HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Gold House, two 38 story towers between Modello and Silver on Beresford is preregistering. Signs have been erected at the site.
http://goldhouseliving.com/
Found a rendering of Gold House. No points for guessing which color features prominently. I'd love to see what they do with the interiors:

Source

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 4:41 PM

So, are those two renderings supposed to be the same project or different? Is this going to be one or two towers?

I just love how quickly that strech along the Skytrain is filling with glass towers!

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 6:20 PM

Thanks for posting Bodomreaper. It looks so busy. Definitely different but I don't know...

Klazu they are two seperate projects. The rendering that I posted, Adlynne, is on Patterson street. Goldhouse is on Beresford.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 6:41 PM

What an interesting name, "GOLD HOUSE." I wonder what market they just might be catering to?

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Thanks for posting Bodomreaper. It looks so busy. Definitely different but I don't know...

Klazu they are two seperate projects. The rendering that I posted, Adlynne, is on Patterson street. Goldhouse is on Beresford.
I can't find any information on "Adlynne". Any details?

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I can't find any information on "Adlynne". Any details?
I went on the Polygon website for Aldynne on the Park .. there is a description but description doesn't say much except that the homes will have air conditioning.. If I remember correctly from the development application I think is all 2 bedroom homes. The sales office on Patterson Street by the station is well under way.. I hear rumours of a late June sales opening?

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
Found a rendering of Gold House. No points for guessing which color features prominently. I'd love to see what they do with the interiors:

Source
Thanks for posting.

Looking back in time, people will note the protruding boxes and say - yeah that was built in the 2010s.
Looks like just blocks of gold, with much of the towers shaded by wraparound balconies (hopefully that will minimize spandrel - as I could see a major mismatch if they tried to match gold tinted glass)

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:05 AM

Safeway Distribution site in Burnaby near Edmonds:

Quote:
The preliminary plan includes the following:
■A gross density of 2.8 FAR
■5.8 Million SF of Market Residential
■200,000 SF of Commercial Space
■Approx. 20 towers up to 46-storeys in height
■15-20 year build-out
http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2014/0...-taking-shape/

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2014/0...d-taking-shape

Last edited by officedweller; May 27, 2014 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 3:16 AM

20 towers!!!

I assume a full size grocery store would be part of the commercial space, that would be good news for those in the West End. Though the development would likely kill whatever is left of the retail along 20th street, save for the 7-11.

Lighting for the field at Bryn Creek Secondary will cause a few annoyed residents at the least, but would make for an interesting photographic opportunity. Views to the south will be amazing regardless.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 3:16 AM

double post

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 3:50 AM

Gross density 2.8 FAR looks fairly tame, but when you calculate the 5.8 million sq ft inside an area of 22 hectares, its gotta be at least 350 people per hectare. The West End is at 220 per hectare.

A much larger version of Suter Brook Village (Port Moody) would be the way to go (imo) if they are going for a tower neighbourhood, except I would give more consideration to the retail. Try and duplicate the successful retail experience of W. 4th, Commercial Dr. etc. That never seems to happen with these made from scratch neighbourhoods unfortunately. The influx of density should help Edmonds street and 12 street establish themselves as vibrant, walk-able retail streets in the coming years though, as they are fairly close by and have a good base of retail to build around.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 4:41 AM

I wonder where the retail will go on site? Part of the problem is that the site is close to, but not really within Edmonds Town Centre.

Crazy when you think that Safeway created a stir with a rendering showing 7 towers:

http://www.burnabynewsleader.com/news/135881298.html

http://safewayrealtyholdings.listing...ject/index.cfm

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 5:08 AM

This has got me thinking about the area, has Amacon made public their plans (I assume just townhouses) for the sliver of land just north west of this property? Also, does anyone know who owns the lot immediately east of Edmonds Station?

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Also, does anyone know who owns the lot immediately east of Edmonds Station?
I think that would be BC Hydro for expanded offices.

Found this re Southgate from March 2103:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...67720277,d.cGU

see also:

http://davidpereira.ca/projects/burn...s-town-centre/

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 3:41 PM

Its crazy to see the size of assemblies that developers are willing to work with in Burnaby.

The city has to be really careful to make the right decisions, this is going to shape Burnaby going forward. Poor decisions on a build out this size could ruin entire areas of Burnaby.

Fortunately I think there is enough vision and experience dealing with developers to get the necessary amenities and concerns addressed.

Burnaby in 20-30 years will be completely unrecognizable. Think about Metrotown, Brentwood, and now this built out? Metrotowns skyline with Sovereign and Metroplace is already looking very impressive.

Cant wait to see Brentwood mall tower and SoLo complete to put Brentwood on the map.

Seem like in the next few decades Burnaby will begin to dwarf Vancouver, particularly when the view cones and lack of major sites are considered. NIMBY's don't help either.

EDIT: I would go as far to say that in the next 20 years Burnaby will take the title for the highest in the region from Vancouvers Shangri-La. Perhaps even the second Brentwood tower will get revised to the originally proposed 75 floors?

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 5:36 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The problem with Burnaby is they aren't growing organically very well. They are concentrating on their town centres and completely ignoring the rest of the city. The areas outside these centres aren't seeing any investment nor planning attention from the city and I think in the long run this will hurt them more then it'll help.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 7:43 PM

For those living away from the town centres - it's the status quo - which I think keeps many people happy. It's pretty predictable where the development will go (which is a bit different than in Vancouver), and unlike Vancouver, a town centre invoilves redevelopment on all 4 corner of an intersection and significant development on multiple sites, not primarily one parcel (ie. Oakridge)). I wonder whether Burnaby's focus on town centres keeps the price of single family houses outside the town centres more stable (or at least no crazy price hikes), because they aren't being bought out for speculation by developers?

I think Burnaby has been helped by the fact that Brentwood and Edmonds were largely light industrial and the redevelopments didn't require assumbly of smaller parcels. Metrotown is now expanding to areas where land assembly is required.

Edmonds suffers - as noted in that City report - from being multi-nodal within its own town centre. A node a Kingsway, a node at the SkyTrain Station, and now a node at the former Safeway site. If those nodes are joined up - it'll end up bigger than Brentwood in number of towers.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:49 AM

Go home Burnaby, you're completely drunk!

Amazing plan. Burnaby is definitely doing their part and building upwards and in transit-oriented manner. Just amazing. Burnaby makes Surrey's plans look soooo modest in comparison. Amazing feat by a small suburbia.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
Its crazy to see the size of assemblies that developers are willing to work with in Burnaby.

The city has to be really careful to make the right decisions, this is going to shape Burnaby going forward. Poor decisions on a build out this size could ruin entire areas of Burnaby.

Fortunately I think there is enough vision and experience dealing with developers to get the necessary amenities and concerns addressed.

Burnaby in 20-30 years will be completely unrecognizable. Think about Metrotown, Brentwood, and now this built out? Metrotowns skyline with Sovereign and Metroplace is already looking very impressive.

Cant wait to see Brentwood mall tower and SoLo complete to put Brentwood on the map.

Seem like in the next few decades Burnaby will begin to dwarf Vancouver, particularly when the view cones and lack of major sites are considered. NIMBY's don't help either.

EDIT: I would go as far to say that in the next 20 years Burnaby will take the title for the highest in the region from Vancouvers Shangri-La. Perhaps even the second Brentwood tower will get revised to the originally proposed 75 floors?

I see this happening as well (in some ways it already is). My hope is that as vancouver begins to see its downtown buildings begin to be dwarfed by a suburb (or even multiple suburbs I'm thinking maybe surrey as well). It will perhaps put some pressure on Vancouver to rethink its silly viewcones and height restrictions.

Before some one retorts with the old we don't need to build some shitty tall building just for the sake of being tall standard response. That is not what I'm saying or suggesting at all.

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Go home Burnaby, you're completely drunk!

Amazing plan. Burnaby is definitely doing their part and building upwards and in transit-oriented manner. Just amazing. Burnaby makes Surrey's plans look soooo modest in comparison. Amazing feat by a small suburbia.
Have to disagree with "small suburbia." Burnaby's town centres are a 10-minute metro ride away from downtown, and the city is just allowing the market to supply a level of housing consummate to that excellent proximity. This density (though not necessarily in tower form) is what the City of Vancouver should be permitting in similarly situated locations - instead we get 4 story woodframe buildings on Broadway.

Last edited by BodomReaper; May 28, 2014 at 3:34 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley