HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 7:58 PM

I think Sten has a really good plan. He is right, all these institutions are already there and it gives the people a place for daytime. It all makes sense to me.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:22 PM

Anyone see this in the NYT yesterday?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxman View Post
Looks like Uwajimaya is a go Maybe
This would be so great for Old Town, and Downtown. Hopefully the neighbors can rally around Sten's project, and hopefully his project accomplishes everything he proposes. I see nothing wrong with consolidating and improving the homeless services into one building, and a safer street scene will give developers more confidence to move forward. I would LOVE to see the Grove replaced with Uwajimaya! It would really break up that stretch of crappy buildings along Burnside.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 5:13 PM

My only concern with Uwajimaya is that the Asian community seems to be on the far east side. Well hopefully that may start of reverse trend, but I don't know if I am that optimistic, I will have to work on that.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
My only concern with Uwajimaya is that the Asian community seems to be on the far east side. Well hopefully that may start of reverse trend, but I don't know if I am that optimistic, I will have to work on that.
Seattle's Uwajimaya is not in the heart of their Asian community and does great.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 10:14 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I would shop there everyday. And our Oldtown would own Seattle's Int'l District anyday if this stuff goes through.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 6:10 AM

PDC and the city can gab all they want about grandiose plans to revitalize chinatown but they need to address safety issues first! in the early 1990's, mexican drug dealers were rampant. the police drove them out and crack dealers moved in. its been that way ever since. the city installed new bright, sodium halide lamps to brighten things up, but the dealers and prostitutes are still there. most recently, the police lifted their prostitution/drug exclusion zone over chinatown and guess what, all the dealers came back. they need more cops in chinatown period, before anything can get better.....

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 6:50 PM

I know I am a little to oblivious to things. I know there are issues down there, but I am in Old Town usually at least once per weekend. I feel safe and comfortable. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement I am sure, I should be more cautious I am sure. But truely I don't think it is all that bad.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:02 PM

I've actually been surprised by a few posters of late claiming that crime is a big issue in old town, on MAX, pioneer sq. I quess I'm a little oblivious as well because the city to me feels as safe as it always has and the statics back that up. Maybe the increase diversity, street activity, and sensationalist News crime coverage is scaring people a bit.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 11:51 PM

Uwajimaya in old town/chinatown is just about the best news EVER.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 12:11 AM

i wouldn't say oldtown is rampant with violent crime, but petty theft and drug dealing is definitely a big issue. its safe during the day, but night might be a little intimidating for tourists.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
I've actually been surprised by a few posters of late claiming that crime is a big issue in old town, on MAX, pioneer sq. I quess I'm a little oblivious as well because the city to me feels as safe as it always has and the statics back that up. Maybe the increase diversity, street activity, and sensationalist News crime coverage is scaring people a bit.
no kidding. i know i'm kind of beating a dead horse, but i feel totally safe downtown and in surrounding areas. i've never had a problem in old town. there might be some "unsavory" characters here and there but they barely do any more than occasionally ask for money. i just answer "sorry - i don't have any change", which is the truth, since i almost never use cash, and that's the end of it. on rare occasions, things have felt a little bit tense on the max, but not downtown - after all, in downtown, there are so many stops that it's hard to feel trapped. but basically, i don't even think about crime when i'm in or around downtown.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 3:03 AM

hang out on 4th or 5th after 11pm..

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 8:55 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
haha, the city where I grew up, there were parts of downtown where you didnt need someone to say that to you, you just knew not to go into that area. Portland is much safer than most cities. The problems in chinatown are very small compared to what I am use to...yes they are a problem and need to be addressed, especially now before they ever become a serious problem. This is one thing I love about Portland, they dont wait till the problem gets so far out of hand that nothing really can be done about it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex
Recently I have. Since they moved the Silverado nightclub down to third, I've been walking between Embers, Silver, and Slaughters a lot more than I used to. I find the neighborhood actually quiet lively with club goers now so much more than I ever remembered. It does get sketchy between 6th or Broadway up until you hit the Pearl, but overall, I feel safe in the area...and with my 'lifestyle' would think I'd be more of a target in sketchy areas, I just don't feel it...though I have been asked if I wanted to by some 'rock' and I just said no and walked on.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 9:46 PM

Quote:
I know there are issues down there, but I am in Old Town usually at least once per weekend. I feel safe and comfortable. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement I am sure, I should be more cautious I am sure. But truely I don't think it is all that bad.
Me too. Grew up in an east coast city, rarely worry about crime here. I will say, though, that my girlfriend had an art studio right at Burnside and 5th for a year or so, and I'd worry about her safety sometimes when she was coming and going late at night. She didn't seem very worried, though, so go figure.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 5:02 PM

How tall is too tall for Old Town?
The city looks at updating area guidelines in Portland’s Old Town, with an eye towards merging old and new

POSTED: 06:00 AM PST Wednesday, February 13, 2008
BY ALISON RYAN DJC

As development surges in Old Town, city commissions are taking a look at how modern buildings fit within Portland’s only National Historic Landmark district – and whether or not taller may be better for some sites currently limited to 75 feet.

The 2006 Ankeny/Burnside Development Framework set up the work that lies ahead in the downtown district, including updating design guidelines that haven’t been reworked since 1987 and considering higher height limits on several sites. Six sites at the edges of the district were recommended for height limits between 100 feet and 130 feet.

And that’s a change, members of the Portland Historic Landmarks Commission said Monday, that they wouldn’t support.

“Certain sites, maybe it’s ok,” said Commissioner Brian Emerick. “For the most part, I think the scale of the district is its defining feature.”

As it stands, project consultants told commissioners, about 72 percent of buildings in the district are 75 feet or less. Two buildings – equal to 4 percent of all buildings in the district – are taller than 75 feet. Unbuilt property accounts for 24 percent of the district.

Allowing higher buildings on certain sites, consultants said, could spark developer interest in those blank parking lots.

“The increase in height on those sites … appears to make the sites economically viable without subsidy,” project consultant Rick Michaelson said.

But, Commission Chairman Art DeMuro said, there’s already healthy development happening in the district, such as the new Mercy Corps headquarters and renovation of the White Stag Block.

“Why are we all running scared?” he said. “Oh my gosh, how are we going to get development activated?”

While several Portland commissions have a role to play in the process, they’re all charged with different tasks. The Design Commission’s role in the project is strictly advisory. The Planning Commission will helm decisions on code changes; the Historic Landmarks Commission will approve new design guidelines. All changes will ultimately go before City Council.

The breakdown means the height recommendation falls under the umbrella of the Planning Commission, which, in the past, has voiced support for more height, planner Karl Lisle said.

The fact that the planning commission will steer height decisions in a historic district baffles Historic Landmarks Commissioner Peter Meijer.

“That’s like us making decisions out of the purview of the planning commission,” he said. “It’s ridiculous.”

The Portland Design Commission joined in the conversation last week, with discussion of under-development guidelines for new construction. Discussion centered on ideas of “background” and “foreground” buildings, with commissioners leaning toward encouraging “quieter” architecture. A rich range of responses, Commissioner Tim Eddy said, is possible within the background scope.

“Those buildings can be far more interesting and intellectual than the ‘look at me’ buildings,” he said.

But the distinction between foreground and background, commissioners said, isn’t something that necessarily translates to guidelines.

“When it works well, you can’t tell which one is which,” Commissioner Gwen Millius said. “And it doesn’t matter because they’re playing off each other.”

“It should be both. It should be neither. It should be great architecture,” Eddy said.

Guidelines can, Millius said, encourage quality and permanence of new buildings. Commissioners also pushed for thoughtful, carefully built buildings that respond to the existing fabric of the neighborhood.

Height’s a part of that picture, too. The cap in the district may be 75 feet, but there’s a gap between what the limits are and what gets approval to build, commissioners said.

“Right now, I think you’d be hard-pressed to put a 75-foot building up in that district,” Commissioner Jeff Stuhr said.

And that, Commissioner Andrew Jansky said, may blur the vision of high-quality construction.

“When was the last time we saw a really short building that had really high-quality materials?” he said.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 6:05 PM

I still don't like the idea of height restrictions, especially in the DT area(inside 405). Infact, I think there should be height minimums in the CBD. Thats just me tho.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 7:44 PM

I guess I understand the reasoning to keep the limits in the immediate old town area around 75', however I agree that the edges should be lifted to integrate with the core. Regarding unlimited height, I feel that the north of lovejoy plan, which if i am not mistaken allows for essentially unlimited height if the massing is reduced, would be an excellent for the entire core and inner east side.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 9:06 PM
Well designed mixed use

Underground Target Store in Old Town?

Burnside Blog reports.

"Even developer Homer William has been talking about an underground Target store topped by a few floors of housing on a vacant block adjacent to the trains station and across the street from the future home (fingers crossed on federal approval) and flagship campus of the fastest growing private arts college in America—PNCA."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland