HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 11:40 PM

Plans for The Beacon (South Market District)

Very nice on The Beacon!

Did the Paramount have plans available, and the Park, for that matter? I don't remember seeing them.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:15 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
Very nice on The Beacon!

Did the Paramount have plans available, and the Park, for that matter? I don't remember seeing them.
Posted them about a year ago

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:41 AM

The Beacon

Based on the blank back (south) wall, and the way the hallways dead-end on the south wall, can we assume another phase of this project will connect to/through this building? I hope that next phase has something planned for the top of that staircase leading up to it.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:08 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Based on the blank back (south) wall, and the way the hallways dead-end on the south wall, can we assume another phase of this project will connect to/through this building? I hope that next phase has something planned for the top of that staircase leading up to it.
I am not sure if its easy to see from what I posted but no this building doesnt look like it will connect to another one. The staircase ends inside the building and those hallways arent dead ends but janitors closets probably also one half of the back side of the building will abut the who dat shack. So the next building to be built will have its own style etc ... it may even be more than one building filling out the rest of that block. either way its good to see half of that block will be getting developed and under construction starting in august.

607 Julia St·Change of Use · Permit #14-18143-CUSE ·Ref Code: 8T6GLH
Download (3) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Gene Smith
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
6/10/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant shell unit to a Fitness Center per sketch.

212 Loyola Ave·Attached Sign · Permit #14-16442-SATT ·Ref Code: C17PXQ
Download (1) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Attached Sign
Applicant:
New Orleans Graphic Signworx
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
5/27/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Installation of neon lettering attached from ceiling w/eyebolts & chains inside of window as per sketch and City Planning Approval. ( KREWE Lounge On Loyola )

Looks like DDay Museum Garage Construction is about to begin:

1024 Magazine St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: QC4QBD
Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Scott Evans
Draft Application
Date Filed:
6/10/2014 1:26:22 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Demolition permit to remove sidewalks, fencing, light poles and surface paving on an existing surface parking lot.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 11, 2014 at 5:24 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:24 PM

I was surprised to see the Beacon's courtyard/lobby entrance consume so much of the available ground floor retail space along Girod. I suppose they have had trouble landing retail tenants? But it does make for a nice design!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
I was surprised to see the Beacon's courtyard/lobby entrance consume so much of the available ground floor retail space along Girod. I suppose they have had trouble landing retail tenants? But it does make for a nice design!
It's still almost 20,000 sqft of retail .. Plus the main thing the lobby is doing is creating a courtyard for natural light to rent units above . Have to get natural light in there somehow

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
It's still almost 20,000 sqft of retail .. Plus the main thing the lobby is doing is creating a courtyard for natural light to rent units above . Have to get natural light in there somehow
Not disagreeing with the idea of the courtyard, but with how its tied into the street. I think its a great in terms of design, but thought it was interesting they would reduce the amount of retail space fronting Girod.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 6:38 PM

I wish a movie theater was part of the South Market District plans. Then we'd really be getting someplace. I'm sick of driving out of town for movies, and a movie theater would give all those storefronts much-needed foot traffic. Any chance this will happen?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAandMagazine View Post
I wish a movie theater was part of the South Market District plans. Then we'd really be getting someplace. I'm sick of driving out of town for movies, and a movie theater would give all those storefronts much-needed foot traffic. Any chance this will happen?
Maybe by Champions Square Although I just go to Canal Place, but your right we do need a normal Cineplex in the city proper.

Some additional photos of Deep South Studios:

Looks Like the Relocation of City Hall to Charity Hospital is dead... cant say Im surprised though. too many more pressing issues financially for the city to go spend that kind of money on a new city hall especially when half the tenants (civil courts) don't even want to be there. Guess the Civil Courts will be building there own place now.

Federal City's Phase 2 may include more retail, expanded YMCA services

Leann Logsdon recently retired to Algiers Point, and at the Federal City master plan meeting on May 31, she expressed her desire to see grocery store and pharmacy as part of their planned development. She may be in luck.

Attendees heard that talks have been held with grocers and that Property One, Inc. has taken over the task of soliciting businesses for the retail center, part of phase two development, in the meeting which took place in the Federal City Auditorium, a completed phase one project.

http://blog.nola.com/westbank/2014/0...l#incart_river

West Elm’s Magazine store opening in July

West Elm, an upscale retail store that features contemporary furniture designs and other home décor, will open at 2929 Magazine St. at the end of July.

The store has been selected as a West Elm Local location, the company said, meaning it will feature about eight Louisiana-based makers of products ranging from art prints and wall hangings to letterpress stationary and tote bags. Featured makers will be from around the state, with many based in the New Orleans area.
An 1,899-square-foot second-story was added to 2929 Magazine to accommodate the store.

West Elm is a subsidiary of Williams-Sonoma Inc., with more than 53 stores around the U.S. and Puerto Rico and nine in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom. The New Orleans store is among eight being added to the chain.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...-store-opening

City of New Orleans, Walmart Announce Grand Opening of New Orleans East Walmart
June 11, 2014

NEW ORLEANS, LA– A new Walmart opened Wednesday, June 11, after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony, at 8 a.m. The new store at 6000 Bullard Ave. is conveniently located off of I-10 and is open 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. It provides New Orleans residents shopping convenience for their grocery and general merchandise needs. The store also offers pharmacy services. The new Walmart aides in the revitalization of New Orleans East, a community that has been underserved since Hurricane Katrina. Approximately 400 jobs have been filled and twenty-five of these hires are associates formerly employed at the New Orleans East Walmart prior to Hurricane Katrina.

“The New Orleans East Walmart is yet another example of the retail boom we’re experiencing all across the city of New Orleans,” said Mayor Mitch Landrieu. “This store will create approximately 400 jobs and provide an opportunity for our residents to shop and work where they live. This is another step in rebuilding our city and restoring quality services in our neighborhoods."

“The opening of this new Walmart not only gives the residents of District E the convenience of shopping nearby, it allows the City of New Orleans to capture sales taxes on the millions that will be spent here every year -- tax money that can be used to replace street lights and pave roads,” said District E Councilmember James A. Gray II. “Additionally, Walmart acts as a magnet for development. My office has talked with numerous businesses about locating to District E. Everyone is very interested now that Walmart is opening. District E is booming.”

Fannie C. Williams Charter School marching band helped kick off the grand opening ceremony and led the procession once doors opened at 8 a.m. Local vendors including Community Coffee, Cajun Country, Abita Root Beer, and Manda Fine Meats participated in the grand opening events, offering guests samples of their products.

The Cheesecake Factory

Celebrate with Lakeside Shopping Center and The Cheesecake Factory! Our Throwback Thursday goes to the ground breaking until now! We are excited to have The Cheesecake Factory part of the Metairie community and the Lakeside Shopping Center family. #tbt #cheesecake #grandopening #groundbreaking #LoveatFirstBite #June17 — at Lakeside Shopping Center.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 12, 2014 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
New Orleans taking inventory of missing street signs

"If you don't have the street signs, for some of us that are not well seasoned, haven't been out here 20 years, yes, it's a little bit difficult for us," said Ortiz.

So far, city crews have installed 438 new street name signs along with 773 new traffic signs. The city is now taking inventory of the missing and broken signs.

Help is now on the way. The city just set aside $1.5 million for street sign repairs. Crews are now hard at work replacing street name signs and broken traffic signs. Ricardo Ortiz and his fellow New Orleans cab drivers appreciate the effort.

"If you don't have the street signs, for some of us that are not well seasoned, haven't been out here 20 years, yes, it's a little bit difficult for us," said Ortiz.

So far, city crews have installed 438 new street name signs along with 773 new traffic signs. The city is now taking inventory of the missing and broken signs.

If you have one on your block, you are urged to call NOLA 311 or report it in the NOLA 311 page of the city of New Orleans website, www.nola.gov.

If you have one on your block, you are urged to call NOLA 311 or report it in the NOLA 311 page of the city of New Orleans website, www.nola.gov.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/New-...262176111.html

Parisite Skate Park Plans Are Set to Roll in Gentilly

Ground should break next month for the construction of New Orleans' very first public skate park, Parisite, at Paris Avenue under the I-610 overpass in Gentilly, a site where local skateboarders staked their claim in a DIY fashion two years ago. The plans, put together by Transitional Spaces, a local non-profit started by skaters, and Tulane City Center got the go-ahead from the City Planning Commission's design team this week, The Times-Pic reports. The city's been holding onto $150,000 worth of ramps—a donation from the Red Bull Mississippi Grind skatepark barge that floated into town in 2011—and will pass along the equipment to Parisite. The park isn't just about ollies and half pipes, though. A water management plan is in place that includes rain gardens and landscaping to help prevent flooding.

http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2014...et-to-roll.php

While it's good to hear about the street signs I really hope they get with the rest of the modern world and make sure the hundred block is referenced on each sign. It makes navigating 10x easier.

So far as Parisite is concerned that is great news, I skate there about once a month and the improvements will be welcome.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 6:06 PM
life is good

Minimum fares could slow Uber’s roll into NOLA
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...rive+into+NOLA
Quote:
Uber’s entrance into New Orleans has encountered a speed bump in the form of higher minimum fares than the smartphone-app based car service was expecting. Uber clarity
The minimums— $25 for sedans and $35 for SUVs — were included in an ordinance the City Council introduced last week that would change the rules governing for-hire vehicles to allow on-demand services such as Uber to operate in New Orleans.
“Given our previous discussions, we were surprised,” said Tom Hayes Uber’s New Orleans general manager.
Multiple transportation industry sources involved in discussions about the ordinance with the Landrieu administration said the initial minimum range was $10.50 to $15.
The proposed $25/$35 rates would be among the highest in the country among the cities where Uber operates...
The Do-Overs are starting to pile up
http://librarychronicles.blogspot.co...o-pile-up.html

Last edited by Eightball; Jun 13, 2014 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2014, 7:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Minimum fares could slow Uber’s roll into NOLA
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...rive+into+NOLA

The Do-Overs are starting to pile up
http://librarychronicles.blogspot.co...o-pile-up.html
I sent emails to all the councilmembers about the minimum fare ... thing most responded that this was just first draft and understood why the minimum was unnecessary. Nonetheless, I still encourage everyone to send emails and sign petition.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 12:23 PM

Can someone tell me what is being built at the corner of Humanity and West Saint Roch in Gentilly?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelbyjosh View Post
Can someone tell me what is being built at the corner of Humanity and West Saint Roch in Gentilly?

Is it the new OPSB Bethune Elementary/Stuart Bradley Building?

http://www.opsb.us/2014/05/future-ho...dley-building/

OPSB Capital Projects

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 3:20 PM

Oh hey, Buckettt!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 5:29 PM
-

South Market Photos from today (6.15.14)

Notre Dame Condos starting to wrap up:

607 Julia St·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: XZSNA6
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Gene Smith
Draft Application
Date Filed:
6/13/2014 1:35:34 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant shell unit to an office per state Fire Marshall and sketch.

2027 Magazine St
·HDLC COA ·Ref Code: G28RMB
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Daniel Slakich
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
6/13/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation and addition of mixed-occupancy as per plans. (1-commercial, 1-residential) and HDLC approval.

216 Chartres St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: PMLJ1N
Download (32) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Robert Pell
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/12/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation of existing building into 13 Apartments with commercial space on the ground floor as per plans, BZA dkt #009-14 and VCC permit #.

301 Magazine St·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: JCCB5L
Download (7) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Stephanie Guidry
Zoning Review
Date Filed:
4/14/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Removal of all office partitions, lighting, floor covering, etc. New plumbing, electrical service, mechanical equipment, and interior walls; the exterior of the building will be cleaned with masonry cleaner and all windows and doors will be glazed as needed and painted as per plans.

1423 N Claiborne Ave·Renovation (Structural) ·Ref Code: 1THKB4
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Rebecca Omalley
Draft Application
Date Filed:
6/6/2014 10:51:32 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Renovate existing building as per attached drawings and specifications. Previous Certificate of Reviews are 12-26500-HDLC and 13-32220-HDLC.

5790 Crowder Blvd Suites A - G·Change of Use ·Ref Code: JCZ14F
Download (8) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Dorsey Development Companies
Application Review
Date Filed:
6/13/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant commercial building into retail (Suites A - G) as per plans and City Planning approval. (Suite A - Planet Fitness, Suite F - AIO Cellphone, Suite G - Pizza Hut.) Suites B, C, D, and E shall apply for a separate permit for use and occupancy.

2101 S Claiborne Ave·Change of Use ·Ref Code: NPBTJ8
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Russell Hall
Application Review
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant shell to a dental clinic (Seven 2 Seven Dental, LLC) per plans. All signage shall be under separate permit.

615 Julia St·Change of Use · Permit #14-18425-CUSE ·Ref Code: YVDCNW
Download (4) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Gene Smith
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant shell unit to a Art Gallery per sketch and State Fire Marshal approval.

7701 Dwyer Rd #103·Change of Use · Permit #14-18435-CUSE ·Ref Code: FTDN6K
Download (3) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Danchin Nguyen
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant commercial unit in a strip mall to a nail salon (Hot Nail Spa) per sketch, State Fire Marshal approval and State Health letter.

8 Canal St ·Change of Use ·Ref Code: 8EG1XL
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
E Byrd & Associates Inc
Application Review
Date Filed:
6/10/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
convert an area of gaming devices to a retail space area per plans (Art of Music)

3048 St Claude Ave·Change of Use ·Ref Code: GJN4K0
Download (4) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Change of Use
Applicant:
Amy Mosberger
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/9/2014 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
Convert vacant store to a standard restaurant (Red's Chinese) per plans.No exterior work under this permit. Signs require a separate permit.

Last edited by tennis1400; Jun 15, 2014 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2014, 7:24 PM
TL;DR

That South Market garage is looking seriously fresh.

Any sign of the brick on Paramount?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 7:11 AM
TL;DR

Interesting little tidbit:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...about-prospect

Quote:
....the [Clean Gulf Commerce Coalition's] efforts have resurrected a discussion about a 2002 study that looked at moving the railroad out of Gretna, Terrytown and Algiers and off the Belle Chasse Highway.

That study, commissioned by the Regional Planning Commission, suggested a route that would head northwest from the existing line in Plaquemines Parish at Cedar Grove, pass to the west of the U.S. Naval Air Station in Belle Chasse before turning north and running along the eastern edge of the Harvey Canal.

Gretna Mayor Belinda Constant said at the council meeting that the city would continue to support any effort to move the tracks.

Deputy Director Jeffrey W. Roesel said the RPC recently met with state and federal transportation agencies and expects to begin an environmental study on moving the tracks this fall.
If the tracks get moved, the former alignment along Belle Chasse Hwy may be up for grabs... if the West Bank wants a streetcar line, that's where they should put it. Run it from the Algiers ferry landing to the naval base at Belle Chasse. The alignment runs at grade but in a private right-of-way, so it wouldn't get slowed down in traffic like a bus or a mixed-traffic streetcar (save for the section along Madison St in Gretna).

I mean, the ridership potential is still super-low and there is zero effective sidewalks/density, but at least this alignment could be fairly speedy unlike DeGaulle or Behrman. Ultimately any of this is foolish without a direct connection across the river... and even then, the ridership potential is lower than any number of projects in Orleans Parish.

Last edited by ardecila; Jun 16, 2014 at 7:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That South Market garage is looking seriously fresh.

Any sign of the brick on Paramount?
They have about half of the Poydras st face done. I think it looks pretty sharp.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Very interesting...

Here's that 2002 study:
http://www.norpc.org/assets/pdf-docu...odal_Study.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations