HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
Whatever it is I wished more Government Agencies finished projects on time or ahead of schedule.
Well then they should adopt UTA's philosophy. If there is a problem in society just set expectations low. It also works in marriage. I should tell my wife that I plan on doing nothing helpful in our relationship. That takes into account the possibility I get addicted to alcohol and beat her up during my drunken tirades. It also takes into account I may have her earn all the money so I can be a stay at home husband and get up around noon. At this point, if I even wear underwear during the day I am husband of the year.

UTA is on to something.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 7:31 AM
farmerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST View Post
Well then they should adopt UTA's philosophy. If there is a problem in society just set expectations low. It also works in marriage. I should tell my wife that I plan on doing nothing helpful in our relationship. That takes into account the possibility I get addicted to alcohol and beat her up during my drunken tirades. It also takes into account I may have her earn all the money so I can be a stay at home husband and get up around noon. At this point, if I even wear underwear during the day I am husband of the year.

UTA is on to something.
So you obviously don't drink. "Drunken Tirades" lol...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 11:40 AM

Airport overhaul includes blend of local shops and chains

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51...dies.html.csp#

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

Overhauling its shops and eateries for the first time in half a century, Salt Lake City International Airport has landed a blend of national brand names and local standouts such as Market Street Grill and Sam Weller’s Bookstore.

The makeover, which begins July 1 but will take 18 months, follows a six-month selection process where all of the airport’s concession areas plus some dead space were bundled for vendors to bid on.

Atlanta-based The Paradies Shopswas the big winner, notching half of the retail packages. But a majority of merchants contracting with Paradies are local. They include Sam Weller’s, Sego Lily Spa, Red Onion, KSL News and the Deseret News.

Soon, Utah travelers also will see familiar favorites like Veloce Cucina Toscana, Salt Lake Pizza and Pasta, Millcreek Coffee, Greek Souvlaki and Cafe Rio along with locally franchised outlets housing McDonald’s, Krispy Kreme and Jamba Juice.

"They’ve really added a lot of local flavor," said Amy Coady, director of sales and marketing for Salt Lake Brewing Co., which won two of the food and beverage bids. "We’re really excited to be out there with some of our local neighbors."

Besides renewing leases for their airport Squatter’s Pub Brewery and Krispy Kreme, the brewing company is partnering to open the Vino Volo/Ale House, designed to showcase wine sampling flights and local ales. "Their concept is based on the idea that if you have a couple hours to kill, why not enjoy a little wine tasting with a flight of wines and a lovely cheese platter," Coady said about Vino Volo, "rather than going to a fast-food place. It’s been very successful."

Park City’s High West Distillery also will sling their spirits as will the brewery-restaurant chain Gordon Biersch.

"It is essential that the airport be creative and use its limited space wisely," airport Executive Director Maureen Riley said in a statement. "We are pleased to be able to offer our customers more choice, a blend of local flavor mixed with national brands they know and a more modern experience."

But the move does not come without controversy. After 50 years in operation, the family-owned Air Terminal Gifts (ATG) on June 30 must shutter its airport retail hubs that include West of Brooklyn, Zeta & Co., Vistas and Your Planet. The Crismon family’s bids for 12 newly designed retail stores — which included a newsstand licensing agreement with The Salt Lake Tribune — didn’t make the cut.

"We are extremely saddened to be closing our doors after 50 years," said Kathy Crismon, CEO of ATG. "This is sure to be a difficult time for our family, but we will always be eternally grateful to our employees and the friends we have made while running this company."

The ouster upset Local Utah First, whose executive director, Joelle Kanshepolsky, said it proves "there is obviously still more work to be done" promoting and protecting local businesses.

The family will keep some foothold in the airport as ATG won two food and beverage bids in partnership with Atlanta-based Hojeij Branded Foods to operate 11 outlets including a Wendy’s and a Pei Wei. On Tuesday, Paradies also sent the airport a letter pledging to hire ATG’s 155 employees at an hourly rate "that is comparable to their current rate, if not better." Paradies also offers benefits to all employees who work a minimum of 20 hours per week.

Tony Weller, who inquired a decade ago about opening a Sam Weller’s Bookstore at the airport, said he would have preferred to contract with a local company. But because spaces were bundled in the bid, he said it essentially obligated the airport to work with so-called umbrella companies.

"We could not afford to do it without Paradies," said Weller, who said the company has been very easy to work with. Paradies lets him control the inventory, including a rare-book section, "and at least seems to have the idea of packing the airport with local businesses," Weller said. "We see it as a great opportunity."

Airport fare

For a complete list of the new retail shops, newsstands and food and beverage stands — along with maps showing their locations — go to the airport’s website at www.slcairport.com

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Airport overhaul includes blend of local shops and chains

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51...dies.html.csp#

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

Overhauling its shops and eateries for the first time in half a century, Salt Lake City International Airport has landed a blend of national brand names and local standouts such as Market Street Grill and Sam Weller’s Bookstore.

The makeover, which begins July 1 but will take 18 months, follows a six-month selection process where all of the airport’s concession areas plus some dead space were bundled for vendors to bid on.

Atlanta-based The Paradies Shopswas the big winner, notching half of the retail packages. But a majority of merchants contracting with Paradies are local. They include Sam Weller’s, Sego Lily Spa, Red Onion, KSL News and the Deseret News.

Soon, Utah travelers also will see familiar favorites like Veloce Cucina Toscana, Salt Lake Pizza and Pasta, Millcreek Coffee, Greek Souvlaki and Cafe Rio along with locally franchised outlets housing McDonald’s, Krispy Kreme and Jamba Juice.

"They’ve really added a lot of local flavor," said Amy Coady, director of sales and marketing for Salt Lake Brewing Co., which won two of the food and beverage bids. "We’re really excited to be out there with some of our local neighbors."

Besides renewing leases for their airport Squatter’s Pub Brewery and Krispy Kreme, the brewing company is partnering to open the Vino Volo/Ale House, designed to showcase wine sampling flights and local ales. "Their concept is based on the idea that if you have a couple hours to kill, why not enjoy a little wine tasting with a flight of wines and a lovely cheese platter," Coady said about Vino Volo, "rather than going to a fast-food place. It’s been very successful."

Park City’s High West Distillery also will sling their spirits as will the brewery-restaurant chain Gordon Biersch.

"It is essential that the airport be creative and use its limited space wisely," airport Executive Director Maureen Riley said in a statement. "We are pleased to be able to offer our customers more choice, a blend of local flavor mixed with national brands they know and a more modern experience."

But the move does not come without controversy. After 50 years in operation, the family-owned Air Terminal Gifts (ATG) on June 30 must shutter its airport retail hubs that include West of Brooklyn, Zeta & Co., Vistas and Your Planet. The Crismon family’s bids for 12 newly designed retail stores — which included a newsstand licensing agreement with The Salt Lake Tribune — didn’t make the cut.

"We are extremely saddened to be closing our doors after 50 years," said Kathy Crismon, CEO of ATG. "This is sure to be a difficult time for our family, but we will always be eternally grateful to our employees and the friends we have made while running this company."

The ouster upset Local Utah First, whose executive director, Joelle Kanshepolsky, said it proves "there is obviously still more work to be done" promoting and protecting local businesses.

The family will keep some foothold in the airport as ATG won two food and beverage bids in partnership with Atlanta-based Hojeij Branded Foods to operate 11 outlets including a Wendy’s and a Pei Wei. On Tuesday, Paradies also sent the airport a letter pledging to hire ATG’s 155 employees at an hourly rate "that is comparable to their current rate, if not better." Paradies also offers benefits to all employees who work a minimum of 20 hours per week.

Tony Weller, who inquired a decade ago about opening a Sam Weller’s Bookstore at the airport, said he would have preferred to contract with a local company. But because spaces were bundled in the bid, he said it essentially obligated the airport to work with so-called umbrella companies.

"We could not afford to do it without Paradies," said Weller, who said the company has been very easy to work with. Paradies lets him control the inventory, including a rare-book section, "and at least seems to have the idea of packing the airport with local businesses," Weller said. "We see it as a great opportunity."

Airport fare

For a complete list of the new retail shops, newsstands and food and beverage stands — along with maps showing their locations — go to the airport’s website at www.slcairport.com
There are some errors in the map, it shows restaurants in the part of the E concourse that you can only get to once to check in and go through the gates to board flights for SkyWest.

Also, it's sort of disappointing in some way that they are going to all the effort on the current terminals, it's a sign that they don't plan on tearing them down and rebuilding anytime soon.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:23 PM

Agreed Ark... Cool to see some new eateries, but man, that sure does mean that the new airport must be decades away.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:37 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

It's been a while since I've been to terminal E, have they changed it down there? Do you have to check in at the bottom of the stairs instead of at the massive row of doors and gates like it used to be?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 5:16 PM

I only remember this because I went through there on my way to St. George last month, but all of the "gates" and check in desks are in a lobby area at the bottom of the stairs in what is actually the lower level of the international terminal. This is where the Starbucks and Ufood Grill shown in the tribune graphic are actually located. You only go down the concourse itself once your boarding pass has been taken and you are walking to the plane to board. I just assumed it had always been that way. "Concourse E" really isn't even a concourse, its more of a long, enclosed walkway. It has concrete floors and isn't really finished or climate controlled.

Last edited by arkhitektor; Mar 16, 2011 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 7:24 PM

Ummm....weren't they going to demolish the existing airport and build all new terminals, etc.????

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 7:44 PM
Bring out the cranes...

This is getting pathetic, sure I appreciate improvements to the airport with new restaurants and such. But WHEN THE HELL ARE THEY GOING TO BUILT THE NEW AIRPORT!!! This is just yet another sign that this OUTDATED airport is here to stay for years to come.
We have out grown this airport........YEARS AGO. It's time to rebuild.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 5:38 AM

I probably sound like a broken record by now, but that's okay.

The airport plans on building the new terminal. BUT the airport will likely build the new terminal in phases. This approach will keep certain parts of the current terminals open and active while sections of the new terminal are completed. As sections of the new terminal are built, parts of the current terminals will be shut down, torn down and built on top of to finish the project. A new parking garage and airport support facilities will also be built and likely before the new terminal.

This is a $2 to 3 billion project. The airport is being cautious with its finances, as it should be. The airline industry is very volitile and never really predictable. Other airports have made the mistake of building huge brand new terminals without their tenants on board beforehand. In return, airlines have reduced service to these cities, tenants have left, and they are left in great amounts of debt because the tenants didn't want to pay the increased costs. The airport wants to get the airlines on board, especially Delta, before any major projects begin that would directly affect lease rates and costs to all tenants. Right now, the airlines do not want to see their costs to go up, which it would when the time comes to build the terminal. The good thing is the costs of operating out of SLC are so low right now (by far the cheapest hub airport to operate out of in the country), it really won't hurt anyone too much to charge airlines more to fly out of here.

In the mean time, the airport will be upgrading and rennovating much of its current facilities (much more than just restaurant and retail changes) as they will continue to be used for several more years as the new terminal and concourses are built.

What needs to happen is the airport needs to continue seeing increased demand and passenger volumes increase. 2010 did see an increase over the two previous years, which is good. But it needs to continue, and they need to continue to see Delta commit to SLC (which they have).

Also, on the topic of the E concourse. The "Y" on the E concourse recently underwent upgrades which included completly enclosing it so it is now climate controlled. I won't say it is much prettier than it was, but it is a big improvement.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 8:20 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post
I probably sound like a broken record by now, but that's okay.

The airport plans on building the new terminal. BUT the airport will likely build the new terminal in phases. This approach will keep certain parts of the current terminals open and active while sections of the new terminal are completed. As sections of the new terminal are built, parts of the current terminals will be shut down, torn down and built on top of to finish the project. A new parking garage and airport support facilities will also be built and likely before the new terminal.

This is a $2 to 3 billion project. The airport is being cautious with its finances, as it should be. The airline industry is very volitile and never really predictable. Other airports have made the mistake of building huge brand new terminals without their tenants on board beforehand. In return, airlines have reduced service to these cities, tenants have left, and they are left in great amounts of debt because the tenants didn't want to pay the increased costs. The airport wants to get the airlines on board, especially Delta, before any major projects begin that would directly affect lease rates and costs to all tenants. Right now, the airlines do not want to see their costs to go up, which it would when the time comes to build the terminal. The good thing is the costs of operating out of SLC are so low right now (by far the cheapest hub airport to operate out of in the country), it really won't hurt anyone too much to charge airlines more to fly out of here.

In the mean time, the airport will be upgrading and rennovating much of its current facilities (much more than just restaurant and retail changes) as they will continue to be used for several more years as the new terminal and concourses are built.

What needs to happen is the airport needs to continue seeing increased demand and passenger volumes increase. 2010 did see an increase over the two previous years, which is good. But it needs to continue, and they need to continue to see Delta commit to SLC (which they have).

Also, on the topic of the E concourse. The "Y" on the E concourse recently underwent upgrades which included completly enclosing it so it is now climate controlled. I won't say it is much prettier than it was, but it is a big improvement.
I appreciate your repetition and reassurance. I need to be reminded often that SLC International Airport will not become like the remodeled Oakland Airport; that we have loftier ambitions.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 12:23 PM

Thanks Skyguy. Your factual knowledge on the subject is always appreciated, even if you do have to repeat yourself.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 3:35 PM

I know this must sound crazy, but something about me loves the outdated Salt Lake airport. Its unique. It takes you back. I don't know, I love flying in there and being flooded with memories of the way travel used to be when I was a kid and people used to wait for you right at the gate. Don't get me wrong, I'll be very excited when Salt Lake gets a shining new, impressive terminal - but you won't find me complaining about the current airport either.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 4:55 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Come on SkyGuy, how dare you interrupt emotionally motivated rants with your facts and level headedness.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 5:29 PM

Hey, rant on.

I want a brand spanking new big terminal more than anyone. I wish we had it. And we do need it badly. It's a matter of $$$ and how it's going to be paid off.

Also, they finally put the final list of new restaurants on the airport's website along with better maps. One restaurant the Tribune didn't mention was Cafe Rio, which I am more excited for than anything.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 3:15 AM

I use to work for HMSHost which use to be the main Food and Beverage Provider at the Airport. I still have friends that work there. HMSHost invested a great deal of money to Improve its stores and get stores like Wolfgang Puck, Manchu Wok built, Had several store refurbished and only in the few past years and has lost nearly half of the locations it had. ATG (Air Terminal Gifts) the main gift shop company lost all its contract locations. There are going to be major changes. Where there wasn't a specific store (Like Starbucks before security) there will be.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 3:47 AM
Lurker

I heard from a U of U planning professor yesterday that the SLC Airport is opposed to the Airport TRAX line because the airport generates a large portion of its revenue from parking. They tried to convince the city to have TRAX service end at the property line (the canal) and the airport would provide shuttle service to the terminals.

Maybe the airport is expecting a loss in profit due to less demand for parking and rental cars and is preparing for this by postponing terminal construction. They could be waiting to see what kind of impacts TRAX has before they make any big decisions.

Still, I'm very excited for a TRAX connection to the airport, even if it's delaying terminal construction. I've heard from many people that this will be the "best TRAX line" and also that it should have been built years ago.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 6:17 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
I heard from a U of U planning professor yesterday that the SLC Airport is opposed to the Airport TRAX line because the airport generates a large portion of its revenue from parking. They tried to convince the city to have TRAX service end at the property line (the canal) and the airport would provide shuttle service to the terminals.

Maybe the airport is expecting a loss in profit due to less demand for parking and rental cars and is preparing for this by postponing terminal construction. They could be waiting to see what kind of impacts TRAX has before they make any big decisions.

Still, I'm very excited for a TRAX connection to the airport, even if it's delaying terminal construction. I've heard from many people that this will be the "best TRAX line" and also that it should have been built years ago.

Speaking of the Airport line, I notice these pass few days at work that crews have began work on the airport trax station right by the terminal.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 6:54 AM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

Speaking of the Airport line, I notice these pass few days at work that crews have began work on the airport trax station right by the terminal.

Pics please?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
No, this isn't true. In fact, a large portion of the funding for the line is coming from the airport and grants given to the airport. Why would the airport try to convince the city not to let it build on the airport? The airport is owned and operated by the city. The airport considers the TRAX line one of its best accomplishments. They also are aware it will bring in some less revenue for parking but it will bring in more revenue in other ways. But to say (i know it isn't you saying it) the airport is opposed to the TRAX line going to the airport is completely untrue. It's quite the opposite.

And the Trax construction has nothing to do with the delays of building a new terminal. The TRAX line has been part of the airport's master plan since the idea of TRAX was even conceived in the valley.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West