HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 12:00 AM

One thing I expect in the coming years is "me too" projects in regards to large infrastructure.

I suspect after the Regina Bypass opens the calls for a Saskatoon Perimeter road will intensify. Likewise, after the Saskatoon BRT opens we'll see calls for rapid transit in Regina. Saskatoon is finishing their new civic operations centre, and Regina has been able to leverage that into getting federals funds for theirs.

Both are looking to develop their North Downtowns from industrial railyards to mixed use urban communities. Both have long stalled, but now active high rise residential projects being excavated in their downtowns.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 12:41 AM

This thread is more for fun than anything ,happy holidays

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 12:49 AM

/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 12:50 AM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 6:37 PM

I don't think the presence of U of S can be understated. I heard the economic boon of the university alone is around ~600 million annually. I grew up in a university town and the demographic/economic patterns seem the same but amplified 4x in Saskatoon. I know there are lots of financial and corporate jobs here too, but without the U of S Saskatoon wouldn't be anything bigger or relevant than Moncton.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
I don't think the presence of U of S can be understated. I heard the economic boon of the university alone is around ~600 million annually. I grew up in a university town and the demographic/economic patterns seem the same but amplified 4x in Saskatoon. I know there are lots of financial and corporate jobs here too, but without the U of S Saskatoon wouldn't be anything bigger or relevant than Moncton.
Yep. It wasn't until the 60's and 70's that Regina actually had it's own real standalone university.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Yep. It wasn't until the 60's and 70's that Regina actually had it's own real standalone university.
It officially became it's own university in 1974. For most of its history it's been a fraction the size of the U of S and it's only been in the last 25 years that's it's really grown into itself.

It's unfortunate that it's kind of separate from the rest of the city but further development on campus should help that.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
It officially became it's own university in 1974. For most of its history it's been a fraction the size of the U of S and it's only been in the last 25 years that's it's really grown into itself.

It's unfortunate that it's kind of separate from the rest of the city but further development on campus should help that.
Yeah, while the U of R location near the lake is nice, it's unfortunate that it is on the edge of the city. On the other hand, it does have a lot of room to grow in the future.

While the UofR has grown quite a bit in the last few decades, it is missing one thing the UofS has: graduate programs. The UofR has actually caught up to the UofS in undergraduates, I believe, but still lags far behind when it comes to graduate studies. There are some, of course, but nothing of the size and quality of Saskatoon.

I like both cities! I think Saskatoon has the better downtown in terms of activity and attractions (though I like the more grid-like nature of Regina), but Regina has the nicer park for summer activities I think. Both are nice places to be in.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 1:00 AM

thanks all you guys for replying to my post. The main points I am taking away from this are the UofS factor and the reduction of some government and corp. jobs in R.
But as noted I think the populations of both will stay close for generations to come

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hired_goons View Post
thanks all you guys for replying to my post. The main points I am taking away from this are the UofS factor and the reduction of some government and corp. jobs in R.
But as noted I think the populations of both will stay close for generations to come
Generally speaking, growth begets growth, so it's likely that Saskatoon will continue to pull away from Regina (albeit slowly). Things can always change, but assuming the economies of the province stay the same, you'll see Saskatoon slowly grow further ahead of Regina, population-wise.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 8:38 PM

Hmm, a somewhat derisive yet entertaining thread, in some ways it's informative and not at the same time, but If you guys enjoy a city vs. city thread giver ...

Two fine cities each with unique qualities and intrinsic values that contribute to the overall appeal and diversity found in Sask.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 3:34 AM

They seem pretty similar demographically, with Saskatoon being a bit larger and newer.

Aboriginal identity

Regina 9.9%
Saskatoon 11.3%

Visible minority

Regina 19.2%
Saskatoon 19.8%

University graduates

Regina 31.2%
Saskatoon 33.8%

Average income

Regina $53,458
Saskatoon $52,090

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan