HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
The Hotels owned by Aquilini are managed by a subsidiary Pacrim Hospitality Services. Their site shows they own these hotels across the country (not sure how they feel about owning two hotels across the street in a smaller city). The list of brands, assuming they won't make it a Crowne Plaza and make the Beaverbrook something else, gives me hope for Four Points by Sheraton or Holiday Inn Express.

Given the variety of hotels on the list, I think it could be something they don't have anywhere else yet. It could also be a Delta, as that's a great brand and the Fredericton Delta is becoming a Marriott.

I recall hearing a while ago (as part of the original Convention Centre plans) that the hotel would be 8 stories.
This is the first I've heard of the Delta being converted to a Marriott.

I don't see the new hotel being a Holiday Inn Express, we already have one of those and I don't think it would really be a brand that would fit in downtown. Four Points is more likely and might be complementary to the Crowne Plaza since they don't seem to be as full service.

I think the eight story plan was from before the city acquired the land adjacent to the current empty lot. With a bigger footprint a new hotel might not go that high but I certainly hope it does.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 1:18 PM

Thinking longer term, that block is going to have a very big empty spot again once the Playhouse moves out. I wonder what might be good to put in there? If the Playhouse plans were happening sooner, the hotel might want that space, but it'll be years before that is clear.

It might be worthwhile to just leave it as a Plaza space for now, with penciled in "Convention Centre expansion" plans, for when we grow big enough to need a bigger centre.

(And I really wish Google Maps would update their Aerial view of Downtown Freddy. It STILL doesn't show the Convention Centre and offices and parking garage. BingMaps is relatively up to date at least)

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
This is the first I've heard of the Delta being converted to a Marriott.

I don't see the new hotel being a Holiday Inn Express, we already have one of those and I don't think it would really be a brand that would fit in downtown. Four Points is more likely and might be complementary to the Crowne Plaza since they don't seem to be as full service.

I think the eight story plan was from before the city acquired the land adjacent to the current empty lot. With a bigger footprint a new hotel might not go that high but I certainly hope it does.
Will become a "Delta by Marriott"

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Will become a "Delta by Marriott"
Presumably that's happening to all Deltas?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
(And I really wish Google Maps would update their Aerial view of Downtown Freddy. It STILL doesn't show the Convention Centre and offices and parking garage. BingMaps is relatively up to date at least)
If you have an Apple product, Apple Maps has an excellent updated imagery of Fredericton. The only thing is they're not quick to updating roads and such, ie. the roundabout.

Speaking of which, there's an excellent video on YouTube that gives a great aerial view!
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
Speaking of which, there's an excellent video on YouTube that gives a great aerial view!
Link is broken, here's one that should work:

https://youtu.be/xeOhHQUZHAg

Great video!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Presumably that's happening to all Deltas?
Yes.. All Deltas are being re-branded under the Marriott banner but will retain the "Delta" name due to recognition in Canada

http://news.marriott.com/2015/04/mar...r-in-cana.html

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 11:27 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Link is broken, here's one that should work:

https://youtu.be/xeOhHQUZHAg

Great video!
Neat video. Just watching it though, it's pretty clear that at least 1 in 10 cars enters the roundabout using the wrong lane.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 11:37 AM

Final Draft of the Main Street Urban Design Plan was presented last night. Details can be found here:

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygov...rbanDesign.asp

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/communi...designplan.asp

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Final Draft of the Main Street Urban Design Plan was presented last night. Details can be found here:

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygov...rbanDesign.asp

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/communi...designplan.asp
I was all set to be disappointed by these concepts but I'm pleasantly surprised. On street parking, limited setbacks, relatively narrow travel lanes, a centre turn lane in lieu of additional travel lanes, lots of trees... It's almost as if someone read Walkable City!

Obviously this will take a long time to implement but the plan is certainly solid. Hopefully there will be buy-in from the community and developers. My biggest concern is that this vision is properly reflected in the zoning and more importantly that it is followed. I believe there was a similar plan for Union Street and the city wanted to avoid parking lots in front of buildings for new developments and then they immediately granted a variance to that new building on the corner of Union and St. Mary's.

Now I'm really curious to know what is being done on that empty lot across from Peter's. As one of the few larger empty spots on Main Street that would have been a perfect site to set an example for this vision but I'm not holding my breath.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 1:39 PM

Yeah I'm really curious what's goign to happen to that lot. But I think the first evidence of this plan in action will be the update to the old Canadian Tire. They really pushed to get something going on in the front half of that lot (close to the road) and it seems to be happening, when/if that restaurant ever gets built.

Moving forward, they'll probably have to encourage small changes when they can since the street has so many small lots running along it. And when they can do something with the big guys (Canadian Tire, Shoppers, the lot next to Shoppers, the old Foodland) they need to jump in them right away. Just getting those 4 spots updated to a 'modern' look would go a long way towards turning around the look of Main street.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Yeah I'm really curious what's goign to happen to that lot. But I think the first evidence of this plan in action will be the update to the old Canadian Tire. They really pushed to get something going on in the front half of that lot (close to the road) and it seems to be happening, when/if that restaurant ever gets built.
Unfortunately the site plan for the old Canadian Tire doesn't really fit in with this plan. They reduced the front buildings from two to one and there's a possibility that there would be a drivethru so it would still be set back significantly, wouldn't have a lot of frontage, and would likely not face Main Street. It would also be a single story. So while an improvement it would still look like a typical chain restaurant.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 9:46 PM

Long-time reader, first-time poster here.

I'm happy to see the city at least proposing to taking steps to convert Main Street in to a proper urban node, but I can't imagine that the final result will come anything close to that. I hate to be pessimistic, but the way the Union Street plan has been panning out doesn't give me much hope for the very similar, and perhaps even more ambitious, Main Street plan.

I was really excited for the Union Street plan when it came out years back, but it seems to have completely come off the rails in its implementation since then. The Union/Cliffe and Union/St. Mary's bridge access corners were golden opportunities to build new, urban focal points on freed-up land as a result of the demolition that was necessary to reconfigure those intersections. Unfortunately, thus far, that golden opportunity has been squandered on building vinyl-clad highway-commercial shacks with street-facing parking lots. Nothing says "focal point of an up-and-coming urban community" quite like a used car dealership, right?

As for the rest of the Union St. neighbourhood, despite all of the new townhouse and condo developments that have gone up in the past few years, there are actually MORE street-facing parking lots on Union than there were when the plan started. It almost seems that the Union Street plan has become a "Potemkin Village" project where new development is constructed with an eye toward looking good when viewed from the south side of the river, while largely neglecting the improvement of the neighbourhood fabric of Union Street and Devon itself. I really WANT to see the project succeed and see Devon have a vibrant and desirable core area, but that's not the direction things seem to be heading based on the development so far.

As for the Main Street plan, I can't help but notice that the "interim phase" of the plan seems to call for replacing a lot of the low-rent strip malls and car-oriented commercial developments with... more strip-malls and car-oriented commercial developments. I understand that you can't build up an urban node overnight, but chasing out the small local businesses that occupy many of these low-rent commercial properties and replacing then with some sort of "Corbett Centre Lite," near-the-road-but-oriented-toward-a-parking-lot, tree-lined mallburbia would probably just guarantee that the area remains suburban and mall-oriented for another few decades.

I really WANT to be excited for this plan, I really do, but I think I'm better off hanging my hopes for positive urban development on the continuing infill of downtown and leave Main and Union plans in the "will be pleasantly surprised if they turn out well but not holding my breath" pile.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 10:28 PM

Welcome to the forum eastcanman

Old Posted Oct 11, 2015, 10:55 PM

Double post

Last edited by Freddypop; Oct 11, 2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Double Post

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcanman View Post
Long-time reader, first-time poster here.

I'm happy to see the city at least proposing to taking steps to convert Main Street in to a proper urban node, but I can't imagine that the final result will come anything close to that. I hate to be pessimistic, but the way the Union Street plan has been panning out doesn't give me much hope for the very similar, and perhaps even more ambitious, Main Street plan.

I was really excited for the Union Street plan when it came out years back, but it seems to have completely come off the rails in its implementation since then. The Union/Cliffe and Union/St. Mary's bridge access corners were golden opportunities to build new, urban focal points on freed-up land as a result of the demolition that was necessary to reconfigure those intersections. Unfortunately, thus far, that golden opportunity has been squandered on building vinyl-clad highway-commercial shacks with street-facing parking lots. Nothing says "focal point of an up-and-coming urban community" quite like a used car dealership, right?

As for the rest of the Union St. neighbourhood, despite all of the new townhouse and condo developments that have gone up in the past few years, there are actually MORE street-facing parking lots on Union than there were when the plan started. It almost seems that the Union Street plan has become a "Potemkin Village" project where new development is constructed with an eye toward looking good when viewed from the south side of the river, while largely neglecting the improvement of the neighbourhood fabric of Union Street and Devon itself. I really WANT to see the project succeed and see Devon have a vibrant and desirable core area, but that's not the direction things seem to be heading based on the development so far.

As for the Main Street plan, I can't help but notice that the "interim phase" of the plan seems to call for replacing a lot of the low-rent strip malls and car-oriented commercial developments with... more strip-malls and car-oriented commercial developments. I understand that you can't build up an urban node overnight, but chasing out the small local businesses that occupy many of these low-rent commercial properties and replacing then with some sort of "Corbett Centre Lite," near-the-road-but-oriented-toward-a-parking-lot, tree-lined mallburbia would probably just guarantee that the area remains suburban and mall-oriented for another few decades.

I really WANT to be excited for this plan, I really do, but I think I'm better off hanging my hopes for positive urban development on the continuing infill of downtown and leave Main and Union plans in the "will be pleasantly surprised if they turn out well but not holding my breath" pile.
Welcome to the forum.

The Union Street area has some real potential and the plan is good but like you said the actual implementation is pretty far off the mark. However, it needs to be noted that there have really only been two new projects on Union Street since that plan was released - but both were screwed up:

- The mixed-use building on the corner of St. Mary's and Union should have been right up against the street with parking behind but I believe the developer got a variance. This building could have set a precedence but the city allowed the developer to have his way. Too bad.

- The condo building across from the bottom of Neill Street was supposed to have also had a townhouse component. There were supposed to be something like 8-9 units fronting on Union Street. This was a great opportunity to add some housing that could have fit in nicely with the surrounding neighborhood but local residents complained about the traffic implications for the development as a whole and removing the townhouse component was a compromise. Now we have a condo building set back from the road with parking in front. Ugh. A squandered opportunity.

I think there's two main issues at stake here:

1. Traffic. Both Union and Main are essentially arterial roads that connect the entirety of the northside. Any significant developments along that stretch will have people concerned about increased traffic. I think that if we want these areas properly urbanized, we need the following to happen:
  • Complete the Two Nations Crossing overpass and ramps
  • Connect Two Nations Crossing with Route 8
  • Build a third bridge connecting Clements Drive with Woodstock Road
  • Go ahead with the plan to remove the ramps from the Westmorland Street Bridge

This will create a quasi ring road around the entire city and shift thru traffic out of downtown, off of the Westmorland bridge, and off of Main and Union. Obviously, this is a very long term plan but I think it's essential if we want to urbanize and densify Fredericton's core neighborhoods.

2. Developers. I'm not sure there are any local developers who have truly bought into this type of thinking (new urbanism, smart growth, walkability, etc). Developers in Fredericton are risk adverse and we've seen very little innovation or forward thinking from them. We need someone to buy into these plans and prove that they can work. I'm not sure how we can achieve this but perhaps the city could put some incentives in place.

I think that the Devon neighborhood in particular as a lot of potential. Devon is poised to accommodate people who want to live in an urban neighborhood but are being priced out of living downtown. If someone could build a good mixed-use building, say on the empty lot between Hayes and Cliffe, it could spur more of the same.

As for Main Street, it doesn't look like the interim plan is more strip malls. It's a bit hard to tell from the overhead concept drawings but I assume the interim development would be multistory street facing mixed used buildings.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 2:14 PM

Just a reminder that we should be getting details of the new downtown hotel development tonight.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 3:24 PM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Just a reminder that we should be getting details of the new downtown hotel development tonight.

Excellent. I cant picture this place having free parking

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
Excellent. I cant picture this place having free parking
It definitely won't. The parking garage was designed to accommodate a future hotel's parking needs.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 4:02 PM

Quote:

1. Traffic. Both Union and Main are essentially arterial roads that connect the entirety of the northside. Any significant developments along that stretch will have people concerned about increased traffic. I think that if we want these areas properly urbanized, we need the following to happen:
  • Complete the Two Nations Crossing overpass and ramps
  • Connect Two Nations Crossing with Route 8
  • Build a third bridge connecting Clements Drive with Woodstock Road
  • Go ahead with the plan to remove the ramps from the Westmorland Street Bridge

Great post. I concur with almost all of what you said. I live in Devon close to Union and hate walking with my kids along Union because of the traffic and the 'next-to-the-road' sidewalks. I haven't ever seen a proposal on how they will connect Two Nations Crossing with Route 8. Is this something that's been proposed?

I fully agree that both Union and Main need streetfront development. I also think that development can't turn it's back on the river either. If the Milestone (Condo on Union at Neill) was intended to have both streetfront and riverfront homes then that really was a missed opportunity. The riverfront real estate needs to be developed because that is some of the best real estate in the city and the trail going through there will ensure that river access will remain public. The sooner they find a way to move volume traffic away from there I think we will see good things happen. I'm not really hopeful it will happen while walking with my kids along Union is a concern though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces