HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 2:24 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Bengals aren't going anywhere through at least 2027 (thank Hamilton County for that).

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 2:40 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
All I can say is the Chargers are not moving there because the Spanos family refuses to sell a large percentage of the team and the only way this will make financial sense for AEG is if they own at least 45% of the team if not more.
But if the Chargers were the second team, would that matter? AEG can't have a stake in both hypothetical teams that would move there. If they were to get a piece of say the Rams and move them to LA, then owning a piece of the second team should no longer be a factor.

As for the Raiders, does anyone in LA want to deal with Al Davis again? I thought he burned all his bridges down there, and I don't know if there's an appetite to forgive and forget like Oakland unfortunately did in the 90's.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:18 AM
It could be worse!

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Rams get a new owner who wants to keep the team in Saint Louis? And Al Davis will be lucky to be alive by the time this stadium is built. The guy is 82 and in poor health.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:21 AM
Pipe Layer

Repeat after me everyone:

the

chargers

are

not

going

anywhere

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:36 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipani View Post
If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Rams get a new owner who wants to keep the team in Saint Louis? And Al Davis will be lucky to be alive by the time this stadium is built. The guy is 82 and in poor health.
Good point about Al. He already looks half dead. I don't know about the Rams ownership situation. I've just read that the stadium is lacking (as shocking as that sounds for a relatively new building) and they want a new one. Coupled with their history in LA, they seem like a potential tenant. But,

I think a lot of people bring up the Chargers because of the relatively short move and (like the Rams) the history in LA. Personally, I'd much rather see them stay in SD. I know there's a lot more to a modern NFL stadium than this, but the Q still looks great on TV.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:38 AM

^--- .... past the Divisional Round of the AFC playoffs, you mean?

edit: peanut gallery ruined my one-liner by getting his post in before mine

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:42 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Sorry about that, Shawn! The joke still works though!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:54 AM
Pipe Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
^--- .... past the Divisional Round of the AFC playoffs, you mean?
Hey now, at least we got an NFL team, Mr. Tokyo.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 11:39 AM

LA's best bet for a new team is the Jaguars, tbh. The Charger and Ram talk is just fantasy. Not sure about the Raiders tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
yup, those comments were exactly what i was going to add.

btw, LA will get 3 superbowls in the first ten years, you can count on that, as well as being included in the short final four rotation. AEG has said that already every major event you can think of has contacted them and is interested. this will be HUGE for Downtown and for LA.
The Final Four? In an open air stadium? Where wind becomes a factor for the first time in the NCAA Championship? I don't think so. As for hosting Super Bowls, I think one every five years or so for this new stadium. Yeah, it's LA, but there are plenty of other great hosts for the SB.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Raiders to Santa Clara. SD to LA. Would Vegas take bets on these? Anyone want to post odds on the 5 or 6 leading candidates?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 5:13 PM
It could be worse!

Odds would be tough to determine, but the teams most likely to relocate have been well-known for awhile: Rams, Raiders, Vikings, Bills, Chargers and Jaguars.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
LA's best bet for a new team is the Jaguars, tbh. The Charger and Ram talk is just fantasy. Not sure about the Raiders tho.

The Final Four? In an open air stadium? Where wind becomes a factor for the first time in the NCAA Championship? I don't think so. As for hosting Super Bowls, I think one every five years or so for this new stadium. Yeah, it's LA, but there are plenty of other great hosts for the SB.
Its a retractable roof just for this reason. Its also.doubling as convention space. Also, read all the reports and analysis, the charges and rams are clearly the two favorites to land in la for numerous reasons.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 7:58 PM
ParanoidAndroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoXZ View Post
Repeat after me everyone:

the

chargers

are

not

going

anywhere

the

chargers

are

not

going

anywhere

Got it.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
If the Bills are going anywhere once Ralph Wilson dies, it'll be Toronto.

LA's best bets are getting the Jaguars (a perennial afterthought in an already crowded southern football market), the Vikings (if they can't get a new stadium built in the Twin Cities) and the Bengals (apathy thanks to its idiot owner is sky-high, coupled with a bad stadium deal and the fact that Cincinnati doesn't deserve to have any pro sports teams).
Arrgggh hell no. There is no way we're getting crappy franchises that have no fan base as comparable to Raiders, Rams, and Chargers. No need to start over.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 11:04 PM
Pipe Layer

Vikings and Bengals aren't crappy franchises. Both have history and a well established fan base. Jaguars on the other hand. . . .why do they exist?

But why would you care if a team has an established fan base or not? Whoever moves to LA will get a new slate and start over in a new, attractive market.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 11:20 PM
E pluribus unum

The Bengals had a fanbase in the 1980s before Paul Brown died and his idiot son took over. They've been a crappy franchise for well over 20 years now and as a former Cincinnatian, I'd say good riddance.

And lets face it: The Raiders fanbase is nothing to be proud of. However, they'd make the most sense for relocation. On Sundays in the fall, most Angelenos act like the Raiders never left LA.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Arrgggh hell no. There is no way we're getting crappy franchises that have no fan base as comparable to Raiders, Rams, and Chargers. No need to start over.
Ummmmm.....the Vikings are the 6th most popular franchise, apparently. Their fan-base is outstanding. I'm convinced you have no idea what you are talking about now.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoXZ View Post
Hey now, at least we got an NFL team, Mr. Tokyo.
Haha fair enough, although believe it or not there is a pro football league in Japan (the X-League). We even have a championship game called . . . the Rice Bowl. No joke.

But I should point out, I'm actually a Foxboro native and the house I grew up in is so close to Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro/Gillette Stadium that crowd noise is usually louder outside on the porch than inside from the TV.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:25 AM
BANNED

Why is the talk always about other teams moving? Has the NFL stated that there will be no more expansion? They haven't added a team in years. I don't see why they wouldn't want to up to 32 teams.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:32 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Why is the talk always about other teams moving? Has the NFL stated that there will be no more expansion? They haven't added a team in years. I don't see why they wouldn't want to up to 32 teams.
There are already 32 teams.

If anything, the league's spread too thin and would probably benefit from contracting five or six teams.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions