HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:08 AM
Ann Arbor, Pale Blue Dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
There is demand for office city wide too but for a site like this to be on-hold for so long, tells you something about the location, and the rates their asking. Its not like there isn't office construction and deals NOT being signed within the city, but quite the opposite. There is a toxic aroma regarding this tower, and the limiting reagent are the negotiations.
I know, I know. I won't disagree there. I'm just hoping I can "LA LA LA" it away in my brain until something does, in fact, happen.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:26 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Since the government has now approved Disney’s takeover of 21st Century Fox, the prospect that I raised seems even more viable. Fox, which has a few years left on its lease, had sought over 1 m sf at 2 WTC. Disney currently seeks about 1m sf.
If that’s true, then Larry better reach out for a very important business meeting!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
If that’s true, then Larry better reach out for a very important business meeting!
Disney is proceeding with the Hudson Sq site.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2018, 3:31 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Disney is proceeding with the Hudson Sq site.
HY is growing faster than the entire World Trade Center!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 6:09 PM

Larry Silverstein Tells YIMBY Foster’s Design For 200 Greenwich Still A Contender, More

Quote:
Will Two World Trade Center be complete by 2025?

I believe so. Someone’s going to come along.

What are the chances we see the Foster design instead of the BIG Plan?

Well, we now have two designs to choose from. They’re very different. Someone’s going to come along, we have a choice of two fantastic plans to show, and whichever that occupant prefers is the one we will build.

So Foster’s can still happen?

Yes.

What projects are you working on at the moment?

A lot. Well, Mercedes Benz is moving forward. We have a significant project in the works in Queens. We have something similar going in Journal Square. So Queens, Journal Square, also residential high rise rental housing. We have about 2,500, maybe 3,000 rental units in the works.

Is the market shifting towards high-density towers?

As the area grows, as more people come into it, lots of young people getting entry level jobs need a place to live as close to their work as possible. So two PATH station stops and you’re in Journal Square, that’s not bad from Manhattan. Twelve or fifteen minutes and you’re in Journal Square, it’s pretty convenient.

You’ve read about our acquisition of the ABC project over on the West Side in the Lincoln Center area. That’s a pretty damn exciting opportunity that’s shaping up. Disney will stay in possession of their campus for 5 years, 3.5 years for their non-campus stuff. That’ll happen over a ten year period, so, it’s going to keep us busy. You put all these things together, there’s a lot going on.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 7:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Well, we now have two designs to choose from. They’re very different. Someone’s going to come along, we have a choice of two fantastic plans to show, and whichever that occupant prefers is the one we will build

If Silverstein truly believed that, then he should be marketing both designs on the website.

http://wtc.com/about/buildings

https://www.silversteinproperties.co...d-trade-center

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 9:42 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
If Silverstein truly believed that, then he should be marketing both designs on the website.

It's hard to imagine someone liking BIG's design more, although Foster's footprint is already there which would make construction considerably easier, unless a different layout would really be that much more profitable.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 9:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Preferring BIG's design over Foster's would be like preferring burning to death over winning five million dollars. To each their own I guess? Silverstein must have terrible taste.

Although Foster's footprint is already there which would make construction considerably easier, unless a different layout would really be that much more profitable.
I like both designs a lot. I think that Fosters will rise. The foundations are ready for it and therefore, it will be cheaper and easier to build. BIG's design required some gymnastics. Also, it was designed for a specific client.

I could see a bank, like BoA, for example, coming here.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 10:02 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
I like both designs a lot. I think that Fosters will rise. The foundations are ready for it and therefore, it will be cheaper and easier to build. BIG's design required some gymnastics. Also, it was designed for a specific client.

I could see a bank, like BoA, for example, coming here.
BIG's for me is only tolerable from some angles, from others it just looks atrocious.

It is a big larger/more imposing towards the top like the original WTC which is good, I guess?

Last edited by Zapatan; Sep 12, 2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: EDIT: I meant BIG's but wrote Foster's

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 10:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its angle with the Diamonds that complements the harbor view is its winning attribute. Viewing it via the North, looking towards Downtown, it would have the mass and width to almost appear as WTC 2 did (in a way), and from the harbor, assist in balancing the whole complex. Would kinda take a little of the attention from 1 WTC, which even with 3 WTC complete, still is what the eye catches due to its size. This would somewhat balance it out.

An example of this concept is HY. Imagine HY with only 30 Hudson, and if every tower was only 500 ft. It would look odd, and you'd only focus on 30 HY. The tower mass is thus balanced in a way with taller towers closer to the defining mass that are interwoven within the node. Creating an aesthetically pleasing node or skyscraper cluster.

Some would argue BIGS design is closer to the effect of 2 WTC (massing wise), but the lack of diamonds is a hindrance aesthetically. Plus, the memorial was design in such a way along with Fosters that light would cascade into the pools.

So its a must have portion for the complex. BIG's design would not fit in.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 1:58 AM

Quote:

The people looking to lease hundreds of thousands of sf of class A office space aren't browsing on google.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
It's hard to imagine someone liking BIG's design more, although Foster's footprint is already there which would make construction considerably easier, unless a different layout would really be that much more profitable.
BIG's design was also going to use the foundation that's already in place. Tenants are looking for what's in the building, and Silverstein has a big sell if he wants to get this tower moving upward. Foster's design couldn't attract a tenant for Silverstein, and BIG's design hasn't done it yet, although it has come close.

It's not as if Silverstein has flushed Foster's plans down the toilet, but anyone who thinks the man is actively marketing Foster's design is just not paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
The people looking to lease hundreds of thousands of sf of class A office space aren't browsing on google.
No, they aren't browsing google, but those are the official websites for the tower. You might want to check them out and read all about Silverstein's WTC, you might learn something. There's a reason these websites are available.

http://wtc.com/office-space/2-world-trade-center

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 12:39 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Why am I getting thefeeling that this plot will still be in its current status by the time HY Phase II finishes building out?????

I mean Jeetus, Larry.............

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 7:14 PM

I look forward to the day that this is under construction as the Foster diamond design.

It sucks that every time I see this bumped I am filled with dread because that DISMAL stacked boxes design by Ingels is actually -somehow- still being considered.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:30 PM

Larry is 87. In 2025 he'd be 94. Probability is he'd be dead before WTC 2 is built. What a waste of time the last almost 2 decades have been in getting this complex done. This should've been completely finished by the 10th anniversary in 2011.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:48 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Something will be done one way or another; I'll wager we all can agree on that.

But the one big problem I've always had with LNF's proposal is that the tower's prime architectural feature, i.e. where the photographer's "money shots" are gonna come from, favors only one vantage point.

You won't see it driving anywhere into LM from any direction other than due east, along US-9 or I-95 . Oh sure, you will see what I perceive to be it's true sheer mass; but it's better than nothing...maybe?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:54 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
BIG's design was also going to use the foundation that's already in place. Tenants are looking for what's in the building, and Silverstein has a big sell if he wants to get this tower moving upward. Foster's design couldn't attract a tenant for Silverstein, and BIG's design hasn't done it yet, although it has come close.

It's not as if Silverstein has flushed Foster's plans down the toilet, but anyone who thinks the man is actively marketing Foster's design is just not paying attention.
Ah okay, I didn't know that about BIG's design. It does perhaps seem more tenant friendly especially towards the top of the building since it has larger floor plates as opposed to Foster's which gets narrow at that point.

If BIG's is built I hope it's at least tweaked a bit. It's utter garbage as is, and I'm not even that critical and like most buildings.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 4:00 PM
Ω

Foster's design would be world famous. If built, we would see those diamonds on every NYC skyline logo/outline drawing. It would be a great symbol of the city and the US.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 8:16 PM

Put the BIG tower next to 9 DeKalb in Brooklyn instead and put an observation deck on top of it ...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 10:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Foster's design would be world famous. If built, we would see those diamonds on every NYC skyline logo/outline drawing. It would be a great symbol of the city and the US.
Regarding the site, given its location, it could be a blessing in disguise if we just have to really be super super patient. Not just anything could rise here... because if something crappy does, it would stain the skyline for the worse. If this was lets say somewhere in Midtown East... ok... they can get away with a crap design, but right on the harbor, on one of the most photographed angles looking from the Statue or Mid-Harbor... would really taint the skyline.

Unfortunately, 2 WTC BIG design is still marketed on the official site. Granted behind closed doors I'd imagine Fosters is brought out on the table, even though PR wise its not shown to the masses.

Part of me hopes Silverstien relinquishes control. I know its not going to happen as long as he's around. To a better developer with track records of getting towers filled. Vornado/Related come to mind.

I think next cycle might see good prospects. Right now... I severally doubt it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction