HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 7:10 PM

Amtrak officials provide support for Iowa service

Des Moines register link

Amtrak Board Chairman Tom Carper made an 11th-hour visit to the Legislature on Tuesday as lawmakers debated the merits of state financing for a proposed Iowa City-to-Chicago passenger train.

Carper, the former mayor of Macomb, Ill., insisted he was only visiting the Statehouse to answer questions from lawmakers about the proposed Amtrak train. But he left no doubt that he believes expanding Iowa passenger rail service is a good idea.

Carper said he has a good understanding of the benefits of state-supported rail service, based on his knowledge of successful Amtrak trains that run between Quincy, Ill., with a stop in Macomb, and Chicago's Union Station. Like Iowa City, which is home to the University of Iowa, he noted that Macomb has Western Illinois University.

As the Legislature pushes toward a Thursday night deadline to approve a state budget, lawmakers still haven't resolved whether state money will be available for the proposed service.

The U.S. Department of Transportation last year awarded a $230 million grant to Iowa and Illinois to help establish the new passenger route. But the project needs a $20 million match of state money from Iowa to extend the line from the Quad Cities to Iowa City. House Republicans contend the proposal should be paid for with private money, not state dollars. Senate Democrats support state aid.

"I just don't think it is a wise investment," said Rep. David Heaton, R-Mount Pleasant. If Iowa City residents want to ride a train, he said, they can drive to Mount Pleasant's depot and travel on Amtrak's California Zephyr.

Sen. Joe Bolkcom, D-Iowa City, remarked, "The Senate feels it would be a terrific investment in the future transportation needs of this state."

^ What a complete knuckle headed comment by Rep. David Heaton, R-Mount Pleasant.. It is the epitome of self centered, screw everyone else attitude that does not belong in a government servant.

He does not even recognize that 33% of Univ of Iowa students come from the Chicago suburbs and city. He suggest that they drive an hour south to catch a once a day train.

The Feds are offering $230 mil and Illinois is kicking $60 mill for initial construction. All Iowa is being asked for is $20 mil initial construction.

Come on Iowa residents, put some pressure on these guys to get this approved....

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Des Moines register link

^ What a complete knuckle headed comment by Rep. David Heaton, R-Mount Pleasant.. It is the epitome of self centered, screw everyone else attitude that does not belong in a government servant.
He's not a knucklehead at all - he realizes how important an Amtrak station is and doesn't want to share passengers with Iowa City (especially since quite a few probably already take the train to Mt. Pleasant and drive back to Iowa City)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:09 AM
TL;DR

Hope this gets passed. Although I gotta wonder... why not seek out a private company for $20 million? Hell, one naming-rights deal or railcar-wrapping deal might get that much.

More realistically, there's got to be companies willing to operate a rail service where the only capital expenditure is an up-front $20 million, and then they get 20 years of ticket revenues. If I knew anything about running a railroad, I'd be jumping at the chance to start such a business myself.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 3:38 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Hope this gets passed. Although I gotta wonder... why not seek out a private company for $20 million? Hell, one naming-rights deal or railcar-wrapping deal might get that much.

More realistically, there's got to be companies willing to operate a rail service where the only capital expenditure is an up-front $20 million, and then they get 20 years of ticket revenues. If I knew anything about running a railroad, I'd be jumping at the chance to start such a business myself.
Even beverage sponsorship, there's a lot of money to be made.

I think you're right, I hadn't though of that. Get the private sector involved piece by piece and eventually you have companies that know the business and someday you'll have them starting their own lines.

If Iowa supports all this, I daresay that it could make a big impact on the average American views rail travel.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 9:42 PM

Iowa Legislature approves rail line and funding...sort of...

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2011/06/30/Metro/23946.html

Legislature approves rail funding

BY CHASTITY DILLARD | JUNE 30, 2011 7:20 AM
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

Funding for a passenger rail appears to have survived budget negotiations on Wednesday, solidifying the future of the proposed Iowa City-Chicago passenger rail service.

The measure keeps the $6.5 million that has been set aside to fund the Iowa City-Quad Cities-Chicago passenger rail service. But with the final state budget still undecided at the time of the vote, lawmakers abstained from allocating more money for the rail during fiscal 2012.

The total cost of the project is an estimated $310 million. In addition to the federal funds, which will cover 80 percent, Iowa is expected to provide $20 million, and Illinois will throw in $45 million.

“I support the rail,” said Rep. Dave Jacoby, D-Coralville. “The bill keeps the door open for the rail project, but it does not allocate the $6 million in state money that goes with the $80 million match from the federal government.”

Legislators said the compromise was made in efforts to keep the rail project alive, so the language including talk of the rail was left in and the money kicked out.

“I don’t think [the constituents] understand that this is a one-time situation,” Sen. Bob Dvorsky, D-Coralville, said, noting that it’s not often the government just gives out federal funding.

Dvorsky said he “would call a coalition to provide some education to the government offices and to the general public” and fight the lack of support in the Iowa house.

Rep. Jeff Kaufmann, R-Wilton, who has constituents with strong opinions on both sides of the spectrum, voted for the bill.

“It’s an issue that has some strong opponents and strong supporters,” he said. “I think it’s more appropriate for the governor to make a statewide decision.”

He said it was easier to support the bill because funding was removed. Gov. Terry Branstand will have the choice of allocating funding to the rail service, Kaufmann said, once the bill makes it to his desk.

“It is the governor’s discretion to decide whether or not to spend the money on the train,” Kaufmann said. “It makes me nervous that at some point that the federal funding that helps the state run the rail project won’t be there.”............

So the Legislature has kicked the appropriations part of the project back to the Governor. Like a political ping pong match. No one wants to kill the project but no one wants to spend the money in this climate.....

Old Posted Jul 16, 2011, 2:58 PM

IL: Durbin Announces Rail Studies Will Be Combined

Springfield Study Article
By Bruce Rushton, The State Journal- Register (Springfield, IL)

Great article on some interesting developments that will affect the CHI-STL HrSR route.
1) Durbin is taking a leadership position to get the route study underway.
2) City of Springfield wants the 10th street corridor to be the chosen route. Current route is on 3rd Street.
3) UPRR is not interested in the 10th St corridor, they want status quo, but that is probably posturing so all the track work will be funded by feds. (this fact is not in this article)

More.....

We have made some progress in moving what I think is an excellent engineering study to the point where it can be part of the active conversation about what options lie ahead," said Durbin, who spent 4½ minutes in initial remarks at a post-meeting press conference before taking questions.

Sangamon County Board Chairman Andy Van Meter spent 26 seconds addressing reporters before the conference was opened to questions.

"I wish that we had been able to reach a full conclusion today," Van Meter said. "I think we did make some progress in understanding the relative positions. We'll have to study the matter further to understand how we go forward from here."

Going into the meeting, Van Meter and Mayor Mike Houston had said that getting the consolidation study back under local control was a prime goal. Asked whether that goal had been met, Van Meter said, "No."

Local officials fear that funding options for consolidation on 10th Street will be jeopardized if the current study is delayed, and they also fear that the larger study might result in Third Street ending up as the designated corridor for freight and high-speed rail.

Tale of two studies

Studies such as the consolidation study conducted by Hanson Professional Services require a federal agency to agree to act as lead agency - a sponsor of sorts - and the Federal Railroad Administration agreed to do that during the early stages of the $4 million study, which is being funded by the state.

Why did the FRA agree to act as lead agency for a study that officials say must be placed on hold and folded into a larger study when FRA officials knew about the larger double-track proposal before the consolidation study began?

"The important reason we signed on was because it's necessary in order to realize the vision of the community and to advance the high-speed rail program," answered FRA Administrator Joseph Szabo after Saturday's meeting. "We're looking forward to working closely with this city to help them achieve a vision, to make sure high-speed rail goes forward and, to the extent possible, mitigate freight congestion in the city."

When did the FRA first notify local officials that the Hanson study needed to be folded into the larger study?

"Well, actually, we've been consistent with that position since day one," Szabo answered. "But there seems to be some misunderstanding on that."

Van Meter was clear: The FRA only recently informed local officials that the consolidation study needed to stop.

"But I don't lay that at Secretary Szabo's feet - Mr. Szabo's personal interest in this is, perhaps, the best news coming out of today's meeting," Van Meter said. "We understood that we had a separate study and a separate (process). I feel somewhat hopeful that Sen. Durbin and his staff will be able to persuade the FRA there's some methodology by which we can achieve that."

Durbin, however, defended the FRA's track record in conducting studies and said the agency has a perfect record when it comes to sustaining challenges to studies conducted under federal environmental regulations.

"There are plenty of people, private citizens and others, who will go to court in a second to challenge this (high-speed rail) project if they think they can stop it," Durbin said. "They've (the FRA has) never lost a case. We don't want this to be the first."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 5:55 AM
TL;DR

Sigh... I think I'm gonna scream with all the studies that IDOT wastes money on. The engineering companies that are hired to perform the studies get rich, while Illinoisans see none of the benefits, since we can't seem to get anything done.

The state's unwavering commitment to passenger rail is refreshing, though, considering the fierce debate or outright hostility in other states. It's probably just a legacy of Illinois' historic ties with railroads.

By the way: is Springfield really worth it? Why spend so much money on consolidation? The city is easily the most run-down, depressing Midwestern city I've ever visited. At least Detroit has faded grandeur. Springfield has parking lots.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 2:40 PM
Urbane observer

Springfield is where the guys vote to spend state money on running trains. Amtrak from the Chicago area to Springfield is potentially useful to more than half the general assembly members. You don't have that situation in Wisconsin or Minnesota or Iowa.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
By the way: is Springfield really worth it? Why spend so much money on consolidation? The city is easily the most run-down, depressing Midwestern city I've ever visited. At least Detroit has faded grandeur. Springfield has parking lots.
Lots of people go back and forth on state and private business between there and Chicago, in addition to tourism. If Amtrak can deliver a consistent service that comes in at two and a half hours one way there are going to be a LOT of takers who would rather not make the drive.

As to run down midwest(IL) cities, Springfield does suck but IMO Decatur and Peoria are much worse.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 2:39 PM

Contruction update

Story Link

MoDOT, UP, Amtrak, FRA sign agreement for second Bridge over Osage River
Tuesday, August 02, 2011

The Missouri Department of Transportation, Union Pacific, Amtrak and the Federal Railroad Administration have signed a service agreement that will allow work to begin on Missouri's first rail infrastructure project funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. The signing follows negotiations between Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon's office, MoDOT, Union Pacific and several agencies including the FRA.

"This is a project that will alleviate congestion along a vital trade and passenger transportation artery," Gov. Nixon said.

The $28.3 million project consists of the construction of a second rail bridge over the Osage River that will eliminate the last single track portion between Jefferson City and St. Louis, Mo. It will also remove the last single-track bottleneck to cause delays for freight and Amtrak trains on the eastern segment of the St. Louis to Kansas City, Mo., corridor.

MoDOT anticipates beginning construction in the fall, but prolonged flooding could push the start date into the spring....

We need more of these successes and less of the BS posturing in DC. Building infrastructure that benefits commerce, transportation and provides jobs.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 5:16 PM

U.S. DOT Awards $336.2M for Next-Gen Trains

Story Link

DOT Secretary Ray LaHood announced that California, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and Missouri will receive $336.2 million to purchase next-generation, American-made trains that will run on rail corridors in those states.
August 3, 2011

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced that California, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan and Missouri will receive $336.2 million to purchase next-generation, American-made trains that will run on rail corridors in those states. Previously awarded rail dollars bring the amount received by these five states and Washington State to $782 million for the purchase of 33 quick-acceleration locomotives and 120 bi-level passenger cars.

“Today’s announcement is all about jobs. Thanks to the leadership of the Obama Administration, these orders will pump more than three quarters of a billion dollars into the domestic manufacturing industry,” said Secretary LaHood. “And, our Buy America standard will put people to work all over the county.”

California and Illinois reached cooperative agreements with the Federal Railroad Administration to begin a multi-state procurement of equipment for passenger rail corridors in California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Oregon and Washington State. Through a joint procurement process states will leverage these federal investments, along with state matching dollars, ensuring taxpayers receive the best possible deal while creating the necessary momentum to encourage manufacturers to build equipment in U.S. plants with American workers and suppliers.

“Building a nationwide rail network is critical to America’s long-term economic success. More people are choosing to take the train and this year Amtrak is projected to set an all-time record by topping 30 million annual riders,” said Federal Railroad Administrator Joseph C. Szabo......

More in link above

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 1:40 AM

Branstad turns down cities' rail funding

Story link

Quote:
Some local elected officials are criticizing [Iowa] Gov. Terry Branstad's decision not to renew Iowa's membership to a federal passenger rail advocacy group for next year despite the commitment by local entities to pay the membership fee.

The Legislature voted to cut funding for the membership for the current fiscal year to the Midwest Interstate Passenger Rail Coalition.

The organization provides planning services and federal lobbying for passenger rail to Midwestern states, and it includes Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Missouri, among other Midwestern states.
Thanks, Guv'ner. I can't wait to get out of this state.

Last edited by ChiSoxRox; Aug 20, 2011 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 9:16 PM

Minnesota advances Northern Lights Express intercity rail

Minnesota continues to make gains in their effort to construct intercity rail from Duluth to Minny/St.P. Minnesota joins ranks with Missouri, Michigan, Illinois and to some extent Indiana to construct the Midwest network of Intercity rail and HrSR.

FRA approves route

http://www.northernlightsexpress.org/joomla/index.php

http://www.midwesthsr.org/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 5:42 PM

Chicago - Quebec City link

Masse steps up high-speed rail push

Chicago and Quebec City link touted

By Dave Battagello, The Windsor Star September 13, 2011

Read more: http://www.windsorstar.com/Masse+ste...#ixzz1Xr6IF0Ya

"With too many factions studying high-speed rail in the Quebec City to Windsor corridor, MP Brian Masse (NDP - Windsor-West) called on the federal government Monday to form one working group to fast track rail improvements.

Masse sent a letter to federal Transport Minister Denis Lebel and launched a "Need for Speed" campaign calling on the government to join with the private sector and ensure highspeed rail investments become reality.

It should include investments to run a high-speed service through Windsor to Chicago, he said."

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:41 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:

Masse steps up high-speed rail push

Chicago and Quebec City link touted
Very interesting. Since Michigan, Indiana and Illinois are all decent rail supporters at the state level, if Canada actually comitted to linking Windsor to Quebec City, then the U.S. would look like right fools not to create a shorter HSR link linking Chicago and Detroit to Windsor and then working out how to through-route things. The general vicinity of the route between Chicago and Detroit must be fairly close to the population along a Quebec City-Windsor route, and it appears to be much shorter - maybe the equivalent of just Toronto to Montreal.

*fingers crossed*

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 1:40 PM

Chicago to Iowa City trimmed to CHI-Quad Cities

press release

Sept. 15, 2011, 1:07 p.m. EDT
The Environmental Law & Policy Center Applauds Progress on New Chicago-Quad Cities Passenger Rail
Iowa DOT will match $1 million in federal funds for feasibility study

CHICAGO, Sep 15, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Work can begin to establish the long awaited Chicago-Quad Cities (Iowa) passenger rail line, according to The Environmental Law & Policy Center (ELPC), which credited Iowa's recent request to the Federal Railroad Administration to split the grant award for the line into two parts, enabling Illinois to begin construction.

By asking the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) to divide separating Illinois' $143 million from the $230 million awarded to develop the Chicago-Iowa City line, Iowa is freeing Illinois to begin work. Under the Iowa proposal, Illinois will begin construction of track to the Quad Cities, putting people to work building critical infrastructure that responds to America's changing transportation needs.

Iowa has agreed to match federal funds to study expanding the line to Omaha and has asked the FRA to reserve Iowa's $87 million portion of the grant. The full text of the Iowa request is available here.

"Obviously we would have preferred for Iowa to seize this opportunity to transform an $87 million grant into jobs and new rail service. But today's move is a step in the right direction and we are delighted that Iowa is committing $1 million in matching funds to study the feasibility of expanded service along the Quad Cities-Iowa City-Des Moines-Omaha corridor," said Steve Falck, Senior Policy Advisor.

Full Story Link

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 2:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i've cleaned up all of the off topic vs. trolling in this thread.

stay on topic folks.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 11:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Michigan's Lt. Gov. Calley O.K.'s funds for accelerated rail project
Monday, October 03, 2011

Michigan will be able to move forward with a planned accelerated rail project under legislation signed by Lt. Gov. Brian Calley.

Senate Bill 237, sponsored by Senate Appropriations Chair Roger Kahn, allocates funds needed to purchase and improve a 135-mile rail line from Kalamazoo to Dearborn, which will allow passage of freight trains and speeds of up to 110 miles per hour for passenger trains.

"The accelerated rail project is a critical investment that will help spur our economy," Calley said. "Michigan's project share is less than five percent, meaning this is a tremendous deal for our state that will boost our economic development efforts and improve quality of life in our communities."

Article V Section 26 of the Michigan Constitution gives authority to the lieutenant governor when the governor is outside the state. The governor is on a trade mission to Asia until Saturday.
Good that Michigan is moving forward with this. Now the entire line from Portage to Dearborn is owned by Amtrak and the state of Michigan. That allows for incredible leeway in upgrading the line, because it completely eliminates interference from the freight railroads over the vast majority of the Chicago-Detroit route. (Obviously, the metro regions at either end are quite congested).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 3:30 AM

Quote:
press release

Sept. 15, 2011, 1:07 p.m. EDT
The Environmental Law & Policy Center Applauds Progress on New Chicago-Quad Cities Passenger Rail
Iowa DOT will match $1 million in federal funds for feasibility study

CHICAGO, Sep 15, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Work can begin to establish the long awaited Chicago-Quad Cities (Iowa) passenger rail line, according to The Environmental Law & Policy Center (ELPC), which credited Iowa's recent request to the Federal Railroad Administration to split the grant award for the line into two parts, enabling Illinois to begin construction.

By asking the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) to divide separating Illinois' $143 million from the $230 million awarded to develop the Chicago-Iowa City line, Iowa is freeing Illinois to begin work. Under the Iowa proposal, Illinois will begin construction of track to the Quad Cities, putting people to work building critical infrastructure that responds to America's changing transportation needs.

Iowa has agreed to match federal funds to study expanding the line to Omaha and has asked the FRA to reserve Iowa's $87 million portion of the grant. The full text of the Iowa request is available here.

"Obviously we would have preferred for Iowa to seize this opportunity to transform an $87 million grant into jobs and new rail service. But today's move is a step in the right direction and we are delighted that Iowa is committing $1 million in matching funds to study the feasibility of expanded service along the Quad Cities-Iowa City-Des Moines-Omaha corridor," said Steve Falck, Senior Policy Advisor.

Full Story Link
Hopefully the study supports the feasibility of at least the Iowa City-Quad Cities portion of the line, which is only another 60 miles. IC-Des Moines-Omaha is probably too far (240 miles) and too spread out to support the line, but Iowa City has a good 8 or 9,000 college kids from Illinois.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 4:29 AM

US OKs $196.5M for high-speed Chicago-Detroit rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Tribune
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) — The U.S. Department of Transportation has approved $196.5 million for part of a high-speed Amtrak passenger rail link between Chicago and Detroit, Michigan U.S. Sens. Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow said Wednesday.

The funds now being obligated cover work from Kalamazoo in western Michigan to Dearborn in suburban Detroit, the Democratic lawmakers said.

Officials say the rail line improvements will allow trains to reach110 miles per hour on 135 miles of the route. The Transportation Department says that will shave 30 minutes off travel on Amtrak's Wolverine and Blue Water services between Detroit and Chicago. The line runs through Illinois, Indiana and Michigan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation