HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Does anyone know what store will be opening beside the Winners in Gatineau (beside the HWY 50)? They already extended the Winners building westward, but I haven't seen any sign of a new tenant.
No, and I have been snooping around for info but can't find any.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 6:55 PM

A Michaels store. They are entering the Quebec market (7 or 8 new stores I think).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:31 PM

I find it odd that the Trainyards is putting its "style" (the green on top, the ugly yellow/cream and the bricks) even on the bigger box retailers. I didn't look very closely, but does the Michaels beside it also follow this pattern? I know the WalMart does not, but if I remember correctly, it is not actually part of the Trainyards development. The Sail does just on the very side-edges, I don't think The Athletic Club or Score does.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I find it odd that the Trainyards is putting its "style" (the green on top, the ugly yellow/cream and the bricks) even on the bigger box retailers. I didn't look very closely, but does the Michaels beside it also follow this pattern? I know the WalMart does not, but if I remember correctly, it is not actually part of the Trainyards development. The Sail does just on the very side-edges, I don't think The Athletic Club or Score does.
The Michael's looks like a mirror image of the Marshalls - so yes to answer your question. Even though Wal-Mart may not be part of the development, it's supercenter brick colours are also a creamy-beige.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
The Michael's looks like a mirror image of the Marshalls - so yes to answer your question. Even though Wal-Mart may not be part of the development, it's supercenter brick colours are also a creamy-beige.
But that is true of all WalMart supercentres. Most other Michaels in Ottawa (and probably Canada), have the same look at feel, that do not include the green and the brick, which is exclusive to Trainyards. I guess my question is why this development is requiring their lease holders to include a specific design scheme, instead of letting them use their ready-made designs that all the other stores (Michaels, in this case) use in other developments.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:27 PM

According to 1310 news, Sears at the Rideau Centre will be closing October 31st.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 1:36 PM

Sounds like they have sold three of their leases back to the landlord for $170 million.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2356330/

"could open the way for U.S. department-store retailer Nordrstrom Inc. to finally pick up coveted space in Canada"

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 2:26 PM
Closed account

Or perhaps Ogilvy or Simons?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Or perhaps Ogilvy or Simons?

The o-dot blog suggested a massive Shopper's Drug Mart with a Bridgehead

In all seriousness the space 240,000 sq ft. I suspect that is a bit on the large size for Simons. The old plan that had them at St Laurent was around 70,000.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:05 PM

The sears space could be divided up among more than one retailer. Perhaps a Crate&Barrel as one of them seeing as they seemed to have pulled out of the Lansdowne project.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
The sears space could be divided up among more than one retailer. Perhaps a Crate&Barrel as one of them seeing as they seemed to have pulled out of the Lansdowne project.
I was thinking the same thing. You can fit a whole new wing in there. The GM of the Rideau Centre has said the reason they don't have American and European retailers like H&M and Victoria's Secret is because they don't have enough space. With Sears leaving they'll have 240,000 square feet of free space. I'd love to see them move the food court into a part of that space temporarily until the expansion is done so they can add more stores along Rideau Street next to Forever 21. The food court would be close to the bus passengers on the McKenzie King Bridge. It would be sad for that Forever 21 to be surrounded by mediocrity until they finally get around to the expansion.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:35 PM
Busy Beaver

With all the condos popping up in the area, the lower level could probably turned into an urban supermarket especially if they opened up access out on to Nicholas street. It would certainly liven up that ugly blank wall by the sad lonely heritage City Registry Office. I'm thinking something like the Maple Leaf Gardens Loblaws in Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 3:53 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

It'll probably be Nordstrom. Would a Canadian retailer really be this aggressive to buy out the leases at the busiest malls in three of Canada's top 5 metros?

And it has to be a single retailer who is pushing for it. The malls aren't going to buy out the leases unless they know they've got a tenant lined up to fill the space. Nordstrom makes perfect sense. They're an upscale department store that wants to be in prime spots.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 4:30 PM

With "pop-up" uses all the rage right now, until the next department store moves in, the current Sears space should become a pop-up central market including food booths, craft tables, art, cafes, public service displays, etc.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 4:49 PM

A few points.

-The lease(s) were bought out by Cadillac Fairview - the real estate arm of the teachers pension fund and owner of the mall.

-Cadillac Fairview approached Sears first.

-It is believed the rent was considerably below market rates.

I personally doubt the mall would want to divide the space as it is technically their only real anchor tenant as the bay is across the street. There would need to be a very compelling financial reason to do. I would have to think that they have someone in mind for the three locations - likely the same store for three.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 4:58 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
With all the condos popping up in the area, the lower level could probably turned into an urban supermarket
I love that idea.

I'm hoping (well, expecting) some sort of urban supermarket to come to the Westboro area in the next 5-10 years. There's a huge market for one, obviously growing. Not much good quality produce nearby without having to get in a car to go to Wellington Village, or the Farm Boy by Lincoln Fields. I'm lucky to walk to Superstore where it is, but it leaves much to be desired (people I talk to agree).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:37 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

OBJ chimes in...

Quote:
Sears shuttering Rideau Centre store

Peter Kovessy, March 2, 2012

Struggling department store retailer Sears Canada is closing its 240,000-square-foot Rideau Centre store by the end of October, along with locations in Vancouver and Calgary, the company announced Friday.

Rideau Centre general manager Cindy VanBuskirk declined to discuss what the move means to the Rideau Centre and directed questions to the mall's owner, Cadillac Fairview.

In a statement, Cadillac Fairview said it does not discuss tenant negotiations or leasing strategies. The company added that it is always looking for opportunities to "create a fresh and enticing shopping environment for our customers, and this agreement with Sears is a reflection of that."

The departure of Sears could open up opportunities for retailers who currently do not have a presence in Ottawa, which Ms. VanBuskirk said in an earlier interview is sometimes due to the unavailability of space within the city's prime shopping locations.

Speaking at last fall's Ottawa Real Estate Forum, Ms. VanBuskirk said there are several retailers who should have Ottawa on their radar, such as Crate & Barrel, Victoria's Secret, J.Crew, Anthropolgie and H&M. She named several other retailers that she'd like to see come to Ottawa, including Juicy Couture, Brooks Brothers, Williams-Sonoma and Pottery Barn.

"The reason they are not here is either that they are just coming to Canada and just going into the Toronto market, and Ottawa is a year or two away or - as in the case of H&M - they haven't been able to get the right real estate here. They can't find the right location, with the right size at the right time."

The city's regional malls and large power centres - representing almost seven million square feet of shopping space - ended 2011 with a vacancy rate of 0.6 per cent, according to statistics from Cushman & Wakefield Ottawa.

Sears will pay a total of $170 million to sell its Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver leases back to Cadillac Fairview in deals expected to close by April 20.

Some employees will have the opportunity to apply for other positions at nearby Sears locations, the company said. The retailer will also look at opening other Sears stores in the affected areas.

The move comes as the retailer works to revamp its struggling Canadian operations. Over the past few months it has laid off about 470 employees in an attempt to cut costs.

The sale of the three department stores follows a similar strategy made by its U.S. parent company in an attempt to shore up some cash.

"While we had no plans to close stores, the transaction for these three specific locations provides an attractive financial benefit for the company which strategically allows us to drive growth in areas which can be most beneficial," said president and CEO Calvin McDonald in a release.

"We are investing in a refresh of our stores and piloting new formats which will provide Canadians exciting ways to access Sears products and services. This is an opportunity for Sears Canada that fits well with our vision and where our strengths are as a retailer."

Sears and other Canadian retailers have been gearing up in preparation for the arrival of U.S. discount retailer Target next year.

Mr. McDonald took the lead role at Sears Canada last summer as the retailer pushed ahead with a streamlining effort to help reverse recent losses.

He has said he wants to make the stores more attractive, relevant and shopper friendly after finding that Sears' stores were cluttered and difficult to navigate.

Last month, the company announced plans to cut roughly 400 jobs across the country as it closed nearly all of its in-store cafes. Sears Canada also laid off about 70 employees in its head office last year.

Sears has roughly 30,000 employees across Canada and more than 400 corporate, dealer and home services stores.

In the National Captial Region, Sears also has locations at the St. Laurent Centre, Carlingwood Mall, the Ikea plaza off Pinecrest Road and across the Ottawa River in Hull and Aylmer.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/Retail/2012-...Centre-store/1

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
HAHAHAHA. That blog is just way too funny.

I'm really really really hoping for a Simons...Rideau Centre is a flawless location, it's serviced by STO and Simons holds serious appeal for the younger demographic that frequent Rideau Centre.

I wouldn't be surprised if the space was used as Temp space for certain stores while the expansion proceeds though....

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post

In all seriousness the space 240,000 sq ft. I suspect that is a bit on the large size for Simons. The old plan that had them at St Laurent was around 70,000.
H&M stores are also quite small as well. Even smaller than Simons.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:21 PM

I have heard that Nordstrom has agreed to take all three sears locations - Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver - they announced last year that they were coming to canada and were working on securing locations - they had listed cities they wanted to be in and all 3 were on that list plus toronto

sears has said they will be opening stores in the markets they have had to leave in one of the news articles out there, but the $170 million given them would be hard to pass up eh

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy