HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I think the elevators will be where the kiosk that sold dinner pastries was located. It's the one beside the shoe repair shop. That way the elevator can access the parking levels.
Makes sense as the shoe repair shop is relocating next to the dry cleaners.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:13 AM

Quote:
I think the elevators will be where the kiosk that sold dinner pastries was located. It's the one beside the shoe repair shop. That way the elevator can access the parking levels.
Considering that 360's tower elevators don't connect to the parkade (except 1, for service) and you need to exit in the 360 lobby, go down to the mall and switch elevators to get to the parkade – I don't know if this would really be a priority for them. It could actually be better for the apartment security to not have a direct connection to a public parkade?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:41 PM

Any word on the Scotiabank atrium at P&M?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:16 PM

Thinking about the elevators. How do you secure the building and still have access to Winnipeg Square. There is no security that prevents you from entering 360 Main. Best they have is to question you if you try entering 360 Main during closed hours. WS and the garage are wide open and you can sleep there if you want or need to escape the weather.

You are probably correct that the elevators might be housed in the cubby holes but not be accessed from the parkade or SW itself. For security they might want to have access to WS through the current parkade elevators. If you live in the building you won't want to walk that far so you would take the emergency stairs down into WS once the elevator ride ends.

How will they balance security and ease of access remains to be seen.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Thinking about the elevators. How do you secure the building and still have access to Winnipeg Square. There is no security that prevents you from entering 360 Main. Best they have is to question you if you try entering 360 Main during closed hours. WS and the garage are wide open and you can sleep there if you want or need to escape the weather.

You are probably correct that the elevators might be housed in the cubby holes but not be accessed from the parkade or SW itself. For security they might want to have access to WS through the current parkade elevators. If you live in the building you won't want to walk that far so you would take the emergency stairs down into WS once the elevator ride ends.

How will they balance security and ease of access remains to be seen.
Most office buildings have card access systems for accessing the upper floors after hours. But you are correct in that it may not prevent "tailgating access" if someone gets in with a pass holder.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:29 PM

^ I don't think securing the elevators would be that hard...just put a glass wall around the elevator bank that requires you to swipe for entry.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:23 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Thinking about the elevators. How do you secure the building and still have access to Winnipeg Square.
And does it matter, when half the suites will be used for AirBnB, Executive Suites Winnipeg, Premiere Suites and other short-term rentals.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:34 PM

I understand and agree that frc wants out of the parkade at north portage.

I would just point out that FRC isn't really a not for profit corporation; it is a shareholder corporation. it acts like a not for profit by unanimous agreement of the shareholders, but that theoretically could change. it isn't member-driven like the y for example. centreventure I believe is an agency of the city and elected officials are pretty hands on with that one at the strategic level at least.

I can give you an example where a shareholder actually reversed an frc initiative because it didn't pass the federal public interest test, and that was the proposed transfer of land under the childrens museum into a specialized trust that would permit the museum to avoid paying municipal taxes. the feds stopped that in its tracks and another way was found to skin the cat. anyways sorry for getting pedantic on this arcane stuff..

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I understand and agree that frc wants out of the parkade at north portage.

I would just point out that FRC isn't really a not for profit corporation; it is a shareholder corporation. it acts like a not for profit by unanimous agreement of the shareholders, but that theoretically could change. it isn't member-driven like the y for example. centreventure I believe is an agency of the city and elected officials are pretty hands on with that one at the strategic level at least.

I can give you an example where a shareholder actually reversed an frc initiative because it didn't pass the federal public interest test, and that was the proposed transfer of land under the childrens museum into a specialized trust that would permit the museum to avoid paying municipal taxes. the feds stopped that in its tracks and another way was found to skin the cat. anyways sorry for getting pedantic on this arcane stuff..
Think you put this in the wrong thread.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:40 PM

On the elevator access. It's really up to the users to not let people in. Most buildings set up this way have swipe card scanners in the elevator. So if someone gets in the elevator with you and doesn't have a swipe card. don't swipe your card either.

If you're coming in after hours, or to a floor with card access only, you NEVER NEVER EVER let anyone in if you don't know them. Ever. No matter how pissed off they get.

A vestibule or locked door would also help solve this issue.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 7:15 PM

^That's extremely idealistic and unrealistic for a lot of people.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Think you put this in the wrong thread.
oops.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 8:45 PM

No matter what set-up you have, you'll always have that situation.

If there was a locked door separating the mall from the elevators, you still have that issue of letting people in. Its just moved from the elevator the other door. Much like letting someone in the front door of an office building after hours. You don't do that unless you know them. My two cents.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 12:29 AM
BANNED

Or they just have two sets of elevators. One goes from the parkade to the mall to the podium. From there you get off and transfer to the residential ones.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 5:57 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
No matter what set-up you have, you'll always have that situation.

If there was a locked door separating the mall from the elevators, you still have that issue of letting people in. Its just moved from the elevator the other door. Much like letting someone in the front door of an office building after hours. You don't do that unless you know them. My two cents.
We have had turnstiles in the elevator lobby at my office building for several years. They have virtually eliminated the problems formerly caused by people getting in who weren't supposed to.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 12:43 PM

^ Manitoba Hydro Place has had a similar setup right from day one. I'm sure Artis will figure something out.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Just a guess, but I think that's likely where the connections (elevator, etc) from the mall to the new tower will be.
Quote:
There already is an existing core that stretches down to the parkade. It rises up beside the Vietnamese places in the food court
Quote:
Considering that 360's tower elevators don't connect to the parkade (except 1, for service) and you need to exit in the 360 lobby, go down to the mall and switch elevators to get to the parkade – I don't know if this would really be a priority for them. It could actually be better for the apartment security to not have a direct connection to a public parkade?
Fluidity of traffic and connectivity are everything these days, they'll definitely be connecting directly to the parkade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't think securing the elevators would be that hard...just put a glass wall around the elevator bank that requires you to swipe for entry.
It's a unique situation, but yes, the apartment lobby would also be walled/glazed off. People would still need to use that floor to access a future restaurant at the main level, but that's why you have actual security guards at the desks to take care of drifters.

There's actually no real logistical incentive for drifters to use those elevators when the skywalk escalators to the southwest, a new escalator in the middle of the concourse between the towers, and the existing parkade elevator all are more convenient if you're just passing through

The rest is just scan cards, where only residents have access to their specific floor and amenity floors. This is normal everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 2:34 AM

My biggest hope for this project is an upgrade for the obscenely narrow stairs and 1-way escalator from Winnipeg Square to the Graham Skywalk.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:21 AM
surely you agree with me

I heard today as soon as the snow goes away they will begin the exterior preparation work. Also heard a rumour that Good Life is looking to join the exodus from 201 and move into this project. Makes sense I guess.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

201 is dieing weird

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan