HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
Hwy 39 is a connector route to Minot and Bismarck. They are both huge cities. That would create a trade route for the USA too, not just Canada.
I sure hope you're being facetious when you say Minot and Bismarck are huge cities lol

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I sure hope you're being facetious when you say Minot and Bismarck are huge cities lol
They may not be huge cities, but they still are pretty big lol.

But yeah, Interstate 70 in Breezewood PA needs to be fixed first LOL

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Hwy 39 is a connector route to Minot and Bismarck. They are both huge cities. That would create a trade route for the USA too, not just Canada.
You will lose credibility on this thread, when you call Minot and Bismarck "huge cities."

As for the trade route, there is no large American city remotely close to where 39 crosses the border, not to mention the largest city it passes through in Canada is Moose Jaw. Denver is over 12 hours away, and until you reach that city, Williston,ND with 30,000 people is the largest city one will encounter.

At least with the Winnipeg, it was considered a major centre for trade in the 60s when the did I-29, and it is less than 8 hours from Minneapolis-St.Paul (3.6 Million), runs through Fargo-Moorhead (300,000), Sioux Falls (300,000), Omaha (960,000), and Kansas City (2,400,000).

The other major prairie crossing would be hwy 4 in Alberta, which connects through Edmonton and Calgary (via QE2), each having a population of over 1,500,000. In the USA, I-15 runs through Great Falls, Helena, and Idaho Falls, before reaching Salt Lake City (metro area 2,700,000), then Las Vegas (2,300,000), San Bernardino-Riverside (4,200,000) and finally San Diego (3,500,000).

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 29, 2024 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
They may not be huge cities, but they still are pretty big lol.
Minot has fewer people than Brandon.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Minot has fewer people than Brandon.
Whoops. I didn't mean huge cities. I meant bigger cities. Not huge lol. Typos happen LOL.

Minot and Bismarck are medium sized cities.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2024, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Whoops. I didn't mean huge cities. I meant bigger cities. Not huge lol. Typos happen LOL.

Minot and Bismarck are medium sized cities.
I would not even call them "medium sized cities."

I've always considered the definition of "medium sized" cities to be 100,000 to 500,000. Some even say it is more than that, as Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hamilton could technically be called medium sized cities.

I would say Brandon. Moose Jaw, and Minot would be small cities. Really anything under 100,000 people is not really medium sized.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 3:03 AM

LOL Bismarck and Minot are small insignificant cities in the grand scheme of things. They are only 'significant' to people who travel down there to shop, Minot for the American Airforce and Bismarck as a small US state capital. Otherwise, they hold no significance.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Apr 29, 2024 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
LOL Bismarck and Minot are small insignificant cities in the grand scheme of things. They are only 'significant' to people who travel down there to shop, Minot for the American Airforce and Bismarck as a small US state capital. Otherwise, they hold no significance.
And to fly a lot cheaper with Delta, United, and Allegiant.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 5:48 PM

Why is 75 hwy down to one lane again where they did the construction last year? Is it because they are doing shoulder improvements? And how long will it last?

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 6:08 PM

Only 3/4 of the work got done. There will also be another section done on the south side of Morris this year too.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 6:46 PM

Highway 75 South of St Jean needs to be fixed big time. It's so bad, I cannot believe it.

Thankfully that segment near Morris is being fixed. It was so bad that a chunk of cement flew into a truckers face while driving

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 9:39 PM

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...5.cms?from=mdr

I wonder if this would work in Canada

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Highway 75 South of St Jean needs to be fixed big time. It's so bad, I cannot believe it.

Thankfully that segment near Morris is being fixed. It was so bad that a chunk of cement flew into a truckers face while driving
I-29 just south of the border is not in great condition either, to be honest. Some fairly large potholes in the lanes to swerve around and then some significant gaps on the center line between the lanes where a smaller vehicle's tires could get grabbed - I drive a big truck and could feel it getting pulled in as I switched lanes a few times.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
I-29 just south of the border is not in great condition either, to be honest. Some fairly large potholes in the lanes to swerve around and then some significant gaps on the center line between the lanes where a smaller vehicle's tires could get grabbed - I drive a big truck and could feel it getting pulled in as I switched lanes a few times.
I-29 North of Grand Forks isn't that good. But i-29 going south towards Fargo is in almost perfect shape (considering they fix it pretty often). I don't think i-29 North is as bad in comparison to Hwy 75 in some parts of Manitoba, but still needs to be taken care of

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 4:16 PM

As of 2023. SB PTH 75 from Ste Agathe to Morris is/was to be reconstructed. Can't remember the state of those projects.

By St. Jean you mean St. Jean Baptiste?

The province identified some work to be done from Morris to Letellier on SB lanes. But was only $2 million over 4 years. Maybe that's for design and the price will be updated?

The Province had committed to upgrading PTH 75. So would assume they will replace those lanes in the near future. They've been doing decently well with 75.

Last edited by bomberjet; May 7, 2024 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
As of 2023. SB PTH 75 from Ste Agathe to Morris is/was to be reconstructed. Can't remember the state of those projects.

By St. Jean you mean St. Jean Baptiste?

The province identified some work to be done from Morris to Letellier on SB lanes. But was only $2 million over 4 years. Maybe that's for design and the price will be updated?

The Province had committed to upgrading PTH 75. So would assume they will replace those lanes in the near future. They've been doing decently well with 75.
That's good to know. Getting those SB lanes done are a must. At least we are making progress on 75.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 5:20 AM

Is it just me, or does anyone else seem to notice when one leaves the city limits, the roads have less potholes, and don't remind me of a third world nation, in terms of infrastructure?

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Is it just me, or does anyone else seem to notice when one leaves the city limits, the roads have less potholes, and don't remind me of a third world nation, in terms of infrastructure?
Try 18th st. in Brandon.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Well, most roads in Manitoba are in better shape than in Winnipeg. Hwy 1 in Brandon is horrible (I remember 2022 when it was all potholes in the spring). Last time I was in Brandon I don't remember the road conditions, and I heard they were supposed to resurface it.

Hwy 59 South of 52 before resurfacing made USA feel like a rich cousin to Canada. Thankfully 59 South of Ile Des Chenes doesn't have potholes really, but still bad shape.

75 Southbound needs to be fixed, but progress is being made.

Highway 302 South of 12, a route I take often, is potholes and bumps. It's built over the rat river swamp, so it would explain its condition.

Most of the highways that aren't bad (like potholes) in Manitoba are usually just bumpy. There are rare cases where a highway is smooth (e.g. a Highway that was repaved within 5 years).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan