HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 7:30 PM

^ Thanks. I didn't see any slow down in construction when I passed by last week either.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 3:50 PM

It appears that the architect of record was changed several months ago for undisclosed reasons and that the building will continue to rise as planned. In other words the gossip is a little behind the times but things are on schedule and the cranes are due to arrive.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...ce=d-more-news

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:08 PM

Good news...I'm glad that this project is going ahead. It's nice to see growing density in Bro-Ass. Funny that for all we've been hearing about Waterfront Drive in recent years, it's Assiniboine Avenue that's getting the highrises.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

waterfront has a hieght restriction

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
It appears that the architect of record was changed several months ago for undisclosed reasons and that the building will continue to rise as planned. In other words the gossip is a little behind the times but things are on schedule and the cranes are due to arrive.

I wouldn't believe everything you read. I've yet to hear anybody from Sandhu tell the truth about this project at any point and I don't doubt the line of questioning from Murray McNeill comes straight out of this forum.

Sandhu is actively seeking purchasers for their holdings at the moment in a bid to raise cash. I've had several clients approached as potential purchasers but they're asking too much from the numbers I've seen. I'll believe this project is a go when it's finally going.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
waterfrongt has a hieght restriction
No project other than Excelsior Condos has built even up to that level, which is 8 storeys. That tells you something.

The one highrise plan near Waterfront died pretty quickly.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post

Yeah, pretty much the case, no slow down on the site as of the end of this week(thur)
Parkade should rise above grade within a few weeks.

Quote:
The foundation is complete, the grade-beam work is complete, the main-floor mechanical areas and storage areas are complete, and we have poured part of the main-floor parkade slab"

Once the concrete slab for the parkade slab is completed, construction crews can then start putting up the walls.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Yeah, pretty much the case, no slow down on the site as of the end of this week(thur)
Parkade should rise above grade within a few weeks.
Planned when, last week?

They're three years behind schedule - there is no plan.

Murray McNeill read this forum, saw there was trouble, and called the developer. What's Sandhu going to say? We're in trouble, pull your deposits? Let's try to keep a critical eye on things.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 7:57 PM

The article is correct and construction continues as quoted.

"The foundation is complete, the grade-beam work is complete, the main-floor mechanical areas and storage areas are complete, and we have poured part of the main-floor parkade slab".

Whether it grounds to a halt on Monday would be speculation on my part.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 8:01 PM

Quote:

"The foundation is complete, the grade-beam work is complete, the main-floor mechanical areas and storage areas are complete, and we have poured part of the main-floor parkade slab".

The point is to question proven liars in light of information people within the industry know. It's irrelevant how much concrete has been poured into the ground.

How many articles have been published already that include what we now know is provably false information?

You have a weird fetish for what you perceive as authority. Somebody could literally tell you anything and you would take it at face value which is a strange quality as an adult.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 4:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Has anyone ever made a claim you don't believe?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 5:41 AM
surely you agree with me

I heard that mistecture was hired to do contract administration (construction supervision) only. The architects have changed several times on this project I believe....or changed and changed back.

Its definitely not what it is appears. I tend to believe Simplicity's story over the WFP.

Hopefully they figure something out....it always seemed too good to be true....just like the 'tallest tower between toronto and calgary' (except edmonton)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the 'tallest tower between toronto and calgary' (except edmonton)
That is the dumbest, lamest sounding marketing claim a company could make. Wow, Fortress, you mean it's taller than all the other towers in Thunder Bay and Regina?

So what happens if/when construction grinds to a halt on dCondo? There will just be a foundation and hole in the ground for years to come? That would be weird.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirvan View Post
Has anyone ever made a claim you don't believe?
Daily, year after year after year. After investigating and taking countless statements from individuals for alleged criminal code violations, there were 100's of times I didn't believe the account being given. Tough decisions to finally make, whether to pursue charges or not.

In regards to the quote, use the eye test and drive by the build site. The quote was correct.

Again, what happens next week, I couldn't tell you.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Daily, year after year after year. After investigating and taking countless statements from individuals for alleged criminal code violations, there were 100's of times I didn't believe the account being given. Tough decisions to finally make, whether to pursue charges or not.

In regards to the quote, use the eye test and drive by the build site. The quote was correct.

Fantastic, but you aren't getting off that easy. Picking and choosing one claim from the many that Sandhu made in that article is showing a huge amount of cognitive bias. Let me know if you believe the other nonsense Sandhu claimed in that very article-

1) "occupancy in the summer or fall of 2016"- this is pretty much impossible for a building that size. Other buildings opening 2016 such as 300 Assiniboine and Glass House are much further ahead.

2) "that [pre-sales] took longer than anticipated"- What is more likely, an experienced and qualified developer didn't know how long pre-sales would take, or that they were simply lying to convince people to put money on the table?

3) delays "issues regarding (building) permits and city regulations"- Again, do you believe that an experienced and qualified developer doesn't know how long it takes to to the city's paperwork?

4) that he "couldn't elaborate" on why they keep changing architects. Again, what is more likely, that he can't open his mouth and answer the question or that he won't because it reflects badly on him?

I assume your response will be that you only comment on claims based on what you can see driving by. If that's true, that's unfortunate for you as the ability to use critical thinking and analyze claims about the future is hugely instrumental to the planning process, and without the ability to plan effectively your life and career certainly won't be the same.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:

So if you have no insight into what's happening next and you're working on the assumption that we can all read, what is the merit in the regurgitation of the article? What value is this adding?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 5:19 PM

Questionable assertions aside, I have to admit I am willing to give Sandhu at least some benefit of the doubt given that they have a small but real track record of getting projects off the ground here, even one that seemed very unlikely when it was first announced (the MURB on Sherbrook, can't remember the name). On that basis alone I'd put them a notch or two above the sketchy pie in the sky dream merchants.

Hope springs eternal, I guess.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Questionable assertions aside, I have to admit I am willing to give Sandhu at least some benefit of the doubt given that they have a small but real track record of getting projects off the ground here, even one that seemed very unlikely when it was first announced (the MURB on Sherbrook, can't remember the name). On that basis alone I'd put them a notch or two above the sketchy pie in the sky dream merchants.

Inside the business Sandhu's reputation is mostly of ineptitude and largely that Karampaul is lucky his father came first. A lot of money goes a long way towards glossing over critical mistakes. At one point on D Condo a lawyer I work with told me Sandhu was actively trying to buy presale units back from his clients because they sold them at a loss.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Absolutely agree. Sandhu is definitely a developer with a sincere intent to develop, unlike say Fortress which is just a scam, so I'll give them that. I definitely am rooting for them to overcome their ineptitude and succeed. The point I was making was not that Sandhu is terrible but that you need to interpret what they say with critical thinking skills rather than just writing "it's in the newspaper so it must be true!!!" everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 8:21 PM
Administrator

This thread is almost fun.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan