HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:08 AM

I guess the smaller spaces are pretty much obsolete. The only thing left to do is keep adding Starbucks until they're all filled up.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:17 AM
Karma Police

There's already a Starbucks on the upper level (and one next to Sharper Image)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:48 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
but if you really want to see dead, go to Omaha.
Omaha is alive, it's just sleeping on the couch right now

Buffy is making his "legacy-building" move now that the Wall Street is going up and the First National is home to many a squabble over office space.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 10:56 AM

we do not need any more retail downtown.....the only people that shop down town are tourists, suburbanites looking for their city fix, and our small cbd population......build more housing first, and worry about the retail next.....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 4:58 PM

^no, you have to do it in conjunction, you can't build a building, and add in retail later. Retail is always overbuilt, you never want to turn down a retailer looking to enter or expand in your market. Because of Portland's dedication to the street environment, the city does require substantial retail in every new development, even when the market might not demand that much space for as much as a decade.

I think downtown is healthy as shit. As someone who has worked in downtown for the past 5 years, I've noticed an incredible increase in activity today, as opposed to 4 years ago when the recession, and unemployment, was really hammering the central city.

I think many people take the torn up streets, closed down stores for renovations, empty blocks waiting to be developed, and empty transit mall as a downtown stagnating when in actuality, Portland is undergoing a massive renovation that will be increasing housing, the addition (in the Moyer Tower) of a destination retailer, an upgraded Nordies, a brand new Macy, a Luxury Collection 4-star hotel, new MAX lines and cleaned up Mall, I could go on...like all the retail within three blocks of Lovejoy in the Pearl that will be in huge demand when Safeway opens.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:03 PM

I totally agree with Mark, I find downtown VERY healthy. A lot of that comes from having lived in the south and seeing what dead downtowns can look like. But any of the vacancy rates I have seen for retail have been quite low and there are always pedestrians on the street. We can always work to further increase the health of downtown, but I do not see it as a serious problem.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:24 PM

All downtown needs is $150 million
The PBA issues a call to action to save city center
Portland Business Journal - January 26, 2007
by Andy Giegerich
Business Journal staff writer

There's nothing wrong with downtown that $150 million can't fix.

A new set of strategies offered by heavy-hitting public and private interests believes that the rough figure, driven by a proposed initial $15 million earmark from the Portland Development Commission, could help downtown's retail prospects soar even as myriad construction projects pervade the city.

The money would help implement a new Downtown Retail Core strategy, covering 223 blocks, that could guide Portland's key economic strategies for the next five years.

The plan calls for major improvements on at least six large sites in the areas between Southwest Salmon and Washington streets and Second and 12th avenues.

At best, those site or building owners would convert their spaces into two- or three-story retail outlets that accommodate stores like Crate & Barrel, which had considered launching a downtown outlet before opening at Bridgeport Village in 2005.

"It's also about filling vacant corners or non-retail corners" as pedestrians stroll through the 223-block downtown core, said Christopher Kopca, who led the core strategy's task force.

As Kopca's group finalized its strategies, developer Tom Moyer announced plans to build a large tower on Southwest Yamhill Street between 9th and Park avenues.

The core retail strategy also proposes a revamp of Pioneer Place, which has lost many tenants in the past year. Task force members have yet to determine exactly how to retool the facility.

The task force assembling the plan further hopes to expand the current Business Improvement District one block east, to Southwest Second Avenue between Salmon and Washington streets, and two blocks west to Southwest 12th Avenue. The west-end moves could help better connect that area to the Brewery Blocks, on the Pearl District's southern edge.

The Business Improvement District helps fund the district's Clean and Safe program and other offerings; any expansion of it would require a buy-in from the newly included property owners.

PDC began considering this week whether to steer approximately $15 million toward the efforts. The contribution would fund short-term loans, storefront improvements, seismic upgrades and other changes. The commission's leaders could vote on the funding by early March.

Lew Bowers, a Portland Development Commission senior development manager, said PDC usually expects such allotments to generate about 10 times their worth in other commitments, such as tax-increment financing funds or investments from private building owners. The largest PDC chunk would help revitalize the Galleria and the Southwest 10th Avenue Smart Park garage.

"It seems well-coordinated with the private sector, and hopefully it's tied to some investment that really matters from people like Tom Moyer and the Naitos," who own the Galleria, said City Commissioner Erik Sten.

Overall, the moves could help alleviate competitive disadvantages that have recently hammered downtown.

"The suburban shopping areas are becoming more robust," Bowers said. "We're losing market share in downtown, but we still have a good mix of retail. We have to constantly evolve."

While the core strategy could help land a big-name national chain, its creators also want to keep downtown's cadre of independent retailers, Bowers said.

The recommendations come at a critical juncture for Portland's retail center. While office vacancy rates in the district remain low, downtown has seen a torrent of empty storefronts -- at least 40 vacancies -- in the last six months. Business proponents have feared that the many road construction projects, primarily the new transit mall light-rail plan, could further damage retailers' bottom lines.

But officials from PDC and the Portland Business Alliance, the area's leading business advocate, say the projects will provide an infrastructure around which businesses will eventually thrive.

Indeed, the new light-rail line will begin rolling about the same time that owners fully begin reaping benefits from the revamped business income tax, which the Portland City Council approved last week, and about a year after new panhandling restrictions will have theoretically made downtown's sidewalks more passable.

"We've had several good signals about doing business here that we haven't had before," said Sandra McDonough, the PBA's president and CEO. "In three to five years, this plan will give us what we need to make sure we have a lively downtown and get a good return on our investment."

Along with tweaking the six key redevelopment sites, the strategy's architects want to fill existing or expected vacancies in such structures as the Guild Theater, the current Niketown space and the empty Pioneer Courthouse Square store formerly occupied by Powell's Books.

The downtown Kitchen Kaboodle space, at Southwest Sixth Avenue and Alder Street, is also identified as a potential "upcoming vacancy." Owner John Whisler wouldn't comment on the task force's report.The task force further espouses continued funding of the Downtown Marketing program and adding a liaison to run interference between brokers and retailers.

Kopca, a senior vice president for Downtown Development Group LLC, said the strategy could further ensure that neighboring businesses better complement each other in terms of products and services. The strategy will also seek ways to fight downtown's streetscape blight. McDonough, a former journalist, suggested consolidating news racks into one unit, a successful ploy borrowed from other large cities.

The current study builds on PBA's previous efforts to guide downtown strategies through 2007. That study helped deliver such moves as the Meier & Frank/Macy's and Nordstrom's store remodels, the transit mall revitalization project, and the development of the new Park Block 5 subsurface garage and public space.

agiegerich@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3419

http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:17 PM

wow i didnt know the downtown kitchen kaboodle closed/is closing

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:35 PM

AND niketown is leaving, and schumacher haha DT is indeed doing great..not to mention all the empty spots and the businesses closing because of the bus mall renovation, and pioneer place II is essentially a ghost town.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:41 PM

^no, Nike isn't leaving, they are committed to downtown but will be RELOCATING their store in the DOWNTOWN area. It is possible Kitchen Kaboodle is looking for a better location too. They have been open about looking for a new space for awhile, maybe they found one? and Schumacher...please...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:48 PM

I don't think pdxman is a supporter of downtown PDX. I think he would be happier with the retail mix in cities like Dallas or Houston if he thinks the retail situation in downtown PDX is bad. He is a mall snob, no doubt. There is NO WAY Federated Dept. Stores or Nordstrom would invest millions in downtown PDX if they thought it was a lost cause...seriously..

Last edited by PacificNW; Jan 30, 2007 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 11:58 PM

I'd like to see a major electronics/computer store downtown, its about the only retail component missing in the downtown/pearl/northwest area (as well as the inner eastside). Either Kitchen Kaboodle or Office Depot in the SmartPark garage was supposed to be a branch of the Canadian electronics chain, the Future Shop.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 12:04 AM

Future Shop was there prior to Office Depot...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 12:07 AM

wow, i take it the store didnt last long. do you know if it closed because the chain was downsizing or there wasnt interest in electronics downtown?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
wow, i take it the store didnt last long. do you know if it closed because the chain was downsizing or there wasnt interest in electronics downtown?
They closed all of the stores in the US.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 12:13 AM

I think a good electronics store would do well in downtown PDX.. (especially with all those living in condo's downtown.)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 12:56 AM
BANNED

A few smaller stores have opened recently. Echo Audio, Pearl Audio, Vision(?) audio video (across from Powells) and the Sony Only store on NW Glisan just did a major re-inventing of itself.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 2:12 AM

I don't see how anyone can honestly describe downtown as being "dead" or anywhere dead! Sometimes I feel like I experience an entirely different city than other posters here. Baffling.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 2:40 AM

^agreed tworivers. My parents were just here and took notice of the walkable, bustling and remarkably enjoyable downtown/NW/Pearl area Portland has to offer. I think the area is quite fit now, but in 5 years-look out!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 3:01 AM

i should amend my original statement to have said that new construction to house additional retail seems unjustified when we already have a mall, three major department stores and numerous national brand locations as well. there seems to be alot of smaller vacant storefronts which need to be filled instead of building new stuff to house larger tennants...the ne part of downtown could easily support a mid size grocery store though...that seems important and in line with the notion that old town will continue to gentrify.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics