HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I arrived into Montreal by Amtrak. This is the inside of the central train station. I never managed to get a look at the outside.
Don't worry, it's not really that memorable. Windsor Station is infinitely more attractive, but isn't as useful because it only serves certain railway lines so VIA and Amtrak use Central instead. And now it's not even connected to the railway network any more.

Excellent photos in both threads. I fully hope to get back there some day.

Last edited by DHLawrence; Mar 14, 2010 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 4:15 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Beautiful photos! I really like that the city appears to accomodate the bike riders there.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 12:48 PM

Great transit network in a great city!
I've never known such a unique bike system.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 7:04 PM
West Mobile

That is so cool!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 6:54 PM

Thank you for the pics

I just got my BIXI subscription for this year!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 6:35 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I like the subway shots personally lol

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 7:52 PM
Community Guy

I will be visiting in late April and plan to use much of what's in this thread.

cheers

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 10:00 PM
Kiev > Toronto > Montreal

Montreal's subway is quite remarkable and efficient. I gotta say Montreal has the best transit system in Canada by far.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 1:03 AM

I have BIXI envy...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 1:05 AM

Philly is talking about creating a bike-sharing program along the lines of Bixi. I can only dream that we have bicycle infrastructure like Montreal's some day.

Philadelphia is not a city of palaces for the few, but a city of homes for the many.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 8:30 PM
Closed account

Cool thread Cirrus, glad you enjoyed Montréal.

A few more BIXI details:

-BIXI is billed as the first '4th generation' bikeshare due to mobile docking stations, RFID tracking, touchscreen kiosks, intergration with other transport modes etc.

-There were 2 problems encountered early on. The first was an overly complicated user interface with dozens of pages of instructions on the kiosk screens. The second was the docking anchor. It was discovered that a firm yank was all that was needed to liberate a bike. Both problems were corrected by mid-summer.

-The launch was so successful that Phase 2, which was originally planned for 2010, was implemented in July - only 3 months after the April inauguration.

-Credit cards are only used for the 5$ daily rentals. If you become a member, you receive an electronic key which you insert each time you use a bike.

-If you see that you are going to exceed the 30 minute free period, merely stop by the nearest dock to reset the clock.

-Boston, Minneapolis, London and Melbourne have purchased the system and are set to launch this year. Ottawa/Gatineau has a small, 50 bike demonstration setup. (I'm worried about Melbourne as they have a mandatory helmet law. Mandatory helmets and bikeshare don't work well together.)

-The web site and facebook group are good forums for discussion and the BIXI people really do listen. There are also iphone apps that will give you realtime info on number of available bikes, nearest stations etc. (as does the web site)

-The system operates from the beginning of April until November. At the beginning of November, stations are removed starting with the least used, most distant first. All are gone by the beginning of December. There is a winter network of bike lanes that are cleared of snow but it's doubtful that BIXI could operate year-round as most of the stations are located on street and would make snow clearance a nightmare.

-If you subscribe to an annual STM transit pass (unlimited bus/metro 70$ month), you can opt for a 50% BIXI membership (39$) as well as Communauto car share membership for an added 5$ month. You never have to reload your transit smart card as it is done automatically every month. You also have acces to a bike or a car whenever needed. Cost for all 3 is 78.25$ month or 939.00$ annually. Works for me!

I'm really looking forward to April. The network will be extended this year to include boroughs to the north, west and southwest of downtown/Mount Royal that were excluded last year. I can easily envision a doubling to 10,000 bikes, 7-800 stations. Interesting to note that many of the boroughs that were lukewarm to the idea last spring changed their tune by mid-summer after the immediate success of the system. Thousands of calls from constituents to bourough offices demanding "Where are our BIXI stations?" didn't hurt either!

Here's the user web site:
http://montreal.bixi.com/home

and the Public Bike System corporate web site:
http://www.bixisystem.com/home

Cheers!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 7:36 AM
Chilean like a villian

The metro in Montreal with the rubber tires reminds me of the Metro in Santiago Chile. They even have the same blue cars with rubber tires. I haven't been to Montreal since I was a little kid and can't wait to visit one day. As far as the use of bikes becoming popular in North America goes again, if anyone has ever heard of the real possibility of Peak Oil, then it might become a hell of a lot more popular if gas prices double or triple.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 4:15 AM

This post was spam.

Last edited by Cirrus; May 8, 2013 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 12:17 PM

Love both the Bixi and Montreal Metro! Great photos and tour. Citi-bike stations (they're sponsored by Citi Bank) are beginning to pop up around NYC now. I don't think we get enough credit in here for how bike friendly New York is thanks to Mayor Bloomberg. There are roughly 250 miles of bike lines in the city now. Here's a link to a map of the planned rollout.
https://www.google.com/search?q=nyc+...er%3B492%3B336

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos