HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Kind of crazy that Colony Square may soon be the anchor destination location of Midtown. This could be the type of development that keeps residents in Midtown and lures others from nearby neighborhoods to visit instead of going elsewhere (West Midtown, O42, L5P, Inman Park, Buckhead, etc.) for entertainment. Best of all is that if car traffic becomes an issue, people can take MARTA to get here.

Here's hoping there's some sort of fresh market in the development. And I hope it isn't too long before we see more developments rise in the area (Lennar, Yoo, Opus, 1105 West Peachtree, and while it may be a long shot with 1105 West Peachtree going on, I'd really love to see something happen to 1125 Peachtree).
There have been rumors that Colony Square may get an Eataly, which is both a restaurant and an upscale grocer.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
There have been rumors that Colony Square may get an Eataly, which is both a restaurant and an upscale grocer.
I'm hoping so. For all intents and purposes, I want this area to take off. As much development that's been going on in Midtown, seems like the more interesting entertainment and leisure activities have been in the surrounding neighborhoods, recently. I'd like for Midtown to grow back into the place people want to visit, rather than westside provisions district, Inman Park, L5P, EAV, Buckhead, Ponce City Market, Buford Highway, etc. Heck, even Atlantic Station. Midtown has a lot, I just wouldn't say it's been the most interesting.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
I'm hoping so. For all intents and purposes, I want this area to take off. As much development that's been going on in Midtown, seems like the more interesting entertainment and leisure activities have been in the surrounding neighborhoods, recently. I'd like for Midtown to grow back into the place people want to visit, rather than westside provisions district, Inman Park, L5P, EAV, Buckhead, Ponce City Market, Buford Highway, etc. Heck, even Atlantic Station. Midtown has a lot, I just wouldn't say it's been the most interesting.
It's easily been the most rapidly urbanizing neighborhood in the city this decade, but you're right...it's missing something....entertainment...something to bring people to the neighborhood other than restaurants.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
Like any big retail development, they are pursuing sought after retail tenants such as Eataly and Apple. Very often renderings will illustrate where those tenants would go, thus the rumors. Remember The Battery Apple and Whole Foods renderings?

In this case, Mark Toro has specifically mentioned that they have had conversations with Eataly but said that they have not yet decided to open in Atlanta and obviously no commitment to Colony Square.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Ooooo I understand what you're saying now. Would be interesting to see that plot redeveloped. Would hope if it is, that we see just as many retail options for the new development.
Noticed a new sign (or the same former sign?) have been installed. May have just been utility work, or time for a new sign.

Last edited by sbrptree; Jan 12, 2017 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
Noticed a new sign (or the same former sign?) have been installed. May have just been utility work, or time for a new sign.
Yep looks like it was upgraded to digital signs

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Yep looks like it was upgraded to digital signs
I don't expect anything to happen on that site for quite awhile since prospective developers would likely have to buy that property and the one Bulldogs sits on.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
It's easily been the most rapidly urbanizing neighborhood in the city this decade, but you're right...it's missing something....entertainment...something to bring people to the neighborhood other than restaurants.
Midtown does have the Fox Theater, Laughing Skull, High Museum of Art and Alliance Theater, which all have great events, concerts, etc. I think what's needed is just an expansion of areas that have a Crescent Ave. type vibe. Little pubs, uniquely local restaurants, food halls, piano/wine/martini bars, and boutique (not necessarily expensive) shops, with little to no dead space separating them all so they're easy to get to on foot from anywhere in the core of the district.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:16 PM

Don't forget Piedmont Park and the Botanical Garden. Both huge draws to Midtown.

The dead space between 10th and 11th on Peachtree with the Fed on one side and Dew-nothing on the other is unfortunate.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:20 PM
BANNED

State Farm Perimeter

Phase 2 to break ground in February. It will include two buildings the size of the first.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
Don't forget Piedmont Park and the Botanical Garden. Both huge draws to Midtown.

The dead space between 10th and 11th on Peachtree with the Fed on one side and Dew-nothing on the other is unfortunate.
The Fed is a free public Museum, never checked it out tho.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:31 PM
Kev K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Midtown does have the Fox Theater, Laughing Skull, High Museum of Art and Alliance Theater, which all have great events, concerts, etc. I think what's needed is just an expansion of areas that have a Crescent Ave. type vibe. Little pubs, uniquely local restaurants, food halls, piano/wine/martini bars, and boutique (not necessarily expensive) shops, with little to no dead space separating them all so they're easy to get to on foot from anywhere in the core of the district.
Plus:
  • Piedmont Park - I agree this is the one thing on the list for hanging out in an "unprogrammed" fashion
  • Atlanta Botanical Garden
  • Federal Reserve Museum (Go visit! Its actually kind of cool)
  • Scad Show - better programming under SCAD than under Alliance Theatre
  • Center Stage
  • Whole World Improv
  • Center for Puppetry Arts
  • MODA
  • Shakespeare Tavern

If you are looking for a relaxing day hanging out in a trendy neighborhood with nothing specific planned as one would do in, for example, Inman Park; Im not sure Midtown will ever be able to get all of the way there. Rents seem too high to allow quaint/unique/boutique businesses to thrive.

I had/have hopes that the leasable spaces off of Peachtree & W Peachtree would begin to fill up with these sort of businesses, but after a DECADE of the following being empty, one starts to lose hope.

Picture is 12th & Midtown on Juniper street that has never had a tenant.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:40 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
The Fed is a free public Museum, never checked it out tho.
What is the construction on the side of the building all about? Adding retail I hope...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBOYKEV View Post
Plus:
  • Piedmont Park - I agree this is the one thing on the list for hanging out in an "unprogrammed" fashion
  • Center Stage
  • Whole World Improv
  • MODA
  • Shakespeare Tavern

If you are looking for a relaxing day hanging out in a trendy neighborhood with nothing specific planned as one would do in, for example, Inman Park; Im not sure Midtown will ever be able to get all of the way there. Rents seem too high to allow quaint/unique/boutique businesses to thrive.

I had/have hopes that the leasable spaces off of Peachtree & W Peachtree would begin to fill up with these sort of businesses, but after a DECADE of the following being empty, one starts to lose hope.

It's only been 7-8 years (including the recession) and it's had ALOT of new retail to compete with among the other new 12th and Midtown developments with more foot traffic. Not apples-to-apples, but Viewpoint is JUST now filled all of it's retail (including along Juniper). it needs more activity in that area to create more of a critical mass in a small area imo

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:

This will change once Colony Square is complete - GUARANTEED!

Question - does the COA offer grants/tax abatements to retail establishments? If they don't, they should because it would significantly entice retailers who would not otherwise consider Midtown or Downtown.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Plus:
  • Center Stage
  • Whole World Improv
  • MODA
  • Shakespeare Tavern

I agree. I think it's absolutely absurd the amount of empty space on Peachtree and Juniper between 11th and 12th streets. Even if they have long-term goals of getting very high rents with a specific kind of tenant, letting much of this just sit completely empty for going on 7 years is just sad for Midtown residents and visitors. Such a waste.

I know we've had this debate on here a lot, but something similar to the things under Metropolis and Viewpoint would suffice. SOMETHING.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
I agree. I think it's absolutely absurd the amount of empty space on Peachtree and Juniper between 11th and 12th streets. Even if they have long-term goals of getting very high rents with a specific kind of tenant, letting much of this just sit completely empty for going on 7 years is just sad for Midtown residents and visitors. Such a waste.

I know we've had this debate on here a lot, but something similar to the things under Metropolis and Viewpoint would suffice. SOMETHING.
Don't limit it to just retail. I am sure the folks in Midtown would appreciate having a doctor/medical or dentist office or even co-share office space. A Total Wine would kill it there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Don't limit it to just retail. I am sure the folks in Midtown would appreciate having a doctor/medical or dentist office or even co-share office space. A Total Wine would kill it there.
Well Northside Medical Center is under construction and there's a dentist office right next to The Vortex.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Well Northside Medical Center is under construction and there's a dentist office right next to The Vortex.
Northside is a hospital not a doctor's office (ex: GP, OGYN, Chiropractor...etc). Also, 15K new residents need more than 1 dentist office.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Northside is a hospital not a doctor's office (ex: GP, OGYN, Chiropractor...etc). Also, 15K new residents need more than 1 dentist office.
I believe that Northside is a medical office building(?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations