HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
As I mentioned in my previous post, I don't have much regard for social media in general, so 'cancel culture' is just a concept that I have heard of, but it has virtually no meaning in my life. IMHO, you have to care what somebody on social media thinks of you for cancel culture to matter. I don't.
I am avoiding it as much as I can in this climate. One thing I have noticed online during this is the substantial number of people who are ready to shame, condemn, or complain about to the authorities, those who are not necessarily violating the orders, but who are doing things they do not agree with. A large percentage have almost instantly become agents of the state, willing to see their fellow citizens visited by the police and ticketed or shamed by their friends, for buying groceries too often or going to Costco. It is remarkable how many quislings were lurking in our society.

While the goal of limiting virus spread is valid, the tactics used by Strang and McNeil are in some instances vague, unsupported by evidence, and imperfect in their rationale or explanation, yet many people are quite willing to follow them off the deep end, fellow citizens be damned.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 1:22 PM

I think most of the folks you are talking about are more the 'lunatic fringe' who suddenly have a platform now that social media has become the norm (for many). I still believe the vast majority of people are sane, reasonable people who want to do good, but you mostly hear from the whack jobs on social media.

Which is one of the reasons I choose not to partake, it's too much of a friggen circus. Very hard to take any of it seriously.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 4:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I am avoiding it as much as I can in this climate. One thing I have noticed online during this is the substantial number of people who are ready to shame, condemn, or complain about to the authorities, those who are not necessarily violating the orders, but who are doing things they do not agree with. A large percentage have almost instantly become agents of the state, willing to see their fellow citizens visited by the police and ticketed or shamed by their friends, for buying groceries too often or going to Costco. It is remarkable how many quislings were lurking in our society.
I agree completely about this. People should take reasonable steps, follow the rules, be patient, and be kind to others. Fear and panic are not helpful and I have no patience for people who cause drama during a difficult time.

I am not as up to date on NS but the numbers there are quite good. By that I mean that it has weathered the pandemic better than most places on earth. By contrast in a place like Louisiana there were increases of 30 a day like NS at its peak and then there was a relentless march up to hundreds of cases a day and many deaths (with a high death rate that implied many cases were never detected). NS remains largely in that 15-30 new cases a day range, with a decent amount of testing. Yesterday there were 17 new cases and there have only been 2 deaths so far.

Here in BC it's similar and the authorities have had to walk a very difficult path, minimizing economic damage while trying to bring down the number of cases. No matter what they do they face criticism from a vocal minority on both sides; the conspiracy theorists and those who went overnight from not knowing what COVID-19 is to thinking we should all be cowering in our basements. We should be putting our effort into figuring out how to support as much economic activity as possible without allowing the virus to spread. The big measures are to wash your hands and not get close to people. It's not actually that complicated in many situations.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2020, 4:53 PM

Amid all the COVID-19 related news, something positive for a change:

Passenger ferry service could visit Georges Island this summer

Quote:
If life returns to some semblance of normal before the summer is over, there could be a new attraction on the Halifax waterfront.

Develop Nova Scotia has issued a tender for regular daily ferry service to run between the waterfront and Georges Island. According to the tender, the service would run from July 3 to Sept. 3, with the potential to be extended as late as Nov. 15.

The ferry would begin sailing each day at 10 a.m., leaving the Halifax waterfront at least once an hour, with the final crossing leaving Georges Island at 5 p.m.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 3:15 PM

Was planning a trip to see the buskers. Has there been any announcement as to whether or not the festival has been cancelled? Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 5:02 PM

Looks like the former BMO tower, 5151 George Street is getting a podium, and makeover. I apologize if this has been posted before:

https://breakhouse.ca/portfolio/arch...e/5151-george/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Was planning a trip to see the buskers. Has there been any announcement as to whether or not the festival has been cancelled? Thanks.
Always good to be optimistic, but my guess would be that it will be cancelled.

The projections around re-opening seem to suggest that May/June will see an easing of travel restrictions and the limits on small gatherings. Followed a little while later by limited workplace re-openings and maybe public gathering places like bars and restaurants (but with more distancing measures in place to avoid crowding). And then it will continue on like that through the summer, slowly easing up a bit at a time.

But I honestly think large, crowded events like festivals, theatre events, sporting events, large concerts, etc., are unlikely to be back until next year at least. That's just my guess, though, and we're all groping a bit blindly through this.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 7:15 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Looks like the former BMO tower, 5151 George Street is getting a podium, and makeover. I apologize if this has been posted before:

This is funny because I had seen some BMO tower renderings before but I don't remember that lighting. I wonder if I am forgetting part of it or if this is another iteration?

This seems quite old since BMO's been gone for a while but it looks nice. The lighting is interesting. It would not take much to refresh this building on the outside. Architecturally the upper floors have an almost Art Deco appearance even though this was built much later.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2020, 7:53 PM

I've always liked the design of this building. It would be nice to see some improvements to spiff it up a bit.

I didn't read through the proposal, but is it intended to continue as office space, or will it be converted to residential?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 12:18 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I wish all buildings would be fitted with LED (hopefully SMART) lighting... you see so many cities that can light the skyline and program the lights. They are amazing...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 5:26 AM

It also has a twin in Quebec City.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post

I could be wrong, but I think this is proposal has been around for a bit and could be out of date now. Again, going off memory, I think this building has been sold and the long term plan is conversion to residential (unless a big tenant drops out of the sky).

Last edited by kph06; Apr 20, 2020 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I could be wrong, but I think this is proposal has been around for a bit and could be out of date now. Again, going off memory, I think this building has been sold and the long term plan is conversion to residential (unless a big tenant drops out of the sky).
This design looked familiar to me as a concept long before BMO moved out

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I've always liked the design of this building. It would be nice to see some improvements to spiff it up a bit.

I didn't read through the proposal, but is it intended to continue as office space, or will it be converted to residential?
I'm not sure to be honest. I was just browsing Breakhouses website when I stumbled across this project.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 8:42 PM

Oh dear... the much-vaunted plans for the Khyber are on the rocks again. Shocking.

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/sa...ilding-443507/

Quote:
Faced with higher-than-expected holding costs, the society working to restore the historic Khyber building in downtown Halifax is modifying its plans and hoping to open part of the space early.

The 1588 Barrington Building Preservation Society bought the building in 2018 from Halifax Regional Municipality for $1, and was given two years to get a feasible plan to renovate the space in front of staff — or else the city can buy it back for the same price, as of Nov. 30.

The sale agreement “obliges the Society to submit progress reports at 6-month intervals,” and one of those reports was tabled at council this week, on April 28, with an information report from city staff, meaning it landed without debate. Coun. Matt Whitman asked to discuss the report at council’s next meeting.

In the report, city grants manager Peta-Jane Temple paints a dire financial picture of the Society.

“Cash on hand is insufficient to address accounts payable of over $32,000,” Temple wrote in the report, dated Jan. 28, 2020.

“This places the Society in a difficult position as it has no working capital to pay bills and operate the facility.”

With costs including property tax, insurance, repairs, maintenance and utilities, the Society is losing money.

“In 2019 the Society incurred $56,000 in operating costs and almost $26,000 in revenues for a net loss of $30,000,” Temple wrote.

Most of that revenue came from the municipality — more than $21,000. The Society also fundraised about $4,000.

To complete the project, the Society needs just over $3.1 million. It’s hoping to get half from the federal government, through the Department of Canadian Heritage’s Canada Cultural Spaces Fund. It’s looking for an additional $900,000 from the provincial government, and Halifax has committed $225,000 once the Society has a construction state date and itemized costs for the work.

The remaining $440,000 will come from a fundraising campaign.

But the Society didn’t expect to grapple with such high costs just to keep the building while it raised that cash.

“Previously, we were operating under the assumption that we would need to raise the majority of our capital goal before proceeding with any space use of the building,” Society president Emily Davidson wrote in the progress report to city staff, dated Jan. 17, 2020.

“However, carrying costs on the vacant building are high, and this is an unsustainable use of resources.”

The new plan is to fix up just the first floor, including asbestos abatement, and “reopen in a temporary capacity.” The Society secured a $25,000 capital grant early this year to do so.

“Our goal is to open two rooms on the first floor of 1588 Barrington Street in Winter 2020 as community rental spaces,” Davidson wrote. “These temporary rental spaces will be available for short-term rental while we continue our fundraising activities, launch a full capital campaign, and prepare to renovate the site.”

Temple wrote that the Society will incur some operating costs under that plan, but “hourly rental income could generate modest revenue, elevate the building’s profile and encourage donor support, and possibly decrease the high insurance premium which accounts for approximately 35% of current holding costs.”

Although there’s no council action associated with the information report, Temple suggested “it would be prudent to request a revised cost estimate for the remediation work prior to the release of all or some portion of HRM’s capital funding. A revised timeline for completion should also be requested.”

So 18 months into this boondoggle, they have raised a paltry $4K, or 1% of what they were supposed to, have no money in the bank, are running a substantial operating loss, and clearly have no capacity to do what they proposed to do. They have zero chance of raising $436,000 over the next 6 months given their sorry track record. I seriously doubt that $25K will be adequate for just the asbestos abatement, much less the other work that would be needed to find paying tenants for the first floor. Wisely, the provincial and federal govts have not doled out the millions they claimed to have approved given the sorry state of the entire affair and the lack of capabilities by the society to take on such a substantial project. This is Mason's gift to HRM taxpayers that just keeps on giving.

Time to push the reset button at City Hall I think. HRM will likely be saddled with this albatross once again, and needs to figure out something to do with it other than funding a clubhouse for Mason's old chums. Take it back, sell it to the highest bidder, and move on.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 8:52 PM

Time to level the entire block including that mess that has been done to the burnt out dump

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 9:21 PM

Thankfully everybody doesn't share that opinion.

There's no point in discussing the virtues of keeping heritage buildings to people who don't care about heritage buildings, but to Keith's point it does sound like somebody needs to come up with a better business plan or the building itself will be at risk due to lack of maintenance.

I suspect many people see the value in keeping true to the Barrington Street Heritage district, but it sounds like the city needs to take a more active role in ensuring that the buildings will be maintained in such a way to preserve their heritage characteristics and structural wellbeing. It has been pointed out many times in the past, by people more knowledgeable than myself, that there are ways to do this which have already proven successful in other Canadian cities.

Lets hope that something positive happens here.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:06 AM

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Thankfully everybody doesn't share that opinion.

There's no point in discussing the virtues of keeping heritage buildings to people who don't care about heritage buildings, but to Keith's point it does sound like somebody needs to come up with a better business plan or the building itself will be at risk due to lack of maintenance.

I suspect many people see the value in keeping true to the Barrington Street Heritage district, but it sounds like the city needs to take a more active role in ensuring that the buildings will be maintained in such a way to preserve their heritage characteristics and structural wellbeing. It has been pointed out many times in the past, by people more knowledgeable than myself, that there are ways to do this which have already proven successful in other Canadian cities.

Lets hope that something positive happens here.
I think it's definitely of benefit to keep buildings like the Khyber. Also certainly sounds like the group that's supposed to be taking care of this building now might be out of its depth.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I think it's definitely of benefit to keep buildings like the Khyber. Also certainly sounds like the group that's supposed to be taking care of this building now might be out of its depth.
Why isn't the city just running the building and renting out space to community groups?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth