HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 5:54 PM

Cirrus would look mighty fine in Denver, Salt Lake City or Boise.

Thanks to Ginkgo skyscrapercity
"Cirrus - may the sky be your muse"

Last edited by TakeFive; Sep 20, 2015 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
^
You are not allowed to take a whole neighborhood. "Paris' mid-rise density" is not one thing. That's not the point of this game.

The Louvre is a good answer.
Okay then, I would steal the Louvre in Paris and Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 11:32 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I'd take the C-Train lines (there's two of them) and squish them around a bit for Ottawa.

I'd take Ottawa's O-Train for Thunder Bay. Also probably grab one reasonably sized (for Thunder Bay, so like 10-20 floors) nice apartment building from somewhere to stick in Thunder Bay's north end.

For Hamilton I'd grab Montreal's Green and Orange metro lines.

Toronto I'd give one of either the Metro or Millennium line Skytrains from Vancouver (They just felt so perfect for Toronto) and John Hancock building from Chicago.

St. Catharines I would give the Fukashima and Chernobyl Nuclear Plants . . . I'm kidding. I'd just leave it alone....

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 2:57 AM
Denver

I award Boise The Bellagio

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 3:10 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I'd take the C-Train lines (there's two of them) and squish them around a bit for Ottawa.

I'd take Ottawa's O-Train for Thunder Bay.

No one deserves the O-Train. Ottawa has a really sad public transit situation. It's the most overpriced piss poor service for a bus system I've ever dealt with. Ottawa is clearly a city that is rigged against lower middle class and poor people.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 3:59 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

I'd take the following:

1) Seattle's Transit Tunnel (it's so freakin' obvious). I'd have it run underneath 16th Street from Union Station past Civic Center Station to somewhere around Broadway and 13th for buses. The D, F, and H lines would be somehow be magically integrated into the tunnel as well so that none of them travel on surface streets.

2) Frankurt's Tram system repurposed to take over the 8 busiest local and limited routes in Denver with the other becoming a new downtown circulator replacing the current and one and the Mall Shuttle. One reason for this is stylistic. Our utilitarian system can't be tainted by having any kind of transit vehicle that isn't boxy and brutish.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 7:46 PM

For SLC

1)I would steal the Chrysler building and put it on the Zions bank property at 100 S and Main

2) I would steal the Pyramid of the Sun from Mexico City and put it between the triad center and the church history museum.

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 8:05 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I'm refining whatever I said before. I would steal (1) Democrats who aren't assholes and care about housing affordability more than fake liberal causes and trial lawyers - and the ability to build condominiums that would result. And (2)... Well, that's about it, I don't need a second. Maybe a political machine that would allow for the assassination of people standing in the way of progress, I think there are cities that have that. Or perhaps an intelligent electorate; Denver seems to have lost that. But that would really only get me back to housing under $400 per square foot. That's all I want. Nothing else - pretty streets, transit tunnels, urbanism up the wazoo, great landmarks, bicycles galore - none of it matters if you can't afford to partake in it.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 2:52 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I'm refining whatever I said before. I would steal (1) Democrats who aren't assholes and care about housing affordability more than fake liberal causes and trial lawyers - and the ability to build condominiums that would result. And (2)... Well, that's about it, I don't need a second. Maybe a political machine that would allow for the assassination of people standing in the way of progress, I think there are cities that have that. Or perhaps an intelligent electorate; Denver seems to have lost that. But that would really only get me back to housing under $400 per square foot. That's all I want. Nothing else - pretty streets, transit tunnels, urbanism up the wazoo, great landmarks, bicycles galore - none of it matters if you can't afford to partake in it.
1000000000000000000% Agree... I'm having a harder and harder time justifying staying / settling my life in Denver. This is getting ridiculous.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 3:03 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

1) Key Tower from Cleveland, and place it on either the Zions parking lot, Carl's Jr, or north of City County.

2) San Antonio River Walk, extending from City Creek Canyon, through downtown.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 11:27 PM
Lurker

SLC:

1. Replace City Creek Center with San Antonio's Riverwalk.
2. Replace Gallivan Plaza with Portland OR's Pioneer Square

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
For SLC

1)I would steal the Chrysler building and put it on the Zions bank property at 100 S and Main

2) I would steal the Pyramid of the Sun from Mexico City and put it between the triad center and the church history museum.
Not fair. I've said more than once on the SLC thread, that as a developer (which I'm not), that I would put a 46 story Chrysler building on the old Zephyr site.
So we'll have the both of em'.
Secondly, yeah, the riverwalk would be cool from Memory Grove thru downtown.

Last edited by Cirrus; May 10, 2016 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 4:38 AM

Credit goes to BoiseAirport for rendering the Sail Tower from Haifa, Israel within the Boise skyline quite awhile back. It's something I never would've thought of, but now that I've seen it I want it. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 11:49 PM
Always running Late

very tough decision...
there's thoughts of grandeur.. and then there's a little closer to reality..

I think the two greatest things I would steal for boise would both come from Canadian Cities..

1. Vancouver's Skytrain- would link the cities of the treasure valley with downtown and the airport very effectively
2. Calgary Tower/something similar - was a huge catalyst for tower construction in Calgary and the hope would be for the same effect in Boise

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:01 AM
Never Dell

For Seattle I'm taking:

1. The Boise River and Greenbelt. Warm memories from growing up. (Ok, "warm" isn't the best word here.)

2. Denver's Commons Park. We tried and failed to pass a similar park 20 years ago.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 7:18 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
2. Denver's Commons Park. We tried and failed to pass a similar park 20 years ago.
Just so you know, that's a package deal. You get all the people, crime, and permanent residents with it too. Take it! TTAAKKEE IT!
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 7:39 PM
All man. Half nuts.

after giving this long, exhaustive thought over the last 7 minutes, i have chosen to steal the following for Boise:

1 - Albuquerque's Sandia Peak Tramway. I would have the base just off Bogus Basin road just outside the city and connect it with Deer Point to give skiers/mountain bikers a faster, safer, more fun way to reach Bogus.

2 - the Chicago Tribune Tower. at 462', the Trib would give Boise a much-needed "peak" tower without over-dominating the skyline. also, i love the gothic style... nobody does gothic anymore (or, nobody does it well). Chicago's got enough great architecture... surely they can spare giving us this one.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Just so you know, that's a package deal. You get all the people, crime, and permanent residents with it too. Take it! TTAAKKEE IT!
And stoner hill, don't forget stoner hill!
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
And stoner hill, don't forget stoner hill!
Wait... You can't just be giving away something that has its own Facebook page.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 8:07 PM

For Salt Lake I would also steal the Boise River and Greenbelt along with a few adjoining parks. If anyone in SLC hasn't been to Boise and seen what they have up there then they are missing out, example, they have the vibrant downtown SLC only dreams of having.

And The American Legion Building in Spokane.

Last edited by Northernlad; May 20, 2016 at 7:04 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West