HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 29, 2016, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Never a good sign!
renovations? its barely a yr old

also too bad about tonys corners. i went there at least once a month. always a steady flow of traffic. wonder if the LRT played a role in Tonys corner closing

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palace1 View Post
The Tony's Corners restaurant on King St. E. has closed.

...I also noticed that Wendel Clark's in the Lister Block is closed for renovations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Never a good sign!
Haven't they only been open two years or so? Never had the occasion to go inside so maybe it does already need an update?

Not saying it's the case here, but I've seen many times where a licensed establishment closes for a few days or a couple weeks 'for renovations' after a brush with the AGCO. They only list publicly suspensions of 14 days or longer, so we'll have to wait and see just how much of an update they can pull off during this closure.

Sounds funny but I've walked by that particular Wendy's countless times, when it's open for business, but have never felt even the urge to go inside.
It could just be the sordid saga leading up to their occupancy, nothing to do with them, or maybe they really do need a reno already.

No offence to Wendel Clark, or his growing Ontario-based chain (Go Wendel!), but it's too bad there couldn't have been a little more of a Hamilton story to develop in that space, after it finally became available following so many years of uncertainty.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
wonder if the LRT played a role in Tonys corner closing
I blame the bus lane.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 4:56 PM

It looks like Wendel Clark's opened the beginning of July 2015. I found this on their web site.

Quote:
Our Hamilton location is temporarily closed for renovations.
A new and improved Wendel Clark’s is coming at the end of February 2017 to serve you better.
I also checked their reviews on a few sites and they where in most part, not very good.

This was one of the comments-

Quote:
From the outside it looks really nice - inside looks like a Denny's with a bunch of TV's.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 8:06 PM

Been to Wendel Clark's at Lister block a few times for various reasons..., dinner drinks, watching the game, patio for Super Crawl.

Always had a good experience, good food, good drinks and good service.

I like it fine.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 8:18 PM

I've heard through a game of telephone (ie, not ver reliable) that the locks were changed at Wendel Clark's. We'll see if they reopen...

Honestly, I've never been, and I don't know of anyone that's been.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 12:00 AM

It probably did ok when it was the only thing around there but there are numerous better restaurants within 100 yards of it

Old Posted Jan 1, 2017, 4:04 PM

i dont think you can really say this was in direct competition with the "numerous better restaurants" in the area... this was a sports bar and had a very sports bar feel to it... there prob. is a demographic for this type of place amongst the other places that have opened up.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 3:11 AM
Hammer'd

Maybe the franchise owner is switching to someone else? Nearly every time I've walked by, the place looked pretty busy and was even packed regularly for big events at copps and what not. It definitely seemed to do pretty well.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Maybe the franchise owner is switching to someone else? Nearly every time I've walked by, the place looked pretty busy and was even packed regularly for big events at copps and what not. It definitely seemed to do pretty well.
Really? I work close to it and it always seemed pretty dead the vast majority of the time.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 10:26 PM

I wouldn't be suprised if they're doing really poorly in terms of business. The food is wonderfully average at best, and the only good deals they have are on pitchers of beer, which I suppose has a market. Unfortunately Wendels' doesn't have the brand recognition of some larger chains like Moxies, Earls or The Keg, so immediately it's not a destination restaurant.

I work in the Empire Times building and hardly see the place packed, even during evenings.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
... Unfortunately Wendels' doesn't have the brand recognition of some larger chains like Moxies, Earls or The Keg, so immediately it's not a destination restaurant...
^ this. When it was announced that Wendel's was going into the space, I remember thinking that the City must be relieved: a franchise restaurant that will be a stable tenant.

The dilemma is this, imo: as davidcappi points out, a solid franchise like The Keg is a destination restaurant. But The Keg also needs density locally. Their new'ish location in Toronto's King Street West is supported by a vibrant nightlife in the area. Not so much on James N.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:43 PM

Wondering if the space should be severed? Smaller restaurants/bars don't have a problem in that area.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 5:25 PM

Today I'm seeing multiple Wendel Clark's banner ads on the Hamilton Spectator site. Suppose that could be an indication of their intentions, or just the remnant of an earlier bulk ad purchase?

A Keg (anybody here remember when it was The Keg and Cleaver?) on that corner would handily replace the hole left from the demise of the the Sirloin Cellar.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller View Post
Today I'm seeing multiple Wendel Clark's banner ads on the Hamilton Spectator site. Suppose that could be an indication of their intentions, or just the remnant of an earlier bulk ad purchase?

A Keg (anybody here remember when it was The Keg and Cleaver?) on that corner would handily replace the hole left from the demise of the the Sirloin Cellar.
I don't remember that but I do recall Slainte being a Keg way, way back. Or have I misremembered? Can anyone else verify this possibly false memory?

Downtown used to have several big brand restaurants in the city centre going back 30 years or so.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 11:52 PM

https://www.foodserviceandhospitalit...s-in-hamilton/

HAMILTON, Ont. — Dynamic Hospitality & Entertainment Group has announced plans to renovate the Wendel Clark’s Classic Grill and Sports Lounge location in Hamilton, Ont.

As part of a larger plan of upgrades and openings for the full-service restaurant, Dynamic Hospitality plans to refurbish the location with refreshed decor, optimized viewership for sports games and a more efficient kitchen. The renovation, which began late last month is scheduled for completion in late February.

“The needs and enjoyment of our guests are our top priorities at Wendel’s and we’re excited about the changes planned,” says Sam D’Uva, co-managing director of Dynamic Hospitality. “Hamilton is a huge sports town and fans will enjoy the upgraded state-of-the-art destination to watch their favourite game while sharing a great meal with friends and family.”

Dynamic also recently announced plans for a new Wendel Clark’s location in Brampton and is reviewing sites for two additional openings this year.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 3:38 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I don't remember that but I do recall Slainte being a Keg way, way back. Or have I misremembered? Can anyone else verify this possibly false memory?
You remember correctly. It was a Keg up until at least the early-90s, but I'm not sure when it opened. Slainte opened in 1996 according to Yelp (which sounds right because I recall going there quite a bit in my mid-late 20s). Don't recall if there was something between the two, or if the building was empty for a time.

I also recall that part of the interior for Slainte was imported from a pub in Ireland.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 1:33 PM

Slainte has been shuttered for two years (?). Anyone know if there are plans for the building?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

I used to work a short time at the old courthouse when McMaster was a tenant and staff used to go to Slainte every Friday for fish and chips. The place was packed for lunch with admins and lawyers, too bad.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Slainte has been shuttered for two years (?). Anyone know if there are plans for the building?
I heard a rumour it was reopening recently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation