HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
Colemonkee is corret. It isn't unique.. Not even in New York.
Take a look at 432 Park Avenue..
Ok. I'll agree to disagree.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I was not clear enough.

What you wrote made no sense. You find that kind of building everywhere. The base is not a problem at all.
So he was right to help you out. I hope that didn't sound too arrogant.

edit...

It wasn't even you.^^
If you're referring to the concept of building a tall building in a small footprint, that is becoming increasingly less rare. If you're talking about the jenga type design itself, it is a new phenomenon and there are few examples of it. It's unique. In regards to LA, and the west coast in its entirety, I can't think of a single other example like it.

I think I see where the misunderstanding was.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spantik View Post
If you're talking about the jenga type design itself, it is a new phenomenon and there are few examples of it. It's unique. In regards to LA, and the west coast in its entirety, I can't think of a single other example like it.
"Yes" to that.

That would be a very unique design (!).
So enough trouble and misunderstandings for today. I am out.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 5:43 AM

Last edited by cesar90; Oct 8, 2016 at 5:54 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar90 View Post
I adore the Eastern Columbia building. Imagine how it would look 20 stories taller, if not for the old height limit law. Eastern Columbia & the (demolished) Richfield Tower are/were masterpieces of the Art Deco look. Some visionary developer should build a tower in the style of the Richfield, but 40 or 50 stories at least, with a tall spire on top.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 9:26 PM
:o

Maybe you should speak to a developer and ask him to finally make your dream come true.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelesnative View Post
Warner music group to move into Ford Factory building in early 2018.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-arts-district
I'm surprised no one is talking about this on this board. This is HUGE, way bigger than the Onni towers breaking ground. This could be a turning point - the first time a major tech or entertainment company decided to have a significant presence in Downtown.

Attracting these companies is key to Downtown becoming the true center of the Los Angeles area. Right now the Westside wields more economic weight. A flood of tech and entertainment companies to DTLA could change that. In my opinion, the next big tests will be if the Broadway Trade Center and the Wilshire Grand. If they can attract big tech/entertainment companies, the entire dynamic of Downtown will change.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
I'm surprised no one is talking about this on this board. This is HUGE, way bigger than the Onni towers breaking ground. This could be a turning point - the first time a major tech or entertainment company decided to have a significant presence in Downtown.

Attracting these companies is key to Downtown becoming the true center of the Los Angeles area. Right now the Westside wields more economic weight. A flood of tech and entertainment companies to DTLA could change that. In my opinion, the next big tests will be if the Broadway Trade Center and the Wilshire Grand. If they can attract big tech/entertainment companies, the entire dynamic of Downtown will change.
It's really not that exciting because what Warner Music is moving into is pretty low density office and a considerable distance from transit. Most employees will drive to work. The whole concept of entertainment and tech companies coming downtown is pretty exciting because right now they're the biggest industries in the area and their offices are mostly in areas that don't have the best transit (Playa Vista, Burbank, Glendale, Miracle Mile, Century City). Most people will drive to work in these areas and that is considerably bad for the environment. Luckily most of the areas I mentioned will soon get HRT or BRT with Measure M, but it's still good to see entertainment/tech companies move offices to more urban settings. I'm particularly excited that Netflix is moving into that new highrise on Sunset in Hollywood, an area which over the years has lost many entertainment companies. But I will be really excited if more companies in these industries move downtown with the WG and Broadway Trade Center like you mentioned. A lot pf the reason they're not already here is the dumb fad of creative office park space which is a planning fad we'll look back and cringe at some day. Why do you need to waste space in order to be creative? Anyways this response just kind of went all over the place. Just more office near transit and less in office parks is important for fighting climate change.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
It's really not that exciting because what Warner Music is moving into is pretty low density office and a considerable distance from transit. Most employees will drive to work. The whole concept of entertainment and tech companies coming downtown is pretty exciting because right now they're the biggest industries in the area and their offices are mostly in areas that don't have the best transit (Playa Vista, Burbank, Glendale, Miracle Mile, Century City). Most people will drive to work in these areas and that is considerably bad for the environment. Luckily most of the areas I mentioned will soon get HRT or BRT with Measure M, but it's still good to see entertainment/tech companies move offices to more urban settings. I'm particularly excited that Netflix is moving into that new highrise on Sunset in Hollywood, an area which over the years has lost many entertainment companies. But I will be really excited if more companies in these industries move downtown with the WG and Broadway Trade Center like you mentioned. A lot pf the reason they're not already here is the dumb fad of creative office park space which is a planning fad we'll look back and cringe at some day. Why do you need to waste space in order to be creative? Anyways this response just kind of went all over the place. Just more office near transit and less in office parks is important for fighting climate change.

First of all, this location is only around 0.4 miles from a potential red line stop at 6th street. But that is missing the point. When a company makes location decisions, they first think regionally, and Warner chose Downtown. It may not be in the location you had hoped, but the fact is a major entertainment firm chose downtown over the westside, the valley, or Hollywood. That IS a big deal. You're thinking like a planner, which is great for this board and for your future career (and the future of Los Angeles ), but try to look at this from a more macro perspective.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 2:59 AM

Yeah, no two ways about it this is big, as the ramifications go far beyond just that one building. This could be a massive catalyst for the entire Arts District and, by extension, DTLA as a whole. Suddenly the 6AM project seems (slightly) less far fetched.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Yeah, no two ways about it this is big, as the ramifications go far beyond just that one building. This could be a massive catalyst for the entire Arts District and, by extension, DTLA as a whole. Suddenly the 6AM project seems (slightly) less far fetched.
I think most importantly, it sets a precedent, as you have mentioned here.

I think they could fit more than 1,000 employees for sure. ROW DTLA will have 1.3 million square feet and they hope of topping it off at 20,000 employees.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 4:09 AM

Downtown by Lisandro Orozco, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 11:50 AM

I have some information about the "Downtown Street Car - Project".
I spoke to my contact of the Environmental Management Group - Bureau of Engineering.

I copy a part of his message:

Quote:
The project is currently in the environmental review stage, with the
EIR being finalized for certification.

According to the schedule, Construction is estimated to start in early 2018,
and be completed in about 3 years.
Metropolis sent me a video of the Tower II Topping-Off Celebration:

http://metropolislosangeles.com/tower-2-topping-off/

Last edited by black_crow; Oct 9, 2016 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
Maybe you should speak to a developer and ask him to finally make your dream come true.
Yes, maybe I should. Hey developers, please build a 50+ story tower with a spire in the style of the sadly departed Richfield Oil tower. We can call it "Art Deco Revival" style, or Neo Art Deco.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I spoke to the to my contact in the Environmental Management Group - Bureau of Engineering.

Metropolis sent me a video of the Tower II Topping-Off Celebration:

http://metropolislosangeles.com/tower-2-topping-off/
When is the 54 story Metropolis tower going to top off? Also, what is the progress on the 49 story tower at Oceanwide, and the 50 story tower on South Olive? I no longer live in L.A. (in San Diego area now) but like updates on my old city. Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parking Podiums View Post
L.A. really shines on a clear day, and fortunately, there are many clear daysys now. For one who grew up in the 1960s, great progress has been made in air quality since then. Still a ways to go. The last 20% is always the hardest, since the coastal "inversion layer" can't be abolished, nor can imported air pollution blowing across from Asia.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 4:52 PM

Quote:
I spoke to my contact of the Environmental Management Group - Bureau of Engineering.

2018 Boy, this project moves at a snail's pace.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 5:09 PM

Quote:
2018 Boy, this project moves at a snail's pace.
I can't follow you?

Early 2018 is not far away. That's a little bit more than a year (maybe 15 or 16 months).
I was surprised that they want to start so early.

They have to wait until Measure R passes anyway.

Last edited by black_crow; Oct 9, 2016 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 6:18 PM

Quote:
I can't follow you?

Early 2018 is not far away. That's a little bit more than a year (maybe 15 or 16 months).
I was surprised that they want to start so early.

They have to wait until Measure R passes anyway.
Construction would start 6 years after residents voted for it. Maybe someone could educate me on how long a one-way streetcar loop usually takes to go from approval to groundbreaking in other cities, but this seems long to me.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Construction would start 6 years after residents voted for it. Maybe someone could educate me on how long a one-way streetcar loop usually takes to go from approval to groundbreaking in other cities, but this seems long to me.
That's actually not long at all for L.A..

They are still waiting for certifications and also for the founding (California ballots).
We all knew the timeline and they confirmed today that everything works out fine (environmental review stage).

That's the process and the timeline:

http://streetcar.la/project-info/timeline/

PS:

Note: I got that information/update/confirmation (whatsoever) from the Environmental Supervisor at City of Los Angeles.

Last edited by black_crow; Oct 9, 2016 at 6:46 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations