HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Anyone catch this in the news yesterday? Apparently there is now talk about closing all or part of the Manitoba Youth Centre to allow Route 90 to be widened without expropriating as many houses. This would mean shifting the plan to now only taking properties on the west side of Kennaston from Taylor all the way to the bridge, possibly? This is quite a change from the plan that has been talked about for years where they would alternate and take property on both sides of the road to avoid the jail. Makes more sense to me. Apparently the Provincial government isn't apposed to the idea. I'm thinking it appeals to voters in Tuxedo who would prefer to see the Jail moved out of their neighbourhood.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.4832261
I did some work at the Headingley Ladies Jail once, and the guy there was telling me that Corrections owns a huge amount of land around it and that in the future MYC and another remand centre would be built there. I have no idea how reliable this info is.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:38 PM

I Have been working with a Occupational Therapist the last couple weeks who works for Winnipeg Transit. She explained to me how the new temporary and permanent curb separated bike lanes are causing accessibility issues for people with disabilities, especially with Handi Transit. Handi Transit has a mandate to drop people off within a certain distance to their destination. They aren't able to do this when a curb separated bike lane is in front of their destination or where they are being picked up as the ramps cannot reach the side walk.

These are beginning to present safety concerns. Perhaps pylon separated lanes should only be allowed in front of businesses and residences or government offices to prevent this going forward. This way handi transit would still have access to the sidewalks to pick up and drop off people. Any other suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:40 PM

We weren't working on this issue in particular I should add. This was just something that came up in conversation.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 8:16 PM

^^ This is one of the many issues coming up on why Winnipeg needs to update its transportation plan as a whole instead of flying off to chase the project of the moment.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking it appeals to voters in Tuxedo who would prefer to see the Jail moved out of their neighbourhood.
I am fairly certain that the Conservative government being open to moving the MYC away from their voters in Tuxedo is part of the plan. The other piece in the MYC stories that somewhat surprised me is that it currently houses both male and female youth and there is no exclusively female youth corrections facility. My initial reaction was that part of the move to make changes to MYC could be to further establish a dedicated female youth facility, either in its correct location or at another location.

Along those same lines it could make sense to consolidate male youth into a single facility instead of the two facilities they operate now. And there could be some possible synergies is having a male youth, female youth and adult female facility on the same campus in Headingley. For example one common vehicle pool to move people between the facilities and the law courts. Could have a single physical plant too.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 3:01 AM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ MYC would date back to when, the 70s? I would imagine youth crime was much less of an issue then... street gangs as we know them didn't exist then, for one thing. It would surprise me if the facility wasn't outgrown a long time ago, and there really isn't much room to expand there.

(Although mind you there is loads of space at Grant and Kenaston where such a thing could be accommodated...)

Last edited by esquire; Sep 22, 2018 at 11:25 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:04 AM

MYC and the Manitoba Housing complex at Tuxedo and Doncaster were built back in the day by the NDP in the late 70s and I’m sure the residents of Tuxedo were never happy with that arrangement. Perhaps this is a convenient way for the conservatives to finally get one of these things out of Tuxedo. This would make a lot more sense than demolishing more houses just to save an out-of-date, undersized youth detention centre.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:24 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
MYC and the Manitoba Housing complex at Tuxedo and Doncaster were built back in the day by the NDP in the late 70s and I’m sure the residents of Tuxedo were never happy with that arrangement. Perhaps this is a convenient way for the conservatives to finally get one of these things out of Tuxedo. This would make a lot more sense than demolishing more houses just to save an out-of-date, undersized youth detention centre.
It was more like 1971 for the Youth Centre, if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It was more like 1971 for the Youth Centre, if I remember correctly.
Right, 1972 according to this press release:

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/archives...uth_centre.pdf

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 11:29 AM
Think about Winnipeg.

How much of an issue can MYC even be for the residents on a practical level? I mean, it's locked down. If I'm a local NIMBY, I'd probably be kvetching more about the MB Housing facility across the street which has seen it's share of yellow police tape over the years.

But that said, just considering population growth and the emergence of youth gangs, I would imagine that the facility had been outgrown... Although I suppose the province could always build a smaller second facility instead of one massive new detention centre and keep the existing one open.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 1:20 PM

MYC is not very full. They have lately been moving many kids to Agassiz (Portage La Prairie). My wife works with some of these kids, and she is upset because many families are no longer able to visit their kids in jail (no car).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ MYC would date back to when, the 70s? I would imagine youth crime was much less of an issue then... street gangs as we know them didn't exist then, for one thing. It would surprise me if the facility wasn't outgrown a long time ago, and there really isn't much room to expand there.

(Although mind you there is loads of space at Grant and Kenaston where such a thing could be accommodated...)
I don’t think think moving the retention centre onto an urban reserve is the best idea...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I Have been working with a Occupational Therapist the last couple weeks who works for Winnipeg Transit. She explained to me how the new temporary and permanent curb separated bike lanes are causing accessibility issues for people with disabilities, especially with Handi Transit. Handi Transit has a mandate to drop people off within a certain distance to their destination. They aren't able to do this when a curb separated bike lane is in front of their destination or where they are being picked up as the ramps cannot reach the side walk.

These are beginning to present safety concerns. Perhaps pylon separated lanes should only be allowed in front of businesses and residences or government offices to prevent this going forward. This way handi transit would still have access to the sidewalks to pick up and drop off people. Any other suggestions on how to solve this issue?
This is not new, I remember one of the reporters from the Free Press doing a story a year or so ago about the problems they had with their own handicapped van discharging their wheelchair using daughter on Sherbrook.

The ramp from his van would block the bike lane when they were loading / unloading her potentially causing a way for a bike user to collide with it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 2:11 PM

I think the solution is building “loading pads” where the bike lane would go up and around. I’m thinking the exact same design as the bus pads, but for loading.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Yes that will appease the residents of tuxedo and win votes cause I’m sure the massive urban reserve will just have all of tuxedo out with open arms at the next election lol

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 9:39 PM

Man I can't believe how they sacrificed a lane of traffic on McDermot and Princess for dedicated bike lanes for the 20 cyclists who will use it for six months of the year! Who is driving this insanity, looking to see what's left come spring time after a winter of snow plows!~

Was in Dublin last week and in a city where you can cycle year round the madness of dedicated bike lanes is not evident and rightly so!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 4:13 AM

Princess was 4 lanes before the construction, and is still 4 lanes after. They moved the bike lane to the curb instead of the middle of traffic. There was no afternoon rush hour parking restrictions on the right side of Princess before, so even in rush hour it's still the identical 3 through lanes as they've just flipped sides. There is literally no change in traffic on Princess. McDermot definitely was impacted, but traffic never moved in rush hour to begin with, so it's not going to see much affect.

One thing they definitely need to do on McDermot is have better lane-designation signage, and have advance warning of lane directions... it is definitely quite a bit different than before, and what's causing some issues now is people trying to change lanes last minute in the last block or two before Main because they didn't realize they were (or weren't) in a turn lane.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Man I can't believe how they sacrificed a lane of traffic on McDermot and Princess
aarrg, McDermot lost 1 lane its entire stretch, McPhillips to Main.

Too bad they couldn't have used the sidewalk or boulevard instead, one side for pedestrians, one side for bikes. But oh well, i started using different routes to avoid McDermot. Its not that bad but once you hit around Adelaide its bumper to bumper. Plenty of light cycles where you didn't even move.

Last edited by rkspec; Oct 4, 2018 at 12:37 PM. Reason: change Notere Dame to Mcphillips

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:55 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Optimus Reim got started with this beauty last year on the perimeter forum:
[IMG]100-1-207 by Simon Reimer, on Flickr[/IMG]

For your viewing pleasure: 100/1/207 clusterf*** taken care of.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
aarrg, McDermot lost 1 lane its entire stretch, Notre to Main.

Too bad they couldn't have used the sidewalk or boulevard instead, one side for pedestrians, one side for bikes. But oh well, i started using different routes to avoid McDermot. Its not that bad but once you hit around Adelaide its bumper to bumper. Plenty of light cycles where you didn't even move.
Yup let's inconvenience 99.9% of the population so that the 0.1% who bike commute five months of the year can ride on a semi protected roadway!~

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan