HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm actually kinda glad there'll delay two way conversion of King St W. The plan didn't include any transit lane(s) or anything for East-West rapid transit corridor. Hopefully it's just a year delay though, suppose to happen 2010.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:26 PM
Closed account

^anne's about a thousand years old. you have to patient with people of that vintage.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:29 PM
Closed account

'Former Hamilton-Wentworth regional chair Anne Jones '

I have never even HEARD of this woman before. And as a 'former' chair of a super old region, SHE must be historic!

Why didn't they just ask some more random people?
"Joe McBlow from Brantford says, 'now how am I suppose to street-race in Hamiton? I aint ever goin' back der!" hahaha

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

Well they couldn't ask the lastest former regional chair Terry Cooke as he supports two way so they had to go with as the spec would put it "historic" regional chair.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 1:37 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Well they couldn't ask the lastest former regional chair Terry Cooke as he supports two way so they had to go with as the spec would put it "historic" regional chair.
hahaha good point, Steeltown! Key Word: HISTORIC!! haha

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 2:00 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

They were probably so desperate to find someone that held that view that they visited her on her death bed. Hopefully the pin heads that think one ways are a good idea die off soon.

How costly can turning around some street lights and changing some signs be?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 2:01 PM
Closed account

she used to write an opinion column for the spec...maybe she still does. anyway, you know how old people are: "what about my taxes?" "things were better in my day" "where's my metamucil?" i love 'em but because of when they grew up they generally have no clue about what makes cities good. it's not their fault. they can't help it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 2:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

James and John South went over budget to convert two way with new paint, signs and traffic lights.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 3:43 PM
Closed account

Down boys. Don't be dumping on the elderly. Anne is anything but a pin head. Yes she's getting up there, but still formidable, and with gobs of wisdom that comes from decades of political experience in this town. She opposed the Red Hill Expressway. I was a bit surprised by her statement in the paper, but it was a pretty tepid opposition to two way streets if you ask me. I imagine she could be convinced of their benefit.

And I have to hand it to the Spec. They could have chosen to 'balance' the issue with some idiot from the burbs who feels entitled to speed through the downtown. Instead they chose a credible voice who couldn't manage anything more vociferous in the way of opposition than to say that one ways are working 'reasonably' well, and shouldn't be changed 'right now'.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 3:47 PM

Yay two-way Rebecca!

*does the happy dance*

e: oh, it's only up to John St.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 4:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
Yay two-way Rebecca!

*does the happy dance*

e: oh, it's only up to John St.
There's going to be an Urban Park right there, so I'm assuming that's why they wanted to slow traffic along Rebecca so soon. Can't wait for the project to begin!!

I'm not saying Ann is a pin head or anything like that, infact I totally respect any politician that was able to run/last in this city... but I'm just so sick of THEIR generation telling OUR generations what's good when what they created helped (not caused) the decay of our core.

We have evidence in our city itself proving two-way streets work better for the Urban Lifestyle than one-way expressways (James & John). So why can't she see how it works? Maybe she'll be able to appreciate two-way streets when she's living in Lister Retirement Castle and needs to cross King St!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 4:56 PM
Closed account

I heard the first 15 minutes of Bill Kelly's show today...WOW. I'm embarrassed to live in the same city as the brain-dead idiots that were calling in. brutal.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I heard the first 15 minutes of Bill Kelly's show today...WOW. I'm embarrassed to live in the same city as the brain-dead idiots that were calling in. brutal.
What were some of the comments?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 8:40 PM
Closed account

the same people who call in (if you listen to that show you get to know the callers - it's the same everyday) saying how horrible downtown is and how crappy it is, suddenly became the downtown's best friends. comments like "downtown is doing just fine with the system as it is". "if it's not broke, don't fix it". "I never shop downtown anyhow, and won't with two-way, so leave it one way so I can get through quickly" etc..... true Hamilton bull crap.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 8:40 PM

I could only imagine the comments...

"Downtown is dead, converting to two-way won't bring it back, it needs more stores. I never shop downtown because there's nowhere to shop and panhandlers and junkies everyhwere. Maybe they should get tear down some of those junky old buildings before they start messing with traffic."

"There will be traffic jams a mile long. Since they converted James St. I never go downtown anymore. Traffic was backed up all the way onto the mountain."

"I need to be able to get through town fast. If they convert these streets to two way traffic, everything will be backed up. I'll have to go all the way up to the Linc or through Burlington."

"It's always been one way and I think it's fine how it is. It's hard enough to drive downtown without changing everything around."

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 8:44 PM
Closed account

haha...actually you're right! those were actuall comments too.
The lady from the city said their data showed no increase in travel times along James or John since the conversion so people who say that are only guessing.
The businesses and BIA's want two-way. Hamiltonians love to use the "business-friendly" arguement when it comes to new highways, shovel-ready land, big box crap or aerotropolis.
But when it involves downtown, suddenly nobody cares what the businesses and business community thinks. It's a city full of selfish hicks that need to get lost and let the rest of us enjoy the revitalization of our fine town. Quit holding back our success for your uneducated, misguided selfishness!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 8:45 PM
Bobo in Purgatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I'm always embarrassed haha. It's terrible to say but Hamiltonians are generally of the sort that need to be told what is good for them, despite their protestations.

This is probably true of any democratic jurisdiction ... but it seems to me that in Hamilton the blockheads are often the most vociferous ... or at least manage to get their voices heard more often than they deserve.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 9:58 PM
Closed account

in part because all of our media outlets suck royally and are run by stiffs who think dinner at IKEA and dessert at McDonalds in Walmart is a great night out on the town. There is zero progressive/urban voice in Hamilton's mainstream. It's all stoogy, buttkissing baby boomers.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePinion View Post
or at least manage to get their voices heard more often than they deserve.
Those who shout the loudest get heard.........

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 2:35 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Those who shout the loudest get heard.........
yep...you're right. and those who are looked at as the city's 'media outlets' continue to shout and scream and carry on like idiots doing everything possible to hold our city back.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues