HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Oh Telus Sky is VERY noticeable! Another thing noticeable in downtown Calgary is the large number of high end restaurants. We have Hy's and that's pretty much it?
Seemingly every place in downtown Winnipeg holds Earls up as the model these days. It's all about casual dining with beers in the lounge. Even places that were once all about fine dining have turned their backs on the concept, as this recent interview with the Velvet Glove's executive chef illustrates.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:29 PM

I would say there is Hys , Velvet Glove and Hermanos but point taken , Dubrovnik and Amici were lost and never replaced restaurant wise

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 7:56 PM

^ Losing Dubrovnik was a huge blow to the local culinary scene. That place was legit old school fine dining. So was Sydney's.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Losing Dubrovnik was a huge blow to the local culinary scene. That place was legit old school fine dining. So was Sydney's.
The Palm Room? Haven't been there in ages..

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
The Palm Room? Haven't been there in ages..
Palm Room is a lounge that serves some light meals, definitely not fine dining even if the environment is classy.

Now that you mention it, it's funny that the Fort Garry's current owners have never reopened the hotel's restaurant.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Palm Room is a lounge that serves some light meals, definitely not fine dining even if the environment is classy.

Now that you mention it, it's funny that the Fort Garry's current owners have never reopened the hotel's restaurant.
Used to be Amici's and Victor's as well. Is the Carne fine dining?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 11:44 PM

I find Winnipeg considerably more interesting than Calgary and I also think the overall food scene is more varied and "happening" in Winnipeg, whatever the quantity of "high-end" restaurants in the downtown core.

The Michelin Guide to Canada gives Calgary two stars (recommended), Winnipeg gets three (highly recommended).

I've never understood why many Winnipeggers wish to emulate giant suburbs. Inspiration is better gained by looking south or overseas.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:45 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I find Winnipeg considerably more interesting than Calgary and I also think the overall food scene is more varied and "happening" in Winnipeg, whatever the quantity of "high-end" restaurants in the downtown core.

The Michelin Guide to Canada gives Calgary two stars (recommended), Winnipeg gets three (highly recommended).

I've never understood why many Winnipeggers wish to emulate giant suburbs. Inspiration is better gained by looking south or overseas.
Just FYI: the Michelin Travel Guide has nothing to do with restaurants or food scene. It is a travel website that rates travel attractions.

By no means definitive, but this (I think fairly well regarded) list of Canada's best 100 restaurants (2018) lists 2 Winnipeg restaurants and 12 Calgary restaurants. Not too bad for a giant suburb. Anyway, just some food for thought (pardon the pun).
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Last edited by Pavlov; Sep 20, 2018 at 12:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I really like this post

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Oh Telus Sky is VERY noticeable! Another thing noticeable in downtown Calgary is the large number of high end restaurants. We have Hy's and that's pretty much it?
Hermano's, Carne?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 3:48 AM

Winnipeg needs many more buildings lit up like this, downtown lighting strategy should be looked at again from a few years ago.

@erinriediger: I love how this building on the bend at River/Wellington is lit up in the evening. This is an example of good winter city design for #walkability It pops even more in the winter and creates visual interest while walking. #winnipeg #multimodalcity #walkablecity #citiesforpeople

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Winnipeg needs many more buildings lit up like this, downtown lighting strategy should be looked at again from a few years ago.
Completely agree and have said this numerous times. I'd go so far as to argue downtown might need regulations on some lighting. For example as great as it is that BMO at P&M upgraded their lighting it is so absurdly bright it's almost blinding, and does no favours for the architecture as it's so white. Same goes for Humphry Inn – good they upgraded but they just used insanely bright flood lights that not only make the building look bad, but the angle shines right at pedestrians, it's awful.

I really hate how everyone (including Hydro) is going with insanely bright blue-white LED lighting. Street and sidewalk lighting needs to be a little softer – the new white street lights are horrible in the rain, makes it hard to see the road and reflects light into your eyes too much. A few other cities actually stopped installing the lights we use now in favour of softer ones with less lumens as it has proven to be a public health and safety issue, even affecting people's sleep.

Nervous for what they decide to replace the Exchange globe lights, and Portage/Main lights with.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Completely agree and have said this numerous times. I'd go so far as to argue downtown might need regulations on some lighting. For example as great as it is that BMO at P&M upgraded their lighting it is so absurdly bright it's almost blinding, and does no favours for the architecture as it's so white. Same goes for Humphry Inn – good they upgraded but they just used insanely bright flood lights that not only make the building look bad, but the angle shines right at pedestrians, it's awful.

I really hate how everyone (including Hydro) is going with insanely bright blue-white LED lighting. Street and sidewalk lighting needs to be a little softer – the new white street lights are horrible in the rain, makes it hard to see the road and reflects light into your eyes too much. A few other cities actually stopped installing the lights we use now in favour of softer ones with less lumens as it has proven to be a public health and safety issue, even affecting people's sleep.

Nervous for what they decide to replace the Exchange globe lights, and Portage/Main lights with.
The white street lights are horrendous, my neighbourhood just got them, just terrible.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:10 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
The white street lights are horrendous, my neighbourhood just got them, just terrible.
Yeah they'd be better if they had a slight yellow tinge

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yeah they'd be better if they had a slight yellow tinge
Yup, they're so bright that it actually hurts to look at, and can be dangerous on the road. They are also so directional that they don't light up as much of the street, and the light barely reaches the sidewalks – especially on streets with lots of trees.

I believe it was Montreal and Vancouver that started using the same ones then stopped and replaced them due to health concerns – our government obviously doesn't care.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 2:47 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yup, they're so bright that it actually hurts to look at, and can be dangerous on the road. They are also so directional that they don't light up as much of the street, and the light barely reaches the sidewalks – especially on streets with lots of trees.

I believe it was Montreal and Vancouver that started using the same ones then stopped and replaced them due to health concerns – our government obviously doesn't care.
Well either they don't care or can't afford to fix the mistake. Or both. They should just throw up a bunch of filters to make the light more palatable and I'm sure everyone would be all the happier for it. It would also vastly increase the comfort and aesthetic appeal of them.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 3:11 PM

^Agreed. Thing is though that the other cities switched a few years ago, no reason they couldn't just stop putting more of these ones up.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:34 PM

I personally like them, I find the added brightness makes the street feel safer and less dingy especially downtown. I feel like I can see more. If you think that they hurt to look at please stop looking at them, you are not a Moth.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
yeah i hate being able to see while walking my dog at 6am and I hate the additional lighting that deters crime

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
yeah i hate being able to see while walking my dog at 6am and I hate the additional lighting that deters crime

I like the new lights. Everything used to be bathed in that awful spooky yellow puke colour and now with the white light things are actually the colour they're supposed to be. Looks nice. I also can't say they hurt my eyes at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan