HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:18 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

[SSP Group Project] Writing Petition for Proper Interchange at 1 & 16

I find ourselves in this dilemma:
(1) We need the petition to be well thought out so M.I.T. doesn't just dismiss it as a kid throwing tantrum.
(2) On the other hand, we're racing against the time here before M.I.T. actually builds that brainless thing.
That said, no one does it all by himself/herself, so let's try to compile this together.

=====
Materials:
Fatal crash: https://globalnews.ca/news/3683066/f...ie-highway-16/
News about 1 & 16 roundabout: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ding-1.5651983
1 & 16 interchange design: http://www.valueanalysis.ca/upload/c...%20to%20VE.pdf, slide 19

Quote:
La version française suit.
Context: 1 & 16 near Portage la Prairie, MB, is a very dangerous intersection (with traffic lights!) which has seen numerous fatal crashes. There was a plan in place to replace it with an interchange. However, lately the province of Manitoba has touted a roundabout as a solution instead, which, in my opinion, does disservice to both flow of goods and to those who know someone who died there. It's paying money to make things worse.

Contexte: L'intersection des routes 1 & 16 près de Portage la Praire au Manitoba est reconnue pour être très meurtrière et a fait de nombreuses victimes depuis plusieurs années. Une proposition préliminaire visant à la remplacer par un échangeur a été avancée dans le passé. Toutefois, le gouvernement du Manitoba a récemment décidé de remplacer l'intersection en question par un carrefour giratoire. Cette configuration pourrait affecter l'acheminement de marchandises jusqu'aux commerces, et aurait également pour effet d'ignorer ces victimes. À cette fin, nous demandons que le gouvernement considère la construction d'un échangeur à cet endroit comme seule et unique option, et nous demandons que toute option alternative ne soit pas envisagée.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Feb 25, 2021 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Thanks, le_calmar.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:26 AM
Back from the dead

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:29 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I clicked the link and didn't see it though. On top it says, "You do not have the right to edit this petition".
Since you can still edit though, if you want, you can incorporate some of the links provided in #1.

Ps: Should we translate it into French too (to grab the attention of francophones, particularly Quebecois truckers)? My French is half-baked.

Edit: Okay, the link works now. I feel that the content is a bit vague though. It's almost like only road geeks (?) like us will know what you're talking about.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 2:03 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Anyway, this is what I wrote to describe the petition:
Quote:
Context: 1 & 16 near Portage la Prairie, MB, is a very dangerous intersection (with traffic lights!) which has seen numerous fatal crashes. There was a plan in place to replace it with an interchange. However, lately the province of Manitoba has touted a roundabout as a solution instead, which, in my opinion, does disservice to both flow of goods and to those who know someone who died there. It's paying money to make things worse.
I will just translate on spot:
Quote:
Contexte: L'intersection des routes 1 & 16 près de Portage la Praire au Manitoba est très meurtrière en faisant plusieurs victimes depuis des années. Il y avait un plan préliminaire pour la remplacer par un échangeur. Toutefois, récemment, le gouvernement du Manitoba ne voulait que la remplacer avec un carrefour giratoire. Ceci n'allait qu'interrompre le transport des commerces et que faire moquer des victimes. Alors on demanderait un échangeur là et rien d'autre.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Feb 25, 2021 at 2:15 AM. Reason: French is hard...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 2:27 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Signed the petition.

This needs to gain more traction. That roundabout is too ridiculous to have this go through.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 2:33 AM

Signed!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 11:57 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I showed GlassCity this (who now works in Langley, B.C.), and he said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity
Interesting! Hope they're writing to their MLAs about it too

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:02 PM
the first stamp is free

edit - moved to highway thread

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 6:09 PM

Change.org petitions are a good way of gathering signatures, but are basically always dismissed out of hand. When it's ready, it would be good to send the signed letter directly to the relevant MLAs and MPs, where it will actually be read by their staff.

Ron R Schuler, Manitoba Minister of Infrastructure
Catherine McKenna, Federal Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
Omar Alghabra, Federal Minister of Transport
Ian Wishart, MLA for Portage la Prairie
Candice Bergen, MP for Portage—Lisgar

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 7:32 PM

Keeps saying my session has expired. Will try signing again later.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Anyway, this is what I wrote to describe the petition:

I will just translate on spot:
My suggestion. I made quite a few changes in spite of your text being pretty good. I essentially improved the flow.

Quote:
Contexte: L'intersection des routes 1 & 16 près de Portage la Praire au Manitoba est reconnue pour être très meurtrière et a fait de nombreuses victimes depuis plusieurs années. Une proposition préliminaire visant à la remplacer par un échangeur a été avancée dans le passé. Toutefois, le gouvernement du Manitoba a récemment décidé de remplacer l'intersection en question par un carrefour giratoire. Cette configuration pourrait affecter l'acheminement de marchandises jusqu'aux commerces, et aurait également pour effet d'ignorer ces victimes. À cette fin, nous demandons que le gouvernement considère la construction d'un échangeur à cet endroit comme seule et unique option, et nous demandons que toute option alternative ne soit pas envisagée.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 8:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
My suggestion. I made quite a few changes in spite of your text being pretty good. I essentially improved the flow.
Dayum thanks lol. It reads much more formally.
If my original version is like the current state of TCH, yours is like a completely grade-separated version of it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:17 AM
Ignore these four words.

Signed.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Change.org petitions are a good way of gathering signatures, but are basically always dismissed out of hand. When it's ready, it would be good to send the signed letter directly to the relevant MLAs and MPs, where it will actually be read by their staff.

Ron R Schuler, Manitoba Minister of Infrastructure
Catherine McKenna, Federal Minister of Infrastructure and Communities
Omar Alghabra, Federal Minister of Transport
Ian Wishart, MLA for Portage la Prairie
Candice Bergen, MP for Portage—Lisgar
I highly doubt the letters will be read; I’ve emailed Ron Schuler numerous times without so much as an automated “thank you for contacting us” email. The Putin of springfield doesn’t need to respond to his constituents he’s going to win regardless. I hate that man.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 12:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I highly doubt the letters will be read; I’ve emailed Ron Schuler numerous times without so much as an automated “thank you for contacting us” email. The Putin of springfield doesn’t need to respond to his constituents he’s going to win regardless. I hate that man.
That’s strange. Here in Ontario, they actually bothered to get back to my emails...
It’ll be interesting to see whether or not this will become a ballot issue AND whether or not the conservatives and NDP alike sense it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan