HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 2:19 PM

Strangely enough, I went to an OHL game in Ottawa this year, vs the Belleville Bulls.

The 67's are struggling in Ottawa in recent years too, but the game was overall a pretty good experience.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Strangely enough, I went to an OHL game in Ottawa this year, vs the Belleville Bulls.

The 67's are struggling in Ottawa in recent years too, but the game was overall a pretty good experience.
Wow, the 67's used to be the darling child of the OHL attendance wise. What has happened?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Wow, the 67's used to be the darling child of the OHL attendance wise. What has happened?
Many are complaining that it's over $20 to park, you have to stand in line at the parking payment machine and it takes twenty minutes to get out of the parking garage. Other than that, it was a good experience.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 8:51 PM

I have to wonder if First Ontario is pissed off. The value of their sponsorship of the arena has to be less with an OHL team versus an AHL team. Still they got a lot of exposure with the Junos.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I have to wonder if First Ontario is pissed off. The value of their sponsorship of the arena has to be less with an OHL team versus an AHL team. Still they got a lot of exposure with the Junos.

I cant see them being pissed off. If anything this is better for them. First ontario doesnt have much if any operations in the states. Now with a team that plays strictly against ontario teams their name will be seen across all cities in Ontario where they may actually have local branches.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 12:29 AM

I hardly consider the aldershot go station a "better location" than copps. Also why would the city allow the bulldogs to leave for burlington while Copps sits empty.

I highly doubt this burlington arena gets built. But if by chance it does get built I could see the OHL team playing in Burlington and Hamilton seeking out another AHL team for Copps. Because it can't sit empty. Global Spectrum wouldn't allow it.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/54...-for-the-ohl-/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
you generally get to see high end NHL prospects on a regular basis (both your own and other teams)
As a non-Canadiens fan, why would I care? I only want to see my favourite team's affiliate. With the OHL coming to town, I will happily go to many more games in the future.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 6:22 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
The OHL as well as the rest of the CHL has a tv contract with Sportsnet and the games are broadcast nationally, something that the AHL doesn't have. Just one game broadcast from First Ontario would give them more publicity than a whole season of the AHL would.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
The OHL as well as the rest of the CHL has a tv contract with Sportsnet and the games are broadcast nationally, something that the AHL doesn't have. Just one game broadcast from First Ontario would give them more publicity than a whole season of the AHL would.
There's 60 teams in the CHL. The odds of a Hamilton team making a Memorial Cup are pretty slim.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
There's 60 teams in the CHL. The odds of a Hamilton team making a Memorial Cup are pretty slim.

Huh what does hamilton making the memorial cup have anything to do with the original posters comment?

Sportsnet brodcasts weekly games not just the memorial cup. And first ontario wouldnt care if the team made the memorial cup. Theyre more intetested in hosting it because thats whn their home building will be shown off. Seeing how its the largest arena by far in the OHL id say chances of them hosting one are pretty good.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 1:22 AM

Quote:
I hardly consider the aldershot go station a "better location" than copps. Also why would the city allow the bulldogs to leave for burlington while Copps sits empty.

I highly doubt this burlington arena gets built. But if by chance it does get built I could see the OHL team playing in Burlington and Hamilton seeking out another AHL team for Copps. Because it can't sit empty. Global Spectrum wouldn't allow it.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/54...-for-the-ohl-/
David Branch was on Primetime Sports yesterday on the Fan590 and basically said that Copps is too big and that the Bulls moving to Hamilton will hopefully spur discussions about a new arena.

So we'll see what the longer term play is here. If the city foots the bill for a 6,000-8,000 seat arena they are far more stupid than I thought.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 2:09 AM

Quote:
David Branch was on Primetime Sports yesterday on the Fan590 and basically said that Copps is too big and that the Bulls moving to Hamilton will hopefully spur discussions about a new arena.

So we'll see what the longer term play is here. If the city foots the bill for a 6,000-8,000 seat arena they are far more stupid than I thought.

Was he really saying that? Sounds like he's giving misleading information to different parties.....

"Special events like that have really helped to grow our brand," he said. "While there will be some day-to-day challenges in operating in a facility that size, we think it's better to have an arena that's too big than too small"

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 3:08 AM

I agree that Copps is a much larger arena than is needed for the OHL, but there are at least five WHL teams that play in NHL-sized arenas (Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Saskatoon, Portland) and they seem to make it work well enough.

I would hate to see a new small-ish arena be built in Hamilton for any number of reasons. The good news for me is that I simply cannot see the city entertaining any notion of something like that happening.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Was he really saying that? Sounds like he's giving misleading information to different parties.....

"Special events like that have really helped to grow our brand," he said. "While there will be some day-to-day challenges in operating in a facility that size, we think it's better to have an arena that's too big than too small"
He didn't really broach the topic of 'special' events in his interview with McCown- it was really about Copps and the Bulls/Bulldogs, and how the arena in Belleville had become a huge issue that ultimately led to them having to move.

The exact series of quotes was:

"They are scheduled to play at Copps. Mr. Andlauer has 3 more years on that arena lease. It is too large, truth be stated... "

"If I had to choose between an arena that was too small or that was too large, it's obvious which problem we'd rather have...but through curtaining off, we can achieve the necessary environment.... I also do know that there is strong interest to consider the development of another arena facility which might be better suited in terms of the number of seats for an OHL franchise...

"...there are no promises, but I think that if there is a will there's a way, and now is the time that we've entered discussions, albeit at a preliminary stage"

35 minutes in

A lot of pessimism from the hosts about the chances for the OHL in Hamilton based on past experience as well.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 3:54 PM

There better be ZERO public dollars being spent on a new 5000 seat arena if it happens. That "strong interest" is from the private sector I'd imagine. I hope they realize if they have "strong interest" they'l be building it on their own. Both Mayors have been on the record saying they have no appetite for building a new arena.

I still dont think the OHL will stay in Hamilton for longer than 5 years.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 7:28 PM

The Memorial Cup host city gets an automatic entry in the tournament, even if the team places poorly during the regular season. Teams competing for the Memorial Cup include the host team and the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL Champions.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanmedic View Post
The Memorial Cup host city gets an automatic entry in the tournament, even if the team places poorly during the regular season. Teams competing for the Memorial Cup include the host team and the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL Champions.
Remember when Hamilton got to host the tournament, but the Dukes sucked so badly that they declined the automatic invitation.

Good times.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Remember when Hamilton got to host the tournament, but the Dukes sucked so badly that they declined the automatic invitation.

Good times.
LOL. Never knew about that. Thats sad/funny all in one.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 10:18 PM

And the memorial cup rumors start already.

http://m.thespec.com/sports-story/55....gGmPTO7h.uxfs

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 1:06 AM

So the NHL expansion bid Phase 1 deadline came and went today, and Las Vegas and Quebec City put in their bids.

As expected, the story of a mysterious investor working behind the scenes to bring a team to Hamilton was just bull. I think we can finally put to rest the idea of Hamilton ever getting an NHL team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation