HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Really? I teach geography! They have a good geography program here for a small school.
I went to BU from 85-89. Have a 3 yr BA. They just did a major refit of the Main Admin Building. Prior to that it was pretty run-down.

FYI back in 88 a group of students came from Ontario universities to complete a 2 yr teaching program. Most of them were from Toronto, Hamilton or Waterloo. They sure had a culture shock (especially the ones from Toronto) on the vastness of the prairies and that at night you could actually see stars. I also took a group of them on a visit to my brother's farm (at Killarney) in which they saw an actual live birth of a calf. Their eyes were as big as saucers. After that we took a run down to the Bucket (a pub in the middle of nowhere) in North Dakota, another eye opener for folks whose experience with the border staff are much more formal. As we drove through I called the US guard by his first name. As we came back with a couple of roadies the Canadian guard waved us through (he's a second cousin )
Ahhh life in small town Manitoba.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 10:02 PM
Dreamer

I see you caught my little blue vinyl baby ... not my proudest moment ... unless I was using irony on the developer?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 10:07 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I went to BU from 85-89. Have a 3 yr BA. They just did a major refit of the Main Admin Building. Prior to that it was pretty run-down.

FYI back in 88 a group of students came from Ontario universities to complete a 2 yr teaching program. Most of them were from Toronto, Hamilton or Waterloo. They sure had a culture shock (especially the ones from Toronto) on the vastness of the prairies and that at night you could actually see stars. I also took a group of them on a visit to my brother's farm (at Killarney) in which they saw an actual live birth of a calf. Their eyes were as big as saucers. After that we took a run down to the Bucket (a pub in the middle of nowhere) in North Dakota, another eye opener for folks whose experience with the border staff are much more formal. As we drove through I called the US guard by his first name. As we came back with a couple of roadies the Canadian guard waved us through (he's a second cousin )
Ahhh life in small town Manitoba.
I probably know you. I'm from Killarney.

I've taken people to the Bucket too.. Nothing like 'serve yourself' beer.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:06 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by c vist View Post
I see you caught my little blue vinyl baby ... not my proudest moment ... unless I was using irony on the developer?
ha...so we both have a blue baby in brandon....mine's the canad inns refrigerator....they actually asked me to reduce the window sizes by 1 inch on all sides to save money....i fought long and hard to keep the suspended canopy and then they hung those gawd awful flags off the end of it...dammit!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:25 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Brandon used to have a cute little street car system back in the day too..

Too bad it's long gone (1913 - 1932).

Brandon looks like a nice little city. I'll have to check it out one of these days.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:28 AM

Is the art gallery the old Eaton's building?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN
FYI back in 88 a group of students came from Ontario universities to complete a 2 yr teaching program. Most of them were from Toronto, Hamilton or Waterloo. They sure had a culture shock (especially the ones from Toronto) on the vastness of the prairies and that at night you could actually see stars. I also took a group of them on a visit to my brother's farm (at Killarney) in which they saw an actual live birth of a calf. Their eyes were as big as saucers. After that we took a run down to the Bucket (a pub in the middle of nowhere) in North Dakota, another eye opener for folks whose experience with the border staff are much more formal. As we drove through I called the US guard by his first name. As we came back with a couple of roadies the Canadian guard waved us through.
Haha, yeah I noticed how starry the nights are too. Another thing that's odd about the weather is how bloody sunny it is here, in Ontario the winters are cloudy for days on end. Plugging in the car at night is something totally new to me too. When I arrived I crossed the border at Highway 10 and it's just a little shack and I actually had to wait 5 minutes for a guard to come out....huge difference from the massive border crossings I'm used to in Windsor.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 5:46 AM
Movin' on up

It's great to see Brandon going through a significant boom at this point, and the same thing can be said for other Manitoba cities like Steinbach and Winkler/Morden. Keep up the good work and spread the fortune around the province please

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan