HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 12:06 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
thats an interesting find
'met a broad after a how down' well looks like 100+ years later the tradition still carries on in some places. thats pretty cool, that guy should incorporate it into the store.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 8:40 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post

For Rob (remembering his Starbucks piece) here is the announcement of a new tearoom at Portage and Main (SW corner), in the FP of April 11, 1914. By 1922 it is called the Argyle Café, according to the Henderson Directory.
That's interesting. I guess "branch stores" like Starbucks are nothing new at Portage and Main. A landmark at Portage and Main for past generations of Winnipeggers, Childs restaurant, was also contient-wide chain, if I'm correct.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 10:37 PM
Starring as himself

In celebration of Family/Riel Day, I scanned and labelled this early bird's eye view of Winnipeg (1881). I bought this a few years ago but forgot about it until just recently.

enlarged version

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 12:18 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
In celebration of Family/Riel Day, I scanned and labelled this early bird's eye view of Winnipeg (1881). I bought this a few years ago but forgot about it until just recently.

enlarged version
The funny thing is, that exact picture is hanging on the wall of the library in the Centennial building at West Kildonan Collegiate (which is going to be vacated soon to their new location on North Main).

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 3:42 AM
Starring as himself

Some subdivision ads from the summer of 1910. Interesting that distance from city hall and proximity to the streetcar were the measures of value. One can note a certain jaunty confidence in the ad for "Silver Heights View" (Whytewold Road, much of which is now part of the airport property).

Glenwood Crescent, "The Fort Rouge of North Winnipeg":

Bronx Park, "East Kildonan's Garden Spot":

Silver Heights View, Stop being such a wuss and buy NOW!!!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
That's interesting. I guess "branch stores" like Starbucks are nothing new at Portage and Main. A landmark at Portage and Main for past generations of Winnipeggers, Childs restaurant, was also contient-wide chain, if I'm correct.
I just assumed the restaurant was named after the building? Or perhaps vice versa?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 4:47 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I just assumed the restaurant was named after the building? Or perhaps vice versa?
The building was originally the McArthur Building. It came to be known as the Childs Building because of the restaurant.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 5:14 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

sure has not changed much other then the street cars stuff

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 5:22 AM
surely you agree with me

this is my favourite thread ever....i love those subdivision ads....thanks for posting all this stuff guys.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 5:46 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

interesting

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 10:37 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Some subdivision ads from the summer of 1910. Interesting that distance from city hall and proximity to the streetcar were the measures of value.
It's funny you mention this. For years i've been telling people to look no further than Wolseley to see the changing tastes of suburbanization over the last century.

In Wolseley, the areas closest to downtown (Westminister, Armstrong Point) are where you will see all the big homes. As you move furthur away from the core and the closer to Omands Creek the cheaper and smaller the houses become.

If that neighbourhood was built as a new subdivision today the big expensive homes would all be near Omands creek far away from the commercial centre, and the cheaper homes would be closer to downtown.

As you said, its interesting to see what characteristics made a home valuable 100 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 1:56 AM

I was walking around the Union Bank Tower on Saturday. What fabulous stonework. That's what I enjoy - the little bits and fragments of buildings.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 1:58 AM

Great group ! Some of you might know me from newwinnipeg or my flickr page - I recognize some of the nics. For 6 months or so I have been doing a "This day in Winnipeg History" thing. I have my own website now by hate the formatting so I will make changes but am sticking with it for now.

Feel free to check it out: christiancassidy.com I will post some of the things here as well !

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 3:35 AM

^^^Nice pics on Flickr. Welcome aboard.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 5:04 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Weird to see an illustration in a subdivision ad that places such an emphasis on dense urbanity--the smokestacks of Point Douglas and all. Even at that time, streetcar suburbs tried to sell an image of arcadia: parks, light and air, etc.

The text in that Silver Heights View, meanwhile, is just hilarious. "Don't be a baby and piss away this chance like you did when you didn't buy on Beverly Street a few years back. What's that? You crying? There's no crying in real estate."

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 5:45 AM
Density and complexity

ABC's of safer streets in Winnipeg, early 1920s. The Parking suggestions are the most interesting. Seems you could park almost anywhere.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 12:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hey mr christan mr p here

the union bank building is not stone work its tericata lol anyhow welcome to the land of skyscraper geeks

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
hey mr christan mr p here

the union bank building is not stone work its tericata lol anyhow welcome to the land of skyscraper geeks
Cheers thanks ! I've actually beena member for a couple of years but sort of forget about the place

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 11:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristian View Post
Cheers thanks ! I've actually beena member for a couple of years but sort of forget about the place

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 12:44 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Weird to see an illustration in a subdivision ad that places such an emphasis on dense urbanity--the smokestacks of Point Douglas and all. Even at that time, streetcar suburbs tried to sell an image of arcadia: parks, light and air, etc.

The text in that Silver Heights View, meanwhile, is just hilarious. "Don't be a baby and piss away this chance like you did when you didn't buy on Beverly Street a few years back. What's that? You crying? There's no crying in real estate."
I bet you could find the same sort of appeals being made for Calgary real estate now, or for Toronto condos.

I think the promoters of Bronx Park were trying to convince the working class people they were aiming for that the place wasn't too distant from where the jobs are.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan