HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:56 PM
-

Residents are starting to move into apartments in 900 and I know there is a liquor license application on the corner unit. I know whats supposed to go in there but until something is signed nothing is certain.

The build out for the retail tenants may not nescessarily even use Gibbs construction. Depends on the lease terms I guess.

Some new renderings for 425 Notre Dame:

Sorry for the way I copied it from Paint!!!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 8:17 PM
TL;DR

Looks awesome! It seems like architects here generally do a good job designing traditional buildings, which is good consolation considering we don't get too much modernism.

BTW, THAT'S how you tie balconies onto a historic facade (even a faux-historic one). Jim MacPhaille, take note.

I don't like all those huge ventilation grates facing the sidewalk, though. Can't they create another retail space in there?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 8:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Looks awesome! It seems like architects here generally do a good job designing traditional buildings, which is good consolation considering we don't get too much modernism.

BTW, THAT'S how you tie balconies onto a historic facade (even a faux-historic one). Jim MacPhaille, take note.

I don't like all those huge ventilation grates facing the sidewalk, though. Can't they create another retail space in there?
I bet that will change at the next meeting cause yes I agree they could be changed or improved. Remember this is the Notre Dame side. Girod will have plenty of commercial on the bottom of it.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 9:49 PM

Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I bet that will change at the next meeting cause yes I agree they could be changed or improved. Remember this is the Notre Dame side. Girod will have plenty of commercial on the bottom of it.
I have a feeling the large grate on the far right is a swing or lift gate for access to the parking beneath. But yeah, agreed it'd be nice to get rid of the other 2-3, but they have to have it somewhere...so hopefully they'll find a good spot.

Also, happened to drive by earlier today and saw they had shut down the sidewalk in front of the Girod side with construction fencing.

On the Julia@ Magazine building they have already removed the interior foundation and seem to be making real progress.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:09 PM

Drury

WOOOO they have now officially started construction (next week, whatever....)

8 floors, 2 of which are parking, 10,000 feet of retail space on the 3rd floor (why the 3rd?), a ballroom, and 60 new suites...cool.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...60-new-suites/

----------

Jazz & Heritage Foundation Building on Rampart:

My subscription to CityBusiness expired...may renew it, but the little blurb is all i basically need. I thought the old funeral home was offices, but it's actually been vacant and now they're converting it to a jazz school. Awesome!

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...o-jazz-school/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 2:34 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Im coming to NO in August for the first time ever for my cousins batchelor party. Im excited, not for drinking or gambling at all but to walk around and snap pics of the city and architecture! Typical SSPO nerd.... Will any locals care to walk around with me one morning on like a saturday and show me where to photograph?

I'll be in the city with 5 guys total but i think they are more into getting wasted and going to Harrahs. I'd rather just tour around one day. I'll be in town for like 3 days: Fri-Mon'ish.

We are staying at the Marriott ( http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...eans-marriott/ )now instead of Harrahs which is fine for me cause im not a gambler at all. It's a dumb way to spend your money. That being said, can anyone tell me where i can get some good blow to do lines off of a hookers ass? Now that is money well spent.

Last edited by Austinlee; Apr 11, 2012 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 3:53 PM

You, sir, just cost me a new keyboard!

Son of a bitch... I was drinking water while reading this in my office. It came out my mouth and nose frying my keyboard. Oh well. I guess it was worth the line and hooker comment. I just wasn't expecting that. Co-workers came to see why I was choking.

Fun times!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Im coming to NO in August for the first time ever for my cousins batchelor party. Im excited, not for drinking or gambling at all but to walk around and snap pics of the city and architecture! Typical SSPO nerd.... Will any locals care to walk around with me one morning on like a saturday and show me where to photograph?

I'll be in the city with 5 guys total but i think they are more into getting wasted and going to Harrahs. I'd rather just tour around one day. I'll be in town for like 3 days: Fri-Mon'ish.
Ask again when the time is closer. Im sure one or two of us could meet you for a little bit or at the least direct you where to go. Also I think the Marriot is nicer than Harrahs hotel. Their room service is horrible!

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
----------

Jazz & Heritage Foundation Building on Rampart:

My subscription to CityBusiness expired...may renew it, but the little blurb is all i basically need. I thought the old funeral home was offices, but it's actually been vacant and now they're converting it to a jazz school. Awesome!

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...o-jazz-school/
Heres a link to the plans for the Jazz School.
http://cityofno.granicus.com/MetaVie...meta_id=146115

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:02 PM

A few things

1. GE decided to rent 60,000 sq. feet from Place St. Charles for their new IT office. http://www.wwl.com/GE-Capital-leases...enter/12806226

2. Vote for the Mercedes-Benz Superdome as the arena with the prettiest lights (yes, you have to vote for the other categories too) : http://livedesignonline.com/excellenceawards/

3. An interesting article on how urban sprawl has slowed down in the US and may be reversing: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...?csp=fbfanpage

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 5:36 PM

Ge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
1. GE decided to rent 60,000 sq. feet from Place St. Charles for their new IT office. http://www.wwl.com/GE-Capital-leases...enter/12806226
They're probably going to take over the floors that Capital One gave up when they laid off a few hunderd people. That means they'll be in the lower tower riding the elevator with me! Great news...except now they'll be 300 more people riding the elevator with me.......

What is the square footage per floor in place st charles? 60,000 hsa to be 2-4 floors i geuss

Last edited by IceCream; Apr 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM. Reason: Question

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 6:59 PM
NOLA Razorback

Glad to see another building on Rampart being renovated! Has anyone heard any info regarding Google?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:21 PM
-

Heres some of the designwork for the glass cube at 309 Magazine Street.

Heres a picture next to the Country Inn and Suites:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
3. An interesting article on how urban sprawl has slowed down in the US and may be reversing: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...?csp=fbfanpage
I always hate to overgeneralize and delcare sprawl dead but I do think really far flung suburbs are a thing of the past and esecpially so in areas that were hit hard by the housing bust. One of the interesting things watch house hunters now is that most of the time the buyers are choosing the less appealing house/or smaller one mainly because of location. No one wants to be too far away anymore.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 8:21 PM

So what exactly is going inside of the glass cube. Am I wrong to currently think an Apple Store would veeeeery unlikely.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 9:59 PM
TL;DR

^^ Maybe not. Apple was reportedly looking at the former Borders on St. Charles. A CBD location would be better for tourist business as well as city residents.

On the other hand this seems like a bad spot for an Apple Store... no high-end retail in surrounding buildings or blocks, relatively little foot traffic on that stretch of Magazine, etc.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 12:29 AM
-

This is definitely not for Apple but is being designed by the same firm that does Apples stores. From what I understand its just someone building their company some really trendy corporate office. Still really neat infill and shows the desire to be in New Orleans is truly increasing if these little parcels are being utilized for something more than surface parking.
Heres the ARC Agenda description of the building:

A. 309 Magazine Street: Beverly Chasse, owner/applicant. Proposal for the construction of a one story structure behind existing three story façade.

Havent really been checking for new permits lately but will update as I can:

New Permits:

4213 MAGAZINE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70115
Project Description:
CONVERT VACANT COMMERCIAL BUILDONG TO A RESTURANT PER PLANS
Job Value($):
$680,000.00
BTW lol whats a "BUILDONG"?

703 CARONDELET ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130
ADD 3RD FLOOR AS A 1300 SF PENTHOUSE APARTMENT TO EXISTING MULTIFAMILY BUILDING PER PLANS AND HDLC.

622 CONTI ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130
CONVERT VACANT COMMERCIAL BUILDING INTO A MIX USE BIUILDING BY DOING A TENANT BUILD OUT OF THE 4TH FLOOR INTO AN APARTMENT AS PER PLANS. NO EXTERIOR WORK UNDER THIS PERMIT.
Job Value($):
$450,000.00

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 12, 2012 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:15 AM
TL;DR

4123 Magazine is the former Ebony Square Cultural Center...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:58 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
You, sir, just cost me a new keyboard!

Son of a bitch... I was drinking water while reading this in my office. It came out my mouth and nose frying my keyboard. Oh well. I guess it was worth the line and hooker comment. I just wasn't expecting that. Co-workers came to see why I was choking.

Fun times!
Wow, reverend; I apologize! Can't believe I actually fried your keyboard for you. Shit!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:49 PM

Work on this LSU administrative building started. Tulane avenue directly across from LSU Academic Hospital site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations