HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
^^^ or the crazy number of vehicle break-ins in the River Heights area last summer. It's always unfortunate but happens everywhere.
I'm not sure if River Heights gets it any worse than other parts of the city or if the media just focuses on it more, but it seems that there are frequent car and garage break in epidemics in that area.

But yeah, sadly, parking a van full of stuff overnight downtown practically guarantees a break in. As much as the car theft issue has been addressed throughout the city, car break ins are still a fact of life... especially downtown.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 8:35 PM

huge car theft and house break ins all over the south east looks in island lakes and southdale

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 4:01 PM

For an interesting contrast to the one built on Portage, here is Saskatoon's planned Alt Hotel. You can click on the link to Echoes' message below to access the full series of renderings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
More renderings of the Alt Hotel/No. 1 River Landing Condo beginning construction this year in Saskatoon. Part of the larger River Landing project, which will include two office towers and a public plaza.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I know one family from Minnesota who now wish they parked the red mini-van in a downtown garage instead of on the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^There's a huge car theft problem in Sage Creek right now; it can happen anywhere.
Quote:
^^^ or the crazy number of vehicle break-ins in the River Heights area last summer. It's always unfortunate but happens everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
huge car theft and house break ins all over the south east looks in island lakes and southdale
My truck has been broken into probably 3 times in North Kildonan..... what the hell?

Funny side note: I lift weights and use chalk, which greatly helps your grip/friction on the bar. The last time someone broke into my truck I had carelessly left THREE laptops in the back seat...

But also a ziploc bag of dusty chalk.

Needless to say, I found the laptops there the next day but no chalk. I can only assume some 14 year olds somewhere were snorting it, looking for adverse effects.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
My truck has been broken into probably 3 times in North Kildonan..... what the hell?
I live in Riverview, no car break ins in over 7 years here. However, if I fail to lock my car doors at night before bedtime, I will likely be relieved of my shopping cart change in the console. I think I'm out about 5 bucks so far.

Quote:
Funny side note: I lift weights and use chalk, which greatly helps your grip/friction on the bar. The last time someone broke into my truck I had carelessly left THREE laptops in the back seat...

But also a ziploc bag of dusty chalk.

Needless to say, I found the laptops there the next day but no chalk. I can only assume some 14 year olds somewhere were snorting it, looking for adverse effects.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 4:20 PM

Quote:
It's terrible this continues to happen regularly. It seems these people have no sense of shame.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 4:58 PM

^RE: Alt Saskatoon — To be fair, our render looked very different from what we got, and the hotel portion of that building doesn't even look all that good to begin with. Nice podium with a pretty simple tower on top, same thing could easily happen there.

And in terms of breakins, lots of my neighbours in RH with nice cars leave their windows open and/or doors unlocked.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^RE: Alt Saskatoon — To be fair, our render looked very different from what we got, and the hotel portion of that building doesn't even look all that good to begin with. Nice podium with a pretty simple tower on top, same thing could easily happen there.
True, our renderings were better than the final product. But man, just the all of the extra windows as opposed to the small slivers of glass in ours is a massive improvement.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Winnipeg's Alt is new, but looks as if it needs a makeover.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Winnipeg's Alt is new, but looks as if it needs a makeover.
It looks like it's made of construction paper. Its so dull & black. Reminds me of an arts & crafts project.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Agreed, LOL. chalkboard paint?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 5:17 PM

Damn, I'm the lone Centrepoint apologist on the Alt also haha!

I actually LOVE the matted finish. I also really like the asymmetrical window treatment, but still wish they had 33% more windows. Far too few windows.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 9:16 PM

^I wish the window frames were done in some of their bright corporate colours, or the yellow of the (chopped-off) fin. Would give in more visual interest.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 10:00 PM

I put a complaint in to 311 as Hargrave St in front of the parking lot is in really ruff shape after the construction. I don't know if or when the contractor it planning to fix the area where they had their laydown area but now that the barricades are down the pavement is full of potholes etc.

There are two large ones that nearly shook some fillings out when I drove over them in the dark at 5am coming home from work at 5am this morning.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 11:45 PM

I removed 2 dozen large sharp screws from the middle of the left lane in front of GH. Workers don't give a damn.
Watch out on Hargrave where they are replacing those windows. Same stuff lying on the road.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I put a complaint in to 311 as Hargrave St in front of the parking lot is in really ruff shape after the construction. I don't know if or when the contractor it planning to fix the area where they had their laydown area but now that the barricades are down the pavement is full of potholes etc.

There are two large ones that nearly shook some fillings out when I drove over them in the dark at 5am coming home from work at 5am this morning.
The road in front of the Marlborough is an embarrassment. Nothing in the downtown core should ever be that bad.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 1:41 AM
BANNED

The street or the hotel? Both?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
The street or the hotel? Both?
ha!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
The road in front of the Marlborough is an embarrassment. Nothing in the downtown core should ever be that bad.
Wasn't there sewer or watermain repairs done there a few months ago? I know that it takes a few months for the permanent patches to be installed. Something about letting the backfill settle.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:04 PM

Quote:

Drive that every day, it's absurd how bad it is. Way better off leaving that right lane closed. You can't even really see how bad it is while approaching because the street bows up a bit. "Potholes" is a gross understatement lol. It's a quarry.

Do developers not have to pay to fix the roads when they tear them up that bad? Like it's clearly not a coincidence that the road is completely destroyed after 2 years of construction on it.

Quote:
Wasn't there sewer or watermain repairs done there a few months ago? I know that it takes a few months for the permanent patches to be installed. Something about letting the backfill settle.
They were mostly right up at Portage, the first 20 feet of Smith are nice asphalt now, the rest is a disaster haha.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan