HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 8, 2010, 10:51 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by village person View Post
I don't quite follow the analogy. There are many different methods for learning music, of course, as nothing is so black and white. For me, learning to play, write, and listen came first. Thus familiarity with a style or styles expanded upon emulation. The theory was secondary and came as a supplement to understanding what I had become familiar with already and also acts as a window into learning other styles. But the similarities between music and architecture are slim. Architecture isn't commonly taught from ages as low as 4 (though I guess you could argue the foundations are there in math and science, but then music must also follow the foundations of motor and aural skills which come even earlier...) I began learning music at age 8, and most of my peers even have me beat in that regard. Anyway, I'm mostly just thinking out loud here...
You have answered yourself with exactly what I just said, architecture for me started when I was a child playing with linkin logs and legos. Just because no one told you the name of a note, you still had to learn the sound of that note before you knew how to play it within a song, once you have knowledge of notes, then you can understand how to write music.

Architecture can be taught as a young age, it just isnt common in this country, but when you play with legos and linkin logs as a kid, you start to create and define spaces, solids, and voids, unaware of what you are actually doing...the education of what you have learned on your own comes later when you are much more able to connect the dots.

The awareness of architecture begins when you are first aware of the space around you. Which is why everyone has an opinion of architecture and music, it is things that effect our senses.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture