HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 4:51 PM
Creative Accountant

Saskatchewan and Manitoba, Happiest Places in Canada after the East Coast

Cities that top the list:

1. Saint John

2. Quebec City

3. Charlottetown

4, 5. (tied) Moncton, N.B., Kitchener, Ont.

6. St. John's

7. Saskatoon

8. Regina

9. Winnipeg

10. Halifax

(Source: Canadian Institute of Advanced Research survey)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...c.html?ref=rss

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 5:05 PM
Still optimistic

Isn't your motto "the freindly province"?
Winnipeg definitivly deserves a place in the top ten!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 7:03 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

No wonder why people here are so cheerful and so "up there." Vancouver however, isn't.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 9:01 PM
Still optimistic

Ottawa should be on the list... (psychotic tone) WE ARE HAPPY!

Ottawa is like a hidden city; nobody comes to us because they think there is nothing but once the trans-Canada reaches the valley, you are in aw at the welcoming feel to the city streets and the simple, yet happy expression on everybody's face as they salute you in a polite sort of way.
We are the most underestimated city in Canada but what does it change if sombody in Alaska who has never, nor has the intention to come to Ottawa thinks we live in a hole? We live in a beautifull hole and we are proud of it!

I have no clue why I am writing this here but a sudden burst of inspiration made me think of writting this text. Sorry about the random appearance.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 9:35 PM

Funny how the areas of the country traditionally slower paced and less hustle/bustle are the happiest.

Guess money can't buy you happiness!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 1:14 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Funny how the areas of the country traditionally slower paced and less hustle/bustle are the happiest.

Guess money can't buy you happiness!
But it does allow you to choose your misery

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 1:02 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post
Winnipeg definitivly deserves a place in the top ten!
It's probably because most of Winnipeggers never left Winnipeg and can't compare with other places. However happiness is a state of mind, if they say so. My ancestors always said they were happier when they were poorer.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 3:55 PM
Starring as himself

The relationship between happiness and the "diversity" of one's city appears to be an interesting one.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 3:55 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
It's probably because most of Winnipeggers never left Winnipeg and can't compare with other places.
Perhaps, but I doubt it. Most Winnipeggers I know (including myself) are quite well traveled.

There are good places to visit and good places to live. I love to go to other places to visit and travel to, but honestly when it comes down to it - pound for pound Winnipeg stacks up extremely well in terms of access to urban and natural amenities and most importantly the affordability of said amenities.

Vancouver's a beautiful city. I love that place. But would I move there and trade a house in a mature urban area and a lake front cottage - for either a shoebox sized condo, a tiny house that I need tenants to rent out the basement, or a moderate sized house in some far flung suburb just to say "I live in Vancouver?"... not for me. But hey, knock yourself out if that's what floats your boat, I'll come visit you every couple of years to get my Vancouver fix.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 4:02 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Perhaps, but I doubt it. Most Winnipeggers I know (including myself) are quite well traveled.

There are good places to visit and good places to live. I love to go to other places to visit and travel to, but honestly when it comes down to it - pound for pound Winnipeg stacks up extremely well in terms of access to urban and natural amenities and most importantly the affordability of said amenities.

Vancouver's a beautiful city. I love that place. But would I move there and trade a house in a mature urban area and a lake front cottage - for either a shoebox sized condo, a tiny house that I need tenants to rent out the basement, or a moderate sized house in some far flung suburb just to say "I live in Vancouver?"... not for me. But hey, knock yourself out if that's what floats your boat, I'll come visit you every couple of years to get my Vancouver fix.
I think it's fairly simple, Vancouver costs more because it offers more. Ocean, Mountains, Vancouver Island, Seattle close by, a vibrant metropolis. Winnipeg costs less because has less to offer; so people can settle for it or aim for the stars, as Gail Asper would say. Most prefer to settle, and that's normal and acceptable.

-------------

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 5:16 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
I think it's fairly simple, Vancouver costs more because it offers more. Ocean, Mountains, Vancouver Island, Seattle close by, a vibrant metropolis. Winnipeg costs less because has less to offer; so people can settle for it or aim for the stars, as Gail Asper would say. Most prefer to settle, and that's normal and acceptable.
Great. It's close the mountains, Seattle, the island... funny thing about that is that I would be willing to bet that most people living in Vancouver have visited those places about as many times as I have.

Again for me it comes down to good place to live versus good place to visit.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 6:01 PM
Starring as himself

There is also an inverse relationship between happiness and the presence of rapid transit in a city.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 10:15 PM
working stiff

I am very curious to know how CIFA performed this survey. The CBC article does report CIFA's research is ongoing and probably won't reach publication for some time (more than a couple months?).

The top 10 cities are highly differentiated (e.g. population, location, geographically, culturally, economically to name a few), many attributes to assess, should be fun.

Further comprehensive studies are absolutely necessary to understand the continual evolution of societal influences and ultimately the desire to standardize our happiness in qualitative terms.

The research may produce definitive answers and result in more effective social management through revised prevention and treatment strategies for both large and small urban centers...I am sure strategies exist, we just don't have a full grasp of what the right combination of elements makes an effective 'whole' strategy.
Essentially, we need to define and design a systems map based on happiness...my contribution --> to more research!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 11:02 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Great. It's close the mountains, Seattle, the island... funny thing about that is that I would be willing to bet that most people living in Vancouver have visited those places about as many times as I have.

Again for me it comes down to good place to live versus good place to visit.
I've got a ton of friends and family living in the Vancouver area and its true that the only time they get to see these beautiful places is when friends and family come to visit. Otherwise, they are too busy with their double or triple jobs. Jobs they need in order to remain living in Vancouver.

A lot of them ask me (irritates me as well) when I'm going to settle in Vancouver. I respond by saying, politely, what makes you think I want to live in Vancouver?

They way I see it is like this. If you can't make it in Winnipeg, you can't make it anywhwere. That's a credit to Winnipeg and how easy it is to live comfortably and happily.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 11:24 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
There is also an inverse relationship between happiness and the presence of rapid transit in a city.
Or the relationship is based on the level (speed, cost, frequency, comfort) of rapid transit service relative to all movements within a city.

I think it may have more to do with accessibility of any transportation, rather than the existence of rapid transit.

The reason these cities are happy without rapid transit is because it is perceived as not necessary, and maybe it really isn't necessary (Saskatoon for sure, don't know about other cites ), and therefore the alternatives become more necessary --> biking, walking, access to private vehicles, buses, taxis, which I assume all of the listed cities have or utilize with ease and abundance relative to the layout of the city and its population.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 11:37 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
They way I see it is like this. If you can't make it in Winnipeg, you can't make it anywhwere. That's a credit to Winnipeg and how easy it is to live comfortably and happily.
yes, sure, wherever else it's under 0 for 6 months in a row and without car you can't go practically anywhere and downtown is so desolated?

The (few) people I see in bus and in the streets have everything but an happy face. Maybe because they are forced to use transit you may say.
Also my coworkers and stuff do not look happy either, discussions are often awkward and there isn't really this great feeling of happiness going on. It may be me or just the place or whatever, but when I think of Winnipeg I cannot think of happy people. Maybe because they are not as vocal and outgoing as I was used to, but that's it.

-------------

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 7:33 AM
Ignore these four words.

The onus is on the individual to find what makes them happy. If they hate their job, they should look for something else. If they hate the city they live in, shit, there is a whole world out there. Go find your happiness. Winnipeg may not be for everyone but the people who have stayed and made a go of it, I can say, are genuinely happy and are proud to be citizens of this city.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 7:41 AM
working stiff

Not only are Maritime cities the happiest, apparently they are the most polite too. Wow, Saskatoon and Ottawa really take the cake

Moncton, N.B., earns reputation of being most polite city
Last Updated: Sunday, December 30, 2007 | 11:58 PM ET
CBC News

Moncton, N.B., is the most polite city, according to a courtesy test of Canada's 15 largest cities conducted by Reader's Digest.

The magazine sent two undercover reporters across the country to carry out an informal survey that marked each city on whether people held the doors open for its journalists, whether salesclerks thanked them for purchases and whether people would pick up a dropped folder in busy locations.

Moncton earned 80 per cent with Calgary and Vancouver tying for second place with 77 per cent. Edmonton ranked third with 73 per cent.

"The Maritime cities generally did very well," said Cynthia Ann Shannon, who works with Reader's Digest in Montreal, which ranked fifth with 68 per cent.

Victoria, Charlottetown and St. John's, N.L., ranked fourth with 70 per cent. Halifax and Winnipeg came in sixth place with 67 per cent. Regina and Quebec City ranked seventh and eighth with 63 per cent and 62 per cent, respectively.

Toronto came in ninth with 60 per cent. Saskatoon and Ottawa scored the worst with 57 per cent and 50 per cent, respectively.

Source

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 2:17 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
The onus is on the individual to find what makes them happy. If they hate their job, they should look for something else. If they hate the city they live in, shit, there is a whole world out there. Go find your happiness. Winnipeg may not be for everyone but the people who have stayed and made a go of it, I can say, are genuinely happy and are proud to be citizens of this city.
I agree with you, I was just stating what I observed first hand. And sometimes people can't leave/find a new job, if it was that easy the problem of happiness would be solved for everyone...

-------------

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 8:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

somepeople hate taking transit and some people hate working can't pleaze everyone...
winninpeg has river taxis river cruises taxis we also have a drive you home drunk in your car service bus's bike trails foot trails the trees the architecture and history not to mention big sales winnipegers love sales.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan