HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 7:58 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Baphomet View Post
This is China. You weren't really expecting anything even remotely resembling competence and professionalism were you?
Keeping the hope alive.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:30 AM
if I sang out of tune

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1698&page=1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eroha View Post
Skyscraper Shanghai Tower view from space.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 7:35 PM
if I sang out of tune

cloud 9 by matteroffact, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 2:02 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 4:25 PM
Community Guy

1st shot from space is quite an interesting perspective.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 4:45 PM

I just don't get it. Your view from the inside is of ugly poles and beams and another set of windows.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
I just don't get it. Your view from the inside is of ugly poles and beams and another set of windows.
The outer shell has purpose which is to provide fresh air to all the floors as well as to take wind loads and disperse them when typhoons and high winds arrive. The view may not be perfect but there still is one. Also everyone working in the building has the opportunity to go to the open garden spaces that reach the outer shell on the belt trusses.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
The outer shell has purpose which is to provide fresh air to all the floors as well as to take wind loads and disperse them when typhoons and high winds arrive. The view may not be perfect but there still is one. Also everyone working in the building has the opportunity to go to the open garden spaces that reach the outer shell on the belt trusses.
Yeah, I don't see this solution being used for many other megatalls in the future.

Last edited by Guiltyspark; Mar 8, 2015 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 5:41 AM
Future God

You win, China. You win.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 8:49 AM

Lots of tall towers but not much density. I prefer the Manhattan or San Francisco approach to skyscraper development. Shoehorn them in close together, makes the skyline so much more robust!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 7:00 PM

You want density, you have to look at the Bund. Or Shenzhen or Guangzhou. It doesn't all look like Changsha.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 12:33 AM

While I've never been a huge fan of how this tower looks, I am completely in awe of the size and how it makes the Jin Mao look small. These 3 (including World Financial are in my opinion the most impressive trio of supertalls in the world.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 4:34 PM
More transit please

What a beauty

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
This is a point worth making. Tenants will have to decide for themselves if the view is any good or not. Having worked in Shanghai office buildings myself, I can tell you that most of the worker bees are going to be too busy working, or running chat apps on their PCs, to look out the window. However it's not unreasonable to suggest that some of the executive types might dislike the fact that this structure inherently does not allow good window views. It is also unclear (pun not intended) how good the view will actually be with 2 sets of glass to look through separated by the inner belt framework. Chinese cities are dusty (mostly with the really nasty particulate stuff that causes cancer and god knows what else) and that's not gonna help either, although Shanghai is better off in that area than Beijing.

The tenants may well decide that going to the atrium on their breaks and looking out through only one pane of glass is good enough. Then again, they may not. This is a risk that Strabala took with what is still a very radical design even with all its admitted practical advantages. I think the building will fill in the medium term just because of the enormity of the east China office market and the prestige of its being the tallest. But in the long term there may be a question; if it gets the reputation of having lousy views then the Chinese hive mind may well turn against it. Chinese businessmen are nothing if not prestige and face conscious and if there is a perception that it's inferior in any way then they will flee it in droves.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 3:59 PM

Shanghai Tower Story in Popular Science Magazine, April 2015

Check out Popular Science magazine's April 2015 story and impressive two-page color photo of Shanghai Tower at:
http://www.popsci.com/looking-down-t...llest-building

The colossal Shanghai Tower looks even more amazing in the print and tablet editions of Popular Science, and the magazine's print edition is now available for sale at newsstands worldwide, or, see at the Flickr studio of Shanghai Tower Chief Architect Marshall Strabala, who is quoted in the accompanying story, at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/archit...n/16833524491/ The incredible photo was taken by Vadim Makhorov, one of the Russian adventurers who climbed the tower in February 2014

Photo on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 6:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Fanfuckingtastic tower.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 2:06 PM
if I sang out of tune

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 2:44 PM
BANNED

Awesome!!!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 12:02 AM
Illustrator

awesome megatall :Cheers:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 3:04 PM

How Does the Shanghai Tower Compare to the Burj Khalifa?

How does the Shanghai Tower, the world's #2 tallest building, compare to the Burj Khalifa, the world's #1 tallest building?

Find out in this Emirates 24/7 story that interviewed Marshall Strabala, Chief Architect of Shanghai Tower. Strabala also was studio head at SOM and led the design team working on the Burj Khalifa under architect Adrian Smith. Read the in-depth story at http://www.emirates247.com/news/crea...03-25-1.585289

Flickr photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/archite...n/16306886903/

Last edited by ChicagoMan; Mar 25, 2015 at 3:55 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive