HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 5:25 AM
Heart of the Continent

You can't really compare what's happening in Alberta and Saskatchewan right now to Manitoba. The province is starting to work on things from their end though....the city is just whining about not having money.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw6969 View Post
Wow I just lookied at the long term plan stuff

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/planningstudies/

There already planing for a third ring road. Look at the right side. Long term vision road. How fast are we growing.

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/adx/as...ecommended.pdf
They should put all the $$ spent on planning imaginary roads into building ones we critically need.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
That interchange is really close to that farm on the south east side.
I think both places are being relocated or bulldozed (house on the NW side).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 3:54 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I just moved to Edmonton recently, and their infrastructure is so much better than Winnipeg's. It is inexcusable that Kenaston has no overpasses, especially where the new IKEA is being built. Edmonton is just finishing off the NW portion of Anthony Henday, and the West side of the highway is being upgraded into a limited access freeway. Overpasses are being constructed on the QE2, Whitemud, and many others. I wish Winnipeg could have 1/4 of the overpasses Edmonton does.
Maybe you should change your name to Oilers4life

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 6:42 PM

^ He's right though

as jmt said, the city is good at making excuses about not having money. Winnipeg is the only major city in Manitoba, but there's always a lack of vision here compared to other cities in Canada

The infrastructure in Winnipeg could be so much more than that 3-left turning lanes abomination on Kenaston, or the stupid decisions on Lag; its like the city whines about $$$ issues but then its also cheaper to do it now than it would be in the future when we might actually need it...but most importantly, free flowing traffic is generally safer traffic. As a user pointed out, Calgary has a lower amount of collisions - partly due to their free flowing traffic structure, and also, with that comes better drivers (that actually know how to use interchanges properly and give way etc...)

In the UK, it seems strange to have round-abouts, hell I personally prefer 4 way stop signs, but it keeps traffic going, and in practice actually works very well & is safer in the long term. This is an example of an infrastructure choice. I don't think roundabouts should be adopted here; no, my point is the choice made. Winnipeg could make a choice to go with more overpasses.

Circle drive is a great example. Saskatoon had that infrastructure set up before the city started really booming. They just did it right from the get go. I think a big issue with Winnipeg lies in the road system is just all patchwork in some areas...that to start constructed overpasses and underpasses etc...would just be a huge headache for the city, so rather than go for it and do it, they just let it be since "its working anyways"

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
^ He's right though

as jmt said, the city is good at making excuses about not having money. Winnipeg is the only major city in Manitoba, but there's always a lack of vision here compared to other cities in Canada

The infrastructure in Winnipeg could be so much more than that 3-left turning lanes abomination on Kenaston, or the stupid decisions on Lag; its like the city whines about $$$ issues but then its also cheaper to do it now than it would be in the future when we might actually need it...but most importantly, free flowing traffic is generally safer traffic. As a user pointed out, Calgary has a lower amount of collisions - partly due to their free flowing traffic structure, and also, with that comes better drivers (that actually know how to use interchanges properly and give way etc...)

In the UK, it seems strange to have round-abouts, hell I personally prefer 4 way stop signs, but it keeps traffic going, and in practice actually works very well & is safer in the long term. This is an example of an infrastructure choice. I don't think roundabouts should be adopted here; no, my point is the choice made. Winnipeg could make a choice to go with more overpasses.

Circle drive is a great example. Saskatoon had that infrastructure set up before the city started really booming. They just did it right from the get go. I think a big issue with Winnipeg lies in the road system is just all patchwork in some areas...that to start constructed overpasses and underpasses etc...would just be a huge headache for the city, so rather than go for it and do it, they just let it be since "its working anyways"
Saskatoon and Regina both have good ring roads (or partial ringroads) that are free-flowing. And of course, Edmonton and Calgary do to.

The main problem in Winnipeg, IMO, is the way we developed. Probably 75% of the city's land was developed in a time before freeways were even considered - on the same note, a high percentage of land was developed at a time before amalgamation (i.e. in a region with 13 or 14 municipalities, each with their own priorities, it would have been harder to develop a freeway network that would cross several jurisdictions).

The only option for free-flowing traffic now is the "inner ring-road" of roughly Kenaston (or Moray/Charleswood Pkwy), Bishop, Lag (or Plessis), Peguis...And even then, some of those intersections haven't left much room for grade- separated infrastructure (i.e Lag and Regent, Kenaston and McGillivray). Others, (i.e. Lag and Patterson) don't have the traffic to warrant an overpass; and still others (i.e. Bishop and Shorehill, Bishop and De la Seigneurie) not only don't have the traffic, but are essentially 3-way stops, which could make for more complicated overpass configurations.

As much as I love driving Calgary's "trails" (at least outside of peak hours), I have to wonder how much they will cost to maintain 25 years out, when a vast majority of bridges/sections will need simultaneous upgrading/replacement/maintenance. You have to remember that nearly the whole network is 30 years old or less there - with probably close to 100 grade-separated intersections in that city, it will surely become a heavy burden on an already large infrastructure deficit ($6 B or so now)...

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 7:58 PM

Here i think is better look at the ring road extensions and future road developement in regina, compared to the above pdf which dosent give the best view. Thats grey future bypass in the above pdfs would be way, way, way down the line in my opionon.

http://www.regina.ca/AssetFactory.aspx?did=400

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Here i think is better look at the ring road extensions and future road developement in regina, compared to the above pdf which dosent give the best view. Thats grey future bypass in the above pdfs would be way, way, way down the line in my opionon.

As this map is 4 years old, it'd be nice if the city would update it. Things have changed particularily in the areas of Harbour Landing/Pinkie Road, The Creeks, Greens on Gardiner, and development plans for North Argyle Park.

The one thing that remains constant is that the new SE bypass will be built where Tower Road is.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post

That one only shows the second ring road, the one I found shows the third ring road which goes threw Balagonie. I would assume 10 to 15 years from now after the second ring road is half finished or something. Maybe 300000 population.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
That one only shows the second ring road, the one I found shows the third ring road which goes threw Balagonie. I would assume 10 to 15 years from now after the second ring road is half finished or something. Maybe 300000 population.
The point of the link to the City's roadway map was not to show the 'third' ring road as you call it, but to show the SE bypass/"second" ring road in relation to wrapping around the city (NE bypass eventually, combined with the new West bypass.

The bypass from Balgonie south need not even be considered until the Tower Road bypass is up and running. The map you are referring to was just a schematic indicating a potential location for a future bypass, it does not confirm that this will ever happen in the near future. The Balgonie bypass would be in the $500 million + range to construct. Think about how long that distance is and how many interchanges would need to be involved.

If they can't commit to $50 million in a booming economy, to build from #1 @Tower Road to Albert St, how will they ever fund & construct a super-long bypass like the Balgonie bypass?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
If they can't commit to $50 million in a booming economy, to build from #1 @Tower Road to Albert St, how will they ever fund & construct a super-long bypass like the Balgonie bypass?
I do not think $50 million would come even close. I would guess it will be more than $200 million. Remember the Lewvan interchange alone is costing close to $40 million. This bypass would have a minimum of 3 more interchanges, plus they have to buy the land, build the 4 lane road, cross Wascana Creek, etc.

http://www2.canada.com/reginaleaderp...6-563e0735dd4d

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 3:33 AM

Quote:

If you read the timing of the various stages - they are only talking about doing the highway 46 and 48 interchanges in the 10-15 year time frame. Which is not soon enough given the rate of accidents out there - impatient people wanting to cross TCH and not seeing on-coming traffic. The SUV that crossed TCH in front of the motorcycle on thanksgiving weekend was nasty.

Stage 5 which is the "third ring road" is in the very long term 50+ years. I imagine it will take a lot longer than 50 yrs for the city to grow out past White city and justify the need for any kind of Balgonie by-pass (half of which is already built btw). We could be flying around on hover boards and jet packs in that time frame.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I do not think $50 million would come even close. I would guess it will be more than $200 million. Remember the Lewvan interchange alone is costing close to $40 million. This bypass would have a minimum of 3 more interchanges, plus they have to buy the land, build the 4 lane road, cross Wascana Creek, etc.

http://www2.canada.com/reginaleaderp...6-563e0735dd4d
My bad - i wasn't suggesting the whole project would cost $50 million, i meant a $50 million commitment towards the overall cost of the project.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Saskatoon and Regina both have good ring roads (or partial ringroads) that are free-flowing. And of course, Edmonton and Calgary do to.

The main problem in Winnipeg, IMO, is the way we developed. Probably 75% of the city's land was developed in a time before freeways were even considered - on the same note, a high percentage of land was developed at a time before amalgamation (i.e. in a region with 13 or 14 municipalities, each with their own priorities, it would have been harder to develop a freeway network that would cross several jurisdictions).

The only option for free-flowing traffic now is the "inner ring-road" of roughly Kenaston (or Moray/Charleswood Pkwy), Bishop, Lag (or Plessis), Peguis...And even then, some of those intersections haven't left much room for grade- separated infrastructure (i.e Lag and Regent, Kenaston and McGillivray). Others, (i.e. Lag and Patterson) don't have the traffic to warrant an overpass; and still others (i.e. Bishop and Shorehill, Bishop and De la Seigneurie) not only don't have the traffic, but are essentially 3-way stops, which could make for more complicated overpass configurations.

As much as I love driving Calgary's "trails" (at least outside of peak hours), I have to wonder how much they will cost to maintain 25 years out, when a vast majority of bridges/sections will need simultaneous upgrading/replacement/maintenance. You have to remember that nearly the whole network is 30 years old or less there - with probably close to 100 grade-separated intersections in that city, it will surely become a heavy burden on an already large infrastructure deficit ($6 B or so now)...
Really good points Bdog

I agree, Winnipeg was also 13 other cities before the amalgamation, and they probably just developed however they saw fit at the time (might have had something to do with the way the city has ended up infrastructure-wise)

it is a lot of patch work. I do feel though that if the city really wanted to, they could look into these things more, and spend the money needed to work this up. a lot of us have noted for example with Lag, whats the point of it being 80km/hr if theres a few intersections of lights where you can't even get to 50km/hr before you hit another set of reds.

your ideas are real good though...what would you propose the city do to work around this? I do believe there could be more free-flowing traffic in the Peg if it was made a priority. Obviously the city runs just fine the way it is, but I've noticed commute times increase during peak hours these last 5 years alone

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 2:15 PM
What could go wrong?

I would really hope that upgrading major highways around Winnipeg will become a priority for the Provincial Govt. They have had a couple of years of major projects within it's overall yearly highways budget - $50 mil for upgrading Hwy 1 from the Perimeter to Hwy 12 (Steinbach) and $100 mil or so for Hwy 75 south. I hope that they make the Perimeter a priority and (fingers crossed) they realize that the highway network that makes this province run doesn't stop at the Perimeter.

For the network to work properly the highways that continue through Winnipeg - 59, 90, 1, and Bishop need upgrading as well and the City of Winnipeg CAN'T AFFORD to upgrade these roads up to the proper standards needed - shit, the city can barely afford to patch the potholes on these highways.

There needs to be some kind of agreement on major highways within the City that are covered by the Province (or Federal for that matter), aka the Interstate system in the US. I mean dedicated funding for certain roadways, otherwise the money will get pissed away.

The Perimeter highway shouldn't be a barrier for highway funding Provincially of Federally.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 8:53 PM

Lewvan Drive & #1 Hwy opens (Regina)

http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/Defaul...1-5b6268429d8a

NEW LEWVAN-HIGHWAY 1 INTERCHANGE OPENS TODAY IN REGINA
Construction is complete and traffic is flowing today on the new $29 million Highway 1 and Lewvan Drive interchange in southwest Regina.
Ray Boughen, Member of Parliament for Palliser joined Saskatchewan's Highways and Infrastructure Minister Jim Reiter today to mark the completion of construction and officially open the new interchange.
"Our government is pleased to have invested in this important project that will improve safety and the overall flow of traffic along this busy corridor," said Boughen. "This interchange project is an excellent example of our commitment to improving highway infrastructure here in Saskatchewan and right across Canada."
"A long-term safety concern for motorists at this busy intersection has now been addressed," Reiter said. "As commercial and residential development at this location continues to expand and traffic volumes continue to increase, we now have the infrastructure in place to provide safer and more efficient travel for motorists."
This project is jointly funded by the provincial and federal governments. Through the Building Canada Fund, the Government of Canada is contributing 50 per cent of the total eligible project costs of $13 million, with the province providing the remaining $16 million.
Completed work at the intersection of Lewvan Drive and Highway 1 includes the construction and paving of overpass embankments and ramps, the bridge structure and service roads. A temporary paved surface has been laid on the ramps and bridge to ensure the interchange is in service before winter. In the spring of 2012 additional paving will be done to complete the project. Over the next month permanent guard rails, overhead signage and lighting will be installed.
The Government of Canada's Economic Action Plan provided almost $12 billion in new infrastructure stimulus funding over two years and accelerated the $33 billion Building Canada Plan. This will contribute to long-term economic growth in communities across Canada through investments in public infrastructure, such as roads, water treatment, green energy and transit.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
http://www.highways.gov.sk.ca/Defaul...1-5b6268429d8a

NEW LEWVAN-HIGHWAY 1 INTERCHANGE OPENS TODAY IN REGINA
Construction is complete and traffic is flowing today on the new $29 million Highway 1 and Lewvan Drive interchange in southwest Regina.
Ray Boughen, Member of Parliament for Palliser joined Saskatchewan's Highways and Infrastructure Minister Jim Reiter today to mark the completion of construction and officially open the new interchange.
"Our government is pleased to have invested in this important project that will improve safety and the overall flow of traffic along this busy corridor," said Boughen. "This interchange project is an excellent example of our commitment to improving highway infrastructure here in Saskatchewan and right across Canada."
"A long-term safety concern for motorists at this busy intersection has now been addressed," Reiter said. "As commercial and residential development at this location continues to expand and traffic volumes continue to increase, we now have the infrastructure in place to provide safer and more efficient travel for motorists."
This project is jointly funded by the provincial and federal governments. Through the Building Canada Fund, the Government of Canada is contributing 50 per cent of the total eligible project costs of $13 million, with the province providing the remaining $16 million.
Completed work at the intersection of Lewvan Drive and Highway 1 includes the construction and paving of overpass embankments and ramps, the bridge structure and service roads. A temporary paved surface has been laid on the ramps and bridge to ensure the interchange is in service before winter. In the spring of 2012 additional paving will be done to complete the project. Over the next month permanent guard rails, overhead signage and lighting will be installed.
The Government of Canada's Economic Action Plan provided almost $12 billion in new infrastructure stimulus funding over two years and accelerated the $33 billion Building Canada Plan. This will contribute to long-term economic growth in communities across Canada through investments in public infrastructure, such as roads, water treatment, green energy and transit.
Hmm. They originally siad it was a $34 million project. Could this be the first project in years to come in under budget in Regina?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 10:38 PM

It looks like crews are installing massive lights at the South Albert St. and Lewvan Dr. interchanges (@ Hwy #1). That'll be nice. (Finally!)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
It looks like crews are installing massive lights at the South Albert St. and Lewvan Dr. interchanges (@ Hwy #1). That'll be nice. (Finally!)
They r also installing lights along the south portionof ring road.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 10:55 PM

Yes they are... This is most needed... especially in winter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan