it appears things are being done outside the normal rules for other.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 1:13 PM

[QUOTE=someone123;6006167]I don't mind the idea of a reporter questioning City Hall, TCL, etc. but as fenwick16 pointed out Tim Bousquet's facts are not always correct. His articles often have the feel of twitter rants. Partisan opinions may serve as a kind of sloppy counterweight but they're not nearly as useful as thoughtful and accurate reporting.

"Partisan opinions may serve as a kind of sloppy counterweight but they're not nearly as useful as thoughtful and accurate reporting."
I agree, however, I have to ask that you direct me to where in HRM I can find "thoughtful and accurate reporting." Hopefully there is such a source, otherwise it's a bit like telling me about this great cheese shop that doesn't actually have any cheese

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 4:31 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Another day, another fewer inches below street level. Love the cam angle for this one. Have a great view and we can even keep an eye on the TD progress.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I agree, however, I have to ask that you direct me to where in HRM I can find "thoughtful and accurate reporting." Hopefully there is such a source, otherwise it's a bit like telling me about this great cheese shop that doesn't actually have any cheese
Honestly, the Coast used to be just that. I'm not sure when the quality of the journalism plummeted but I would place it sometime between 2006 and 2009. Things were also a bit better before the Daily News became Metro.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
a lot of activist type people in Halifax are so generally anti-development (or anti-money, anti-capitalism, whatever) that they can never view issues from a balanced perspective and offer real-world solutions. Everything is about evil developers and how the government should spend more money on stuff. That might be OK (not great) within the context of lobbying for government services like public housing but it completely fails as a city-wide outlook.
I've asked a few people about this attitude/approach, and many have readily admitted that they think the best strategy is to make unrealistic (but idealistic) demands so that if the government finally reaches a compromise with them, it will be essentially what they wanted in the first place. Really, really frustrating attitude, IMO. A lot of people simply see the government as the "enemy" or at best, the "opponent". Class warfare and all that.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 12:09 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I have been watching the cam for a few mins. No activity at the Nova Site but I did notice how much the hook at the TD site was swinging in the wind. It's hard to spot with the 5sec refresh rate but noticeable otherwise.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't mind the idea of a reporter questioning City Hall, TCL, etc. but as fenwick16 pointed out Tim Bousquet's facts are not always correct. His articles often have the feel of twitter rants. Partisan opinions may serve as a kind of sloppy counterweight but they're not nearly as useful as thoughtful and accurate reporting.

He has ranted so much about certain issues that it's hard to take him seriously on any other issues. A lot of people at the Coast and a lot of activist type people in Halifax are so generally anti-development (or anti-money, anti-capitalism, whatever) that they can never view issues from a balanced perspective and offer real-world solutions. Everything is about evil developers and how the government should spend more money on stuff. That might be OK (not great) within the context of lobbying for government services like public housing but it completely fails as a city-wide outlook.

Look at this gem from Bousquet today, following a long, seemingly delusional rant about stores that are in malls being open on a snow day:

https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/sta...68123641237504

Quote:
@Tim_Bousquet If you don't want to work at you job at the mall today, just call in a bomb threat. It's not rocket science.
Holy cow.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 10:42 PM
we built this city

Is he actually a Haligonian? Meaning, did he grow up in Halifax?

Sounds like somebody from Onterrible to me.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Is he actually a Haligonian? Meaning, did he grow up in Halifax?

Sounds like somebody from Onterrible to me.
He's actually from California, originally. Read all about it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Look at this gem from Bousquet today, following a long, seemingly delusional rant about stores that are in malls being open on a snow day:

https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/sta...68123641237504

Holy cow.
My God.. He really is a dumbass isnt he?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 11:22 PM

So hes a Yank. Figures. Does he even pay taxes?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
So hes a Yank. Figures. Does he even pay taxes?
Probably. Anyone who resides in Canada more than 183 days per year and earns income in the country is required to pay Canadian taxes, citizen or not. Anyway, I don't think that should be a grounds for criticism. Lord knows the U.S. sucked up enough Canadians during the mid-century brain drains, we shouldn't begrudge Americans coming here.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 1:23 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Probably. Anyone who resides in Canada more than 183 days per year and earns income in the country is required to pay Canadian taxes, citizen or not. Anyway, I don't think that should be a grounds for criticism. Lord knows the U.S. sucked up enough Canadians during the mid-century brain drains, we shouldn't begrudge Americans coming here.
If Bousquet represents the majority of Americans coming here, it doesn't seem like a very fair trade off lol.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Still, seems very strange for a non-Canadian to be dictating where tax dollars should go.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 11:13 AM
we built this city

Quote:
He's actually from California, originally. Read all about it.
Even worse, not even a Canadian telling us what to think!

Deport this clown to New York, he'll shit a brick.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Still, seems very strange for a non-Canadian to be dictating where tax dollars should go.
Not defending him.... But... doesn't matter where he was born and raised, he can still have opinions about taxes and what should be done with them. There are plenty of Canadians with stupid ideas about plenty of things. Let's try not to attach the validity of a person's opinions to something like where they were born.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth