HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Now you quoting my comment makes no sense.
I was doing it to show that I edited my post after you quoted it.

So people wouldn't think you agreed with the stuff i tagged on.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Further evidence that shows I am not full of shit when I say that people are being manipulated into what they *should* care about by the Ellen de Genereses of the world, and Jon Stewart and John Oliver-type news shows. (Among other things.)

Estimated crowds in foreign cities for anti-Trump protests over the weekend:

London, UK: 100,000
Toronto, Canada: 60,000

Paris, France: 7,000
Montreal, Canada: 2,000
I wasn't even aware there were anti-Trump protests here...

It makes sense to pay attention to our neighbor and biggest partner, but I would draw the line before "manifesting in our streets for/against foreign governments". Doing that against the Charest Liberals or Harper, then okay, at least I can see some point in that...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I didn't say they were, I just said they were Indian, and India is more culturally and ethnically homogenous than the United States.
Not even by a margin.

In american you have american and you have immigrants.

Video Link

In america you have poor american and you have rich FULL STOP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
And Star Wars is not "rural American". It was popular straight across the country upon release and quickly became a global phenomenon.

Anyway, this is a silly discussion.
Its a film written by a country boy.

The entire series is based on rural back drops.

It's about a farm boy who joins the army.

The world is in fact so small he almost tries to sleep with his sister.

The fact that it is a global phenom is irrelevant the point is it's an extension of the rural experience.

Its pretty much the polar opposite of star trek which is intensely cosmopolitan at almost every angle. (black, asian, Jewish(with 2 actors that were alive during the actual holocaust), canadian, Soviet)

Exploring all the diverse cultures of the galaxy.

Last edited by Stryker; Jan 26, 2017 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

It makes sense to pay attention to our neighbor and biggest partner, but I would draw the line before "manifesting in our streets for/against foreign governments". Doing that against the Charest Liberals or Harper, then okay, at least I can see some point in that...
Going by those numbers its just as easy to say they are anti american protests.

Judging by the comments around here that is equally as logical to say.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Maybe they should have tried to get on Oprah or something.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.2956478

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Going by those numbers its just as easy to say they are anti american protests.

Judging by the comments around here that is equally as logical to say.
Anti-American protests in foreign countries are totally legitimate if we're talking about real, extra-territorial military action like Bush's invasion of Iraq.

But Trump hasn't even done anything yet, and the issues people abroad were protesting were mostly internal to the U.S.

I do totally get that 500,000 Americans would march in DC against Trump.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Maybe they should have tried to get on Oprah or something.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.2956478
This is when I point out they are putting a black women on the 20 dollar bill not a native canadian.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:14 PM
Still optimistic

I originally thought the march was anti-Trump. And though it was definitely brought about by Trump, something really interesting I kept hearing again and again from people who had been to the Ottawa rally was that it wasn't about being against a Trump administration. Instead, it was a sense that the gains which women (and other social minorities, depending on who you ask) have made in many western countries are under threat, as highlighted by much of Trump's discourse.

And to that end, I think that such protests are relevant internationally as a demonstration that such a discourse is not desired. Especially in the context of the CPC leadership race, my personal view is that it's a good thing to underline.

Of course, this is very anecdotal, but listening to the Current the other day, they had some organizers who were bringing up similar reasons; although Trump is certainly the major catalyst, the marches are not about him, but rather about not taking social gains for granted. I know that for me personally, the election has made me reflect on the things I value; Even in the Harper years, I took the idea of steady gains in things like inclusion, multiculturalism, and progress for granted, but I now see that these things aren't automatic or eternal. And if no one ever voices any support for them, someone might assume that they can just be done away with.

I didn't participate in the marches, but I now keep a keen eye out for ways of making sure that I stand up for the things I value about Canada. Not to stick it to Trump - I'm certain he does not care about what Canada thinks - but rather to send a message of support to those upholding those values and a show of force to the Trump-wannabes of the Canadian political scene.

Last edited by Aylmer; Jan 26, 2017 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:

I like to imagine Donald Trump waking in the morning. His servant gives him a coffee. Trump waves his undersized hand and another servant turns on the TV. A protester in a pink hat is bouncing up and down with a "hands off my pussy" sign.

Trump stops and thinks about everything he has done with his life. A single tear streams down his face. He immediately resigns.

And then Michael Pence becomes president and he is just as bad. Oh well.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:

Well protesting against US politics is nothing new. Here is a man that now holds the most power on the planet. One man who's decisions reach far beyond the U.S border. It makes total sense that people should want to be heard far and wide. It's also a show of support the the slim majority that didn't vote for this train wreck.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 6:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Well protesting against US politics is nothing new. Here is a man that now holds the most power on the planet. One man who's decisions reach far beyond the U.S border. It makes total sense that people should want to be heard far and wide. It's also a show of support the the slim majority that didn't vote for this train wreck.
He doesn't seem to care much about people in other countries though, and isn't very accountable to them. If anything Trump is more isolationist than Hillary Clinton would have been.

I think people have an exaggerated sense of how powerful the US is around the world in 2017. Yes, they have nuclear weapons, but so do a bunch of other countries. Are they really masters of everything if they can't competently control Afghanistan, Iraq, or Vietnam after a decade or more of involvement?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
The entire movie revolved around lop sided narrative. Where some kid is a better jedi than the villain, a better soldier than the actual soldier, a better pilot of the falcon than han, a better engineer than anyone. There is literally a ton of analysis that show the movie heavily borrowed from a fictional accounts of joan of arc. Which itself is a completely fictitious revisionism of history.
Probably just me but, I think it's about a force-gifted young woman derailing evil.

"No really this is as complex as it gets, sometimes a cigar is a cigar, sometimes it's just a door jam."

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
He doesn't seem to care much about people in other countries though, and isn't very accountable to them. If anything Trump is more isolationist than Hillary Clinton would have been.

I think people have an exaggerated sense of how powerful the US is around the world in 2017. Yes, they have nuclear weapons, but so do a bunch of other countries. Are they really masters of everything if they can't competently control Afghanistan, Iraq, or Vietnam after a decade or more of involvement?
Clinton was isolationist? Are you kidding?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I originally thought the march was anti-Trump. And though it was definitely brought about by Trump, something really interesting I kept hearing again and again from people who had been to the Ottawa rally was that it wasn't about being against a Trump administration. Instead, it was a sense that the gains which women (and other social minorities, depending on who you ask) have made in many western countries are under threat, as highlighted by much of Trump's discourse.

And to that end, I think that such protests are relevant internationally as a demonstration that such a discourse is not desired. Especially in the context of the CPC leadership race, my personal view is that it's a good thing to underline.
I wonder if you'd put marches against Marine Le Pen in the same category?

She's strongly pro-women/anti-veil/anti-"barbaric-practices"...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I wonder if you'd put marches against Marine Le Pen in the same category?

She's strongly pro-women/anti-veil/anti-"barbaric-practices"...
It doesn't matter.

You can have gay republicans complaining that there was a cover up of the biggest slaughter of gay people in human history by a muslim and people won't bat an eyelash.

You can have a jewish women being hand picked to be the future of the american right.

Hispanics voting for trump.

etc etc.

All the alt right have been taking their lead from the nazi's for 70 years without any discontunities.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada