HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 5:39 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Yeah, I'm totally guilty of having zero local perspective when it comes to Boise, but you're guilty of thinking local means that your will for the district in question is the will of the "poor". In urban planning language it's usually called "working class." I'm sure the industries that once occupied that area helped a lot of working class people in Idaho get their slice of the American Dream. Remaking a neighborhood into a real diverse community means mixed uses and mixed use doesn't just mean retailing the bejesus out of every ground floor of every new apartment building or warehouse being converted into lofts. It means creating a community that has everything close by and creating a diverse offering of jobs and thus creating a robust local economy that isn't so dependent on commuting.

Quote:
Using some of these old warehouses for a UPS distribution center or a light rail or bus maintenance facility brings working class jobs to that location. It means that many people without college degrees can get good paying jobs in the city. Now consider that Boise has a University and a White Collar downtown core and I think this helps balance out the city.
We have no old warehouses available. By your own words above, I'm pretty sure Boise's Mayor and council prefer more housing and mixed use development downtown and west downtown rather than just employment venues which require commuting from outside. I find it difficult to imagine how a rail maintenance facility, baseball stadium and community college will provide any housing, except by spin off to nearby lots. But there's only so much land available. And there's the URD issue which I get to below.

Quote:
Next, really what are these transit structures? They're giant storage facilities, mechanic shops, and detailing facilities. This isn't polluting or heavy industrial. No steel is being made. So lets keep our categories realistic. If you guys get with the program and put in a light rail system people are going to be able to commute downtown with more options and the light rail creates no exhaust.
I'm not against rail in Boise, but that's not at all the issue I'm raising. It's land use and how it will enable the URD to create a new neighborhood of people who have a vested interest in the neighborhood. Renters and absentee landlords do not have much vested interest.

Quote:
So here's my prognosis, the "poor" would do well to ignore your NIMBY gentrifer musings. I think Bozeman, Montana would be more your speed. It's super white, skewed toward people with 4 year degrees, and full of granola places and places to hike.
Um, what? All I'm asking is where is Boise going to put the maintenance facility? There are no viable warehouses anywhere downtown. They're all gone. So a new one will have to be built from scratch and the only location available is west downtown. West downtown recently got rid of most of its old abandoned warehouses. Ditto that for downtown Boise. All the old run down warehouses were the impediment to all the shiny fancy new development which is garnering so many accolades. Don't shoot the messenger.

I don't know where you got NIMBY gentrifier from. It's not clear what insult you're trying to make. Am I a NIMBY? Am I for or against gentrification? What do you stand for? Urban renewal or not? If so, surely you must agree the devil is in the details. Therefore, my call for a discussion about the details. If not, then I'm confused.

One thing is for certain. Downtown Boise's renaissance is partly or even chiefly due to the Urban Renewal District created years ago. It subsidized much of the downtown building boom of the last 25 years, including the Class A office space Zion's Bank Tower. The subsidies include many things the gentry loves such as brick paver sidewalks and irrigated Silva Cell tree planting wells and bike lanes and crosswalks and flowers...

So, if the west downtown urban renewal district's funding is gutted by tax exempt entities how does that help west downtown get those amenities that the gentry love? Let's face it, any new housing will be quite expensive. Only the gentry will be able to afford it and they're going to want their street trees, brick paver sidewalks, cafés and such.

Last edited by boisecynic; May 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:51 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoo...e78060592.html

Electric bike delights — but where can it be ridden?

Quote:
The Greenbelt question

Doug Holloway, the director of Boise Parks and Recreation, tracked down the city’s interpretation of rules for electric bikes on the Greenbelt for me.
Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoo...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 10:18 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Will the blank slots get new Royal Blvd signs?

The boulevard qualities of Capitol Boulevard. This is how we do it in Boise.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 4:14 AM

Interesing. I wonder how that is going to work out with traffic patterns? Seems like an easy place to get clogged up with vehicles.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 3:08 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
Interesing. I wonder how that is going to work out with traffic patterns? Seems like an easy place to get clogged up with vehicles.
Think bigger picture. A 2nd access for the Lusk District is the necessary first step towards rebuilding the CUB intersection with some kind of underpass for University. This is also why they're experimenting with the return to 2-way traffic from Capitol to Americana through Ann Morrison Park.

I'm predicting it now. Within 5 to 10 years we'll be hearing about a proposal for the CUB intersection. It's hard to say which 800 pound gorilla is behind this. Is it ACHD, Boise City or BSU? Of course I could just be making stuff up.

1993's CUB proposal:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=256

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 5:21 PM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/com...nt?oid=3799545

Coming and Going: Idaho Packs Its Bags

Boise Airport adds another non-stop service, this time to Dallas

Quote:
Boise Airport non-stop service to/from: Chicago Midway, Chicago O’Hare, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, Lewiston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Oakland, Phoenix, Portland, Reno, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Spokane.
Quote:
Even Boise is seeing some of its highest numbers of air travelers ever recorded, but it's something the local airport is prepared for.

"We already had capacity to handle the demand and, while passenger is travel is up, we're in a good position to be prepared for it," Hupp said. "Our airport was designed to handle more."

Quote:
"This will be our 20th nonstop daily service at the Boise Airport," said Hupp, who managed 15 nonstop flights when she first became director. She still has her sights set on a nonstop direct flight to an East Coast hub, such as New York, Atlanta or Washington, D.C. Meanwhile, Hupp has lined up at least 10 meetings while she's at the Airports Council International-North America JumpStart Air Service Development Conference in Denver in mid-June. When it comes to optimism, though, Hupp has a pretty good poker face.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:00 PM

Thanks for those photos Sawtooth.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/res...nt?oid=3808058

Reshaping the Streets: Check Out Proposed Changes to Fairview and Main
By George Prentice

Quote:
The Ada County Highway District and city of Boise drew significant citizen input Thursday night in an effort to reconfigure two of the city's most traveled corridors, linking the downtown core to the Boise Connector: Fairview Avenue and Main Street, between Whitewater Park Boulevard and 16th Street.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 6:57 PM
not a cynic

ACHD Commissioners vote 4-1 to give 650' of Jefferson Street to St Luke's.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/achd-...reet/254205320

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e85690817.html

Minutes available approximately mid to late July: http://www.achdidaho.org/MeetingsAge...genda=06-22-16

In somewhat related news, seems everyone has forgotten just a year ago when the State Legislature banned local governments from using eminent domain to build things like the greenbelt. But apparently it's fine for large corporations to acquire public land by means of eminent extortion, i.e., we'll move to Meridian.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/emi...nt?oid=3447175

Anyone got a breakdown on which commissioners voted for and which one was against?

Last edited by boisecynic; Jun 24, 2016 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 4:29 PM

http://www.bonnercountydailybee.com/...crystallizing_

Solar Roadway project crystallizing

Quote:
SANDPOINT — City planners and Solar Roadways officials are finalizing plans for their joint project, a demonstration installation of solar collection panels at Jeff Jones Square. The city will benefit from recent and future upgrades of the hexagonal paving panels because Julie and Scott Brusaw, SR owners, are invested in keeping their hometown installation up to date, according to Jennifer Stapleton, city administrator.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:18 PM

Here is a link to the Broadway Bridge construction.

http://ibeamsystems.com/private/idbroadway/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 12:13 AM

Oops mixed up threads. lol

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 5:57 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Some of you may have heard that ACHD (Ada County Highway District) is installing a wrought iron fence in the median strip on Capitol Boulevard between the Lusk District and BSU in an attempt to stop the Millennials from jaywalking across 6 lanes of traffic in hopes they will actually use a crosswalk or better yet, utilize the Greenbelt tunnels under Capitol.

How soon will it be when one of them crotches them self trying to jump or climb over the fence? I would rather see that instead of a deer stuck on the fence, and I have seen deer run across the Boulevard before.
#millennialcrotchedoncapitolblvd

I shot these this morning, and it is another forest fire smoke filled day in Boise. Get out the Flonase.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 5:08 PM

Those darn millennials, stealing our jobs and jaywalking around like they own the place.

Not sure what's more entertaining--millennials crotching themselves on the new fence, or the crotchety attitudes of boomers and gen-x-ers looking on. Either way, a lot of crotches going around.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDay View Post
Hi all -

I've formally launched BoiseDev.com. I've been working on it for a while. There's a new Project Tracker feature, plus I've revived the Boise development map that I maintained at KTVB when I was there.

Soon, all my little Twitter-items will be searchable on the site (the current "quick hits" Twitter feed is a placeholder... but it's taking time to try and get a good base built up). Plus in-depth stories and more as we go along.

Would love to hear your feedback and ideas.

--Don

Looks great Don! I like the discussion on Broadway. I know Boise State's master plan has identified the possibility of a PPP as a signature gateway project in the vicinity of the Broadway/University intersection. Would be interested to hear how likely you think that is to happen and on what timeline?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 1:59 PM
not a cynic

Don: I read the On Broadway article and near the bottom this struck me the most... "but spots like Fairview are on the decline."

I drove up Fairview the other day from Orchard to Cole. And I thought, this is where a light rail should run, right down the middle of Fairview into the city center. Imagine rezoning either side of Fairview for high rise mixed use. Imagine walking out your door and catching Trax or Max to downtown, or maybe the other way to the mall and the village. Even downtown Meridian.

First step in studying this area is to come up with a cute marketing name. Old Fairview? Near Fairview? Fairview East? West of West End--WoWE?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:00 PM
not a cynic

New SSP feature! Guess the project!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 11:38 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
New SSP feature! Guess the project!
Greenbelt construction?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Don: I read the On Broadway article and near the bottom this struck me the most... "but spots like Fairview are on the decline."

I drove up Fairview the other day from Orchard to Cole. And I thought, this is where a light rail should run, right down the middle of Fairview into the city center. Imagine rezoning either side of Fairview for high rise mixed use. Imagine walking out your door and catching Trax or Max to downtown, or maybe the other way to the mall and the village. Even downtown Meridian.

First step in studying this area is to come up with a cute marketing name. Old Fairview? Near Fairview? Fairview East? West of West End--WoWE?
I worked at KTVB on Fairview for 18 years and watched it go from OK to Not Great. It's becoming sorta Chinden-esque unfortunately.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 4:11 PM

The IBR mentions this today on their website.

http://parkingday.org/

PARK(ing) Day is an annual worldwide event where artists, designers and citizens transform metered parking spots into temporary public parks.

Quote:
Idaho Walk Bike Alliance PARK(ing) Day Park

WHO: Idaho Walk Bike Alliance

WHAT: A temporary public park around the corner from our office in front of Bittercreek Alehouse and Red Feather Lounge.

WHERE: 8th Street (between Idaho and Bannock), Boise, Idaho

WHEN: Friday, September 16, 2016, 12 - 4 p.m.

WHY: To highlight the need for more urban open spaces and call attention to the way our streets are improved when we share them

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 5:48 PM

It's open!

Took a ton of pics, video --
And there's even a funny story about Mayor Bieter

First on BoiseDev: It's finally open! See pics, video and a full story

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West