HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 1:58 AM

Nope, never been to the top of Burnaby Mountain - yet! It is definitely a must do, but I want to have a new zoom lens before I make my way there. Perhaps later this summer.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Nope, never been to the top of Burnaby Mountain - yet! It is definitely a must do, but I want to have a new zoom lens before I make my way there. Perhaps later this summer.
Great! But remember, I'm talking about Capitol Hill, not Burnaby Mountain. Capitol Hill is the next hill after Burnaby Heights, which rise above the PNE.
Burnaby Mountain is to the east of dome-shaped Capitol Hill, and includes Simon Fraser Univeristy. (great views there too, of course!!!)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 2:21 AM

Hmm, I have never made the detour from Hastings Street. Maybe I need to check also this Capitol Hill area now that you mentioned it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 9:54 PM

Now is the strawberry and raspberry season, so yesterday we made our way to Krause Berry Farms in Langley. It was an yummy trip!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2015, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Hmm, I have never made the detour from Hastings Street. Maybe I need to check also this Capitol Hill area now that you mentioned it.
Hey Klazu I work up in North Burnaby and SFU area and I know a few locations which have some incredible views.

Cambridge & N.Hythe (Capital Hill) (Small Park). You will get an incredible view of just about everything from here.

Centennial Way (Park) (Burnaby Mountain) Walk up the the slope next to the parking lot which is next to Horizon's restaurant.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 6:37 PM

Thanks for the tips, skymaster! I will surely check those out in the future.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 6:44 PM

I did my first Grouse Grind last week. Can't say I enjoyed it as it is more exercise than a hike, but it is something one has to do.

Gentlemen, start your timers!

Here we go. 2830 steps ahead.

Second quarter is the steepest section.

The forest gets more open on the third quarter. Still very steep.

On last leg.

Goal line in sight!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2015, 8:28 PM

What's the Baden trail like?

I've done grouse a couple of times. No interest in doing it again. Not fun. You're just climbing steps with a bunch or people lol

Old Posted Jun 28, 2015, 10:56 PM

What was your time Klazu?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 5:51 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post

I've done grouse a couple of times. No interest in doing it again. Not fun. You're just climbing steps with a bunch or people lol
Baden Powell goes from Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove, zigzagging up and down mountains across the entire north shore. It was built by Boy Scouts and Girl Guides in the 1960s/1970s. I reallllly want to do it one day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baden-Powell_Trail
http://www.car-free.ca/bc-car-free/h...ial-trail.html

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:06 AM

I just did the grind today, perfect weather with a slight drizzle with hardly any people on the trail.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 6:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:

Baden Powell Trail is a long one. More details at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baden-Powell_Trail
Quote:
The trail is about forty-eight kilometres long, extending (west to east) from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver to Deep Cove in the District of North Vancouver. In between, the trail winds through the heavily forested North Shore Mountains. It also connects with several other local trails.

From: http://edhird.com/2010/06/28/strengthening-weak-knees/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Yeah they call it the grind for a reason. There is nothing fun about it. The scenery is not even interesting until you make it to the top. It's an intense workout though and I think that is why so many people love it. If you time yourself than there's the added challenge of beating your best time. My time as of last week was 1:12 which I hope to beat by at least a couple minutes tomorrow.

Have any of you done the Sea to Summit hike in Squamish? Now that is a great hike with amazing scenery.

Maybe it's time we start up an SSP hiking group haha.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 1:32 PM
life in the present

I love the grind, I do it purely for the workout, often early, 7:30am at least once a week before work. I don't go for the scenery as there's not much, I do it for the incredible workout and the amazing endorphin rush I get at the top. Where else can you do something like this before work?!?

I'm blown away but the amazing improvements to the trail over the last couple of years ( grinders can relate ). The super hard part after the 1/2 marker is gone, all small steps now, the last quarter, which used to be brutal, has been almost all re-built and is now full of small wooden steps, many with railings!! It's certainly made it easier and likely improved some of the fastest times for sure!

If you want a bit more of a hiking experience, do the BCMC instead. About 10 mins longer, no crowds, just take the Baden Powell fork at the beginning then turn left about 200 metres later and follow the markers to the top, you'll end at the same spot as the Grind. You'll parallel the Grind for about the first half then it meanders to the right a bit, lessening the steepness. Mostly roots, much quieter and more beautiful but still and awesome workout!!

Fantastic Grind pics Klaus!! I've done it for 20 years any never taken trail pics, thanks!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Yeah they call it the grind for a reason. There is nothing fun about it. The scenery is not even interesting until you make it to the top. It's an intense workout though and I think that is why so many people love it. If you time yourself than there's the added challenge of beating your best time. My time as of last week was 1:12 which I hope to beat by at least a couple minutes tomorrow.

Have any of you done the Sea to Summit hike in Squamish? Now that is a great hike with amazing scenery.

Maybe it's time we start up an SSP hiking group haha.
When I say it's not fun I mean it's boring. I know it's supposed to be a hard "workout" I didn't have a problem with that part of it

Yes I like the cheif. That's more enjoyable.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 2:28 PM

Is the western end of Baden trail the trail that goes over the old trans Canada bridge? That looks cool I'd love go over it

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
What was your time Klazu?
Pretty average 1:33. Took lots of photos and breaks during the climb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
You mean Stawamus Chief or something else? That is a beautiful hike.

Quote:
Is the western end of Baden trail the trail that goes over the old trans Canada bridge? That looks cool I'd love go over it
I have only done the trail from Cypress Mountain to Eagle Bluffs, but that is very nice. I can imagine the descent to Horseshoe Bay to be quite tough.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 5:22 PM

Not the Chief Klazu. Although it shares a part of the same trail. It's about a 4hr hike that connects up to the new Sea to Sky gondola. I'd highly reccomend it to anyone who hasn't done it yet. The gondola ride back down is spectacular and only $10 as well. http://www.seatoskygondola.com/adven...o-summit-trail

Old Posted Jun 30, 2015, 12:07 AM

These are not recent but from back in March, however I think that Port Moody gets way too little attention. Nice spring Sunday in Rocky Point Park. Too bad not more of the waterfront has been made public realm.

Burrard Mountain in the background.

Port Moody skyline. The crane in the background is MThree in Coquitlam, I think?

Burrard Inlet

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 11:57 PM

Last Saturday we made a trip to Delta to do some geocaching there. Our first stop was in Fred Gingel Park in Tsawwassen.

I have never before descended down to the beach, but it is quite nice down there.

North Shore Mountains in the distance.

We continued our trip to Centennial Beach which was super busy.

Mount Baker makes for a pretty amazing backdrop while swimming.

The path along the beach through Boundary Bay is very nice. We have to return to do the whole path with bicycles some other time.

On our way back we made a stop on Deas Island. I have never been to this place, but it is very green and quiet little park outside of the area near the George Massey Tunnel entrance.

Entrance to the tunnel. You can tell how dry it is from the color of the grass.

Alignment of the tunnel under Fraser River.

Path leads to the southern tip of the island.

Finally, the tunnel entrance from north in evening sun. Not very busy at 8pm on Saturday evening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos