HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:48 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
Hahah, that's great.

Part of my problem is maintenance, and the fact that I drive all over the goddamned midwest for work and spend tons of time on the road and in drive throughs to get gyros instead of riding my bike to work and college like I once did. That's the price I pay for working in the environmental business, ugh.
kind of ironic that you may? be in the business of helping or preserving our environment, yet your physical health is suffering because of your job.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:52 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
kind of ironic that you may? be in the business of helping or preserving our environment, yet your physical health is suffering because of your job.
Not to mention all the fossil fuels burned driving and drilling and digging and the enormous amount of one time use sampling products. It's all pretty silly.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 11:20 PM
Bah!

I've never had a job where I have been able to sit for long periods of time. Always on my feet, alway moving can be a blessing by keeping my weight and heart in check but a curse for EVERY other part of my body.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 12:12 AM
Always A Classic

^ Lucky you! I've sat on my ass since my second year of college. If I don't go to the gym the only exercise I get is walking from the car to the elevator (It's not practical to walk up more than 30 floors) or walking to get lunch if I don't bring it or go to the cafeteria downstairs.

And BTW, where is LMich?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 12:46 AM
Bah!

^Now that you mention it he has been absent lately.

And now, more wondrously good news from the land of rockyi.....As I got home from work yesterday the head of my condo association and two building contractors met me at my door. Well, over the last few years we've been having leaking issues in my building (water slipping through the capstones on top of the building and running down through the walls) and while they were working on the problem up on the roof they discovered the iron I-beam at the top of my section of the building was completely rusted through in places and has to be replaced meaning they have to come into my livingroom and set up scaffolding to support my ceiling in case of....well, this sounds like it's going to be a very tricky operation. One of the contractors said this is a difficult situation, a best case scenario is they get the job done, remove their scaffolding and be gone. Next worse could be losing some plaster that I repared only a couple years ago. Worst case, a big chunk of the 4 story front wall falls down.......Thank you Jesus.

Fuck this living in an old building loaded with character for the ambiance and shit, eveything is falling apart. I need to get into someplace fairly new.

Also, my co-worker who I just trained in November is moving to Kansas City so now I get to train someone all over again....Thanks again Jesus!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:10 AM

Alright time out on the god damn Portland threads. Yeah it's fucking awesome and full of people who want to save the world and shit.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 8:02 PM
Uncle Grandpa

Mark is your building listed on the National Registry? I would hope the people doing the work are "experts" and nothing bad happens.

http://www.nationalregisterofhistori...com/state.html

I don't envy your situation one bit.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 3:53 AM
Bah!

Yep it's been on the registry since around '90 or '91.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 4:57 PM
Bah!

I learned today that they actually have to take out my livingroom windows so everything will be exposed for a few days. They promise to cover any exposed openings with sheets of visqueen. I'll probably have to deal with the sound of a flapping plastic through that time.

I hate my life.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 1:37 AM
Always A Classic

^ If that's the case then you should probably spend those windowless nights in a rocking chair with a shotgun - just in case some criminal get any ideas!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:56 PM

Most of the time people come creepin' during the day, the "professional" burglers who look at it like a "profession." You up a few floors, rockyi?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 1:49 AM
Bah!

4th floor walkup.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Hahah, that's great.

Part of my problem is maintenance, and the fact that I drive all over the goddamned midwest for work and spend tons of time on the road and in drive throughs to get gyros instead of riding my bike to work and college like I once did. That's the price I pay for working in the environmental business, ugh.
For sure. I'd be huge it it weren't for the fact that I walk / bike /skateboard to and from work and then do the same around lunch. I eat absolutely terrible. I get my balance of vegetables and fruit, but I eat out all the time and never prepare a meal at home. I'm 5'11 and have kept around 180 lb for years now in Chicago. My last job back in Michigan I was commuting to work and sitting around all day, and I'd gain weight just after several days of eating out. So I definitely believe location of employment and commuting behavior has at least 50% to do with maintaining weight.

My office is moving down the block and it's going to have a gym, so I'll be making good use of that in the mornings.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:42 PM
E pluribus unum

So one of Flagstaff's mayoral candidates advocates piping in water from the Midwest to alleviate our water issues.

I just decided I'll be voting for his rival, who advocates finding a more local solution to our problem, but is also paranoid Phoenix will steal our water supply a la Los Angeles stealing water from Northern California

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
So one of Flagstaff's mayoral candidates advocates piping in water from the Midwest to alleviate our water issues.

I just decided I'll be voting for his rival, who advocates finding a more local solution to our problem, but is also paranoid Phoenix will steal our water supply a la Los Angeles stealing water from Northern California
Good grief, Missouri River or Mississippi River? I know that the Great Lakes region is paranoid about this but all the quasi-realistic plans I've seen involve a straw going into the chocolate milkshake of the Mississippi. That's for Texas, though, not all the way to AZ.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:01 PM
Old Fart Forumer

When you have your cable TV go on the fritz you get mad.

When you get mad you yell at the neighborhood kids out your window.

When the kids give you the finger you slam your window shut.

When you slam your window shut you loosen the capstones on top of your building.

When the capstones loosen and the roof eventually leaks water into your 4th floor apartment you need major repairs.

When the repairs require the removal of your windows the neighborhood kids throw all the dumpster trash into your apartment.

Don't let your apartment get filled with trash, get Direct TV.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 5:18 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Good grief, Missouri River or Mississippi River? I know that the Great Lakes region is paranoid about this but all the quasi-realistic plans I've seen involve a straw going into the chocolate milkshake of the Mississippi. That's for Texas, though, not all the way to AZ.
I'm not sure. I think he was talking about some coalition of western cities piping in water from the Great Lakes, which is a stupid idea any way you look at it.

Long story short, I dislike both candidates so I'm voting for the one I think will screw up the least

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I'm not sure. I think he was talking about some coalition of western cities piping in water from the Great Lakes, which is a stupid idea any way you look at it.

Long story short, I dislike both candidates so I'm voting for the one I think will screw up the least
I don't know what the patchwork of water laws are concerning Lake Michigan, but I remember reading an article in the Traverse City alterno-rag something to the effect of that the Great Lakes states were preparing to defend against that exact thing.

Guess the Mississippi isn't good enough for you westerners...

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 9:11 PM
E pluribus unum

Personally, I'd rather we figure out a way to siphon desalinated water from California

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:25 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
When you have your cable TV go on the fritz you get mad.

When you get mad you yell at the neighborhood kids out your window.

When the kids give you the finger you slam your window shut.

When you slam your window shut you loosen the capstones on top of your building.

When the capstones loosen and the roof eventually leaks water into your 4th floor apartment you need major repairs.

When the repairs require the removal of your windows the neighborhood kids throw all the dumpster trash into your apartment.

Don't let your apartment get filled with trash, get Direct TV.

I thought satellite TV went out more frequently than cable?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest