HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:22 PM

Naked Philly has updated renderings for 401 Race Street in response to complaints raised during Civic Design Review. While many of you still want more density on this spot, IMO this is a VAST improvement aesthetically and a major win for the voluntary, collaborative CDR process:

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...s-for-401-race

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:39 PM

Not to be dismissive but what’s the difference outside of the rendering being more realistic?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:46 PM

If the units at 401 Race do not sell, they can easily convert it to the purpose for which the building was originally designed - a Charter School.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 4:40 PM

What a horrible piece of ticky tacky trash. Barton Associates has some of the WORST clients. Other than Brandywine, their clients almost always seem dead set on using the banal suburban design.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
Naked Philly has updated renderings for 401 Race Street in response to complaints raised during Civic Design Review. While many of you still want more density on this spot, IMO this is a VAST improvement aesthetically and a major win for the voluntary, collaborative CDR process
It's nowhere near dense enough to activate that corner, and without any retail components this is an improvement in aesthetics only...not urbanity...or the city as a whole.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It's nowhere near dense enough to activate that corner, and without any retail components this is an improvement in aesthetics only...not urbanity...or the city as a whole.
agree somewhat but is also a tough location for pedestrian traffic in general

Changes to the BFB approach would probably help significantly as well

http://planphilly.com/articles/2015/...ranklin-bridge

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
If not "only," I certainly agree that it's just "mostly" that. I also can't believe that there wasn't at least some height on the 5th Street or Florist Street side of this. Despite a prime location, there will be no views of Independence Hall -- or much else besides an on-ramp to the bridge (with a bonus view of the NCC's bus lot and garage entrance -- and maybe Franklin Square across twelve traffic lanes), bridge girders, and one of the Mint's blank walls. The 4th Street views are OK, but that's little consolation.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 6:52 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Just want to throw this out there.

They invented a thing a while back called....Money. If you don't have the money to build a high rise here, you can't build one. But say you have enough for the lot and enough to build a smaller development. You would still make a ton of money, and you lock down and own the lot, which can also be used for future development (Maybe you can even build it with the money you made from the first development ). Smart business move. Not purchasing the lot because you don't have enough money to build what architects and skyscraper fans want there....bad business move.

Long story short, if I had the opportunity to own a massive lot in Center City, and had enough to build something profitable there. I definitely would, regardless of what critics think. Maybe in 20 years, I will have accumulated enough to demo my own property and build the tower everyone wants to see. But it would be foolish to reject that opportunity solely for design or urbanity reasons. Foolish

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 7:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post

They invented a thing a while back called....Money. If you don't have the money to build a high rise here, you can't build one. But say you have enough for the lot and enough to build a smaller development. You would still make a ton of money, and you lock down and own the lot, which can also be used for future development (Maybe you can even build it with the money you made from the first development ). Smart business move. Not purchasing the lot because you don't have enough money to build what architects and skyscraper fans want there....bad business move.

Long story short, if I had the opportunity to own a massive lot in Center City, and had enough to build something profitable there. I definitely would, regardless of what critics think. Maybe in 20 years, I will have accumulated enough to demo my own property and build the tower everyone wants to see. But it would be foolish to reject that opportunity solely for design or urbanity reasons. Foolish
These people act like the existing warehouse offers ANYTHING of value to this section of the city. Hearing all this bitching you would think they are replacing a 20 story building apt building with a 4 story apt building. They are replacing a dead warehouse with dozens of new units in a low rise apt building that lacks height, but doesn't look half bad otherwise.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
These people act like the existing warehouse offers ANYTHING of value to this section of the city. Hearing all this bitching you would think they are replacing a 20 story building apt building with a 4 story apt building. They are replacing a dead warehouse with dozens of new units in a low rise apt building that lacks height, but doesn't look half bad otherwise.
That doesn't follow. Nobody said "build nothing." One can be happy in general and disappointed with the particulars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post

Nobody is rejecting construction, but, as was done in the review process, we're expressing disappointment in the results. I'd also like to know how competitive this will be with other projects in the area, where the views, design and amenities are superior.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 7:26 PM
Fishtown & Country

Revolution Museum, Friday, 10-9

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
That doesn't follow. Nobody said "build nothing." One can be happy in general and disappointed with the particulars.
Sounds good to me. This project isn't going to make or break CC or even this neighborhood and what they are proposing is a hell of a lot better than what is there.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Sounds good to me. This project isn't going to make or break CC or even this neighborhood and what they are proposing is a hell of a lot better than what is there.
No doubt - but I can dream, can't I?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 8:46 PM

Fencing went up today at 401 Race.

20151009_155038 by , on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 8:50 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
If getting the point was like scoring a touchdown, you just got a safety.

Nobody really cares about the old warehouse on this site. Sure, repurposing it would be cool, but at the end of the day it's just not the kind of building that needs to be kept around.

The reason people are annoyed is because this is a squat, low-rise project that feels like a major letdown after the previous two proposals fell through. Especially after the Bridge down the street, of the same vintage, broke ground and has started going up.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
Naked Philly has updated renderings for 401 Race Street in response to complaints raised during Civic Design Review. While many of you still want more density on this spot, IMO this is a VAST improvement aesthetically and a major win for the voluntary, collaborative CDR process:

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...s-for-401-race
I mean this is slightly better at least. Still a far cry though from what it could've been with the hotel design.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 11:44 PM

Groundbreaking: Another LEED Certified Building Coming to The Navy Yard

Quote:
The boom at the Navy Yard continues to thunder on, as Liberty Property Trust, the Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation and Synterra Partners officially unveiled their plans for the 16th development inside the dynamic, and ever-growing urban office park.

Adaptimmune, a clincial stage biopharmaceutical company that specializes on the use T-cell therapy to treat cancer, will use the new 47,400-square-foot facility located at 351 Rouse Boulevard as its U.S. headquarters. The LEED certified building will overlook the new Central Green fun/exercise park and is expected to be delivered sometime in late 2016.

Though Adaptimmune started across the pond in Oxford, United Kingdom in 2008, it has distinct Philly ties, as it was developed through a partnership with the University of Pennsylvania. "This exciting new Philadelphia facility allows us to expand our clinical and early commercial manufacturing and control associated costs in anticipation of the commercialization of our product candidates."said James Noble, the company's CEO, in a press release. "The location provides us with an environment that promotes strong business growth and innovation, as well as access to a rich pool of scientific and clinical talent that we will use to place more than 110 new jobs to the area in the near future.”
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...4CdzTyoLa3M.99

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 12:27 AM
Philly Rising Up!

The CEO of Adaptimmune had really nice things to say about Philly and the State's business environment. We don't hear it enough. Bottom line. Supportive business enviroment=more built environment.

Quote:

“We had fantastic support, he said. “I would always recommend Philadelphia to anybody in the U.K. coming to the United States."

See link for full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...navy-yard.html

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 3:58 PM
Me?!?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 6:03 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Checked out the garage below Cira Green. Roof level isn't open yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development