HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
My real only complaint is the height because I don't want it to steal thunder from downtown.... but I overall do support the project. And I live nearby on Victoria. I might even (depending on my work schedual go support the project. Like i said I know my whole thing with 17 stories is silly and unfounded but its not a legitimate concern.

It all stems from Luther Tower. Can see that bastard everywhere and hardly see anything downtown. I know its because downtown is geogrphically lower but that doesnt stop me from disliking it. But you are right it doesn't look overly imposing or out of place from that side of the river.
that being said, how did luther tower get an approval ? there mustve been alot of people against something of that size especially in the middle of a residential area? There were alot of highrises being built in the 70s/80s though, maybe it was just something to get used to at the time, im a little curious.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:49 PM

Hey Mitchellk12, here's a link to an older study of the area which might give you some insights to Broadway area. You might have read it already, page 48 on provides some info on what would be allowed in that area and it seems like 17 floors would be allowed.

https://broadwayyxe.com/wp-content/u...pment-Plan.pdf

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Hey Mitchellk12, here's a link to an older study of the area which might give you some insights to Broadway area. You might have read it already, page 48 on provides some info on what would be allowed in that area and it seems like 17 floors would be allowed.

https://broadwayyxe.com/wp-content/u...pment-Plan.pdf
I have read that a few weeks ago, and found it quite interesting. Correct me if im wrong, but it seems like the parcel/lot my store was built on, had a rezoning requirement processed few years back to be a multi storey building ( page 56 shows ) . which is what id hoped for once loblaws decided to convert this into a new banner. ( after they crush this down )

Now loblaws recently has their own development company called choice properties, id be curious if all of the Broadway/Downtown development will stimulate something for me store in the near near future. Its making me extremely curious.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:22 PM

Is the ExtraFoods on Broadway being torn down? What's the plan there?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:29 PM

I hope not, unless plans are for an updated grocery store....a huge 'selling' feature of the Broadway area in terms of real estate location, is its "walkability". That definitely includes access to a grocery store ...even in a somewhat limited offering like the Extra Foods. For sure one of the reasons that we moved to within 4 blocks of Broadway.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I hope not, unless plans are for an updated grocery store....a huge 'selling' feature of the Broadway area in terms of real estate location, is its "walkability". That definitely includes access to a grocery store ...even in a somewhat limited offering like the Extra Foods. For sure one of the reasons that we moved to within 4 blocks of Broadway.
i believe it will be torn down just because the building itself is outdated and needs alot of interior work, but since loblaws owns the building and the lot its on, loblaws will hopefully ( and should ) re-develop as a new format. Its a tough decision as to what brand/banner you want especially on broadway. No frills would not work, its too discount for this neighborhood, i notice people here are more health/organic oriented and dont care how cheap it is its a matter of having a decent variety. With that being said, some formats are too big and they cant build smaller formats to fit this location, hence leaving this Extra foods 1/12 left in Canada. My store is in a unique location and the size of the store itself. Loblaws needs to plan this out correctly to capitalize in the future. Since the re-zoning looks like it has to be a multi storey building, id like to see something you would see in vancouver/toronto.

As i said, with all the variables around me, Downtown, the other proposals around me, the BRT, id hope something is in the works, i have had a real estate personnel communicating with me about the BRT and how our deliveries are going to work. Im going to do whatever i can to get any info out of her to see what the deal with my store is. So far Prarieguy, were open this year and all of next. Unless they decide to do something before end of 2019.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
i believe it will be torn down just because the building itself is outdated and needs alot of interior work, but since loblaws owns the building and the lot its on, loblaws will hopefully ( and should ) re-develop as a new format. Its a tough decision as to what brand/banner you want especially on broadway. No frills would not work, its too discount for this neighborhood, i notice people here are more health/organic oriented and dont care how cheap it is its a matter of having a decent variety. With that being said, some formats are too big and they cant build smaller formats to fit this location, hence leaving this Extra foods 1/12 left in Canada. My store is in a unique location and the size of the store itself. Loblaws needs to plan this out correctly to capitalize in the future. Since the re-zoning looks like it has to be a multi storey building, id like to see something you would see in vancouver/toronto.

As i said, with all the variables around me, Downtown, the other proposals around me, the BRT, id hope something is in the works, i have had a real estate personnel communicating with me about the BRT and how our deliveries are going to work. Im going to do whatever i can to get any info out of her to see what the deal with my store is. So far Prarieguy, were open this year and all of next. Unless they decide to do something before end of 2019.
Is this property too small for a Independent format? What's the chance of them building a Shopper's drug mart in its place once the current building is demo'd? My girlfriend lives a block away but we rarely shop at your store for most of our food since our staple foods are almost entirely organic produce. I don't imagine Loblaws has any new organic/boutique formats in it's near term planning? (not that you'd likely be able to discuss it if you knew anyways).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Is this property too small for a Independent format? What's the chance of them building a Shopper's drug mart in its place once the current building is demo'd? My girlfriend lives a block away but we rarely shop at your store for most of our food since our staple foods are almost entirely organic produce. I don't imagine Loblaws has any new organic/boutique formats in it's near term planning? (not that you'd likely be able to discuss it if you knew anyways).
The manager who was here before me ( now at Canarama, we just swapped ) was discussing that with me for years. We both think that a smaller Independent format would suit this area. But we can also see loblaws sticking a tiny shoppers drug mart here. To be honest, i wouldnt want the shoppers due to the food variety it lacks, plus theres one on taylor and broadway.

id like to see either a City Market-- toronto and vancouver have them but they might not have a small format, or an original "loblaws" banner again thats small

This location is probably making it difficult for the guys up in the office to make a decision, if the store was bigger im sure something wouldve been done by now. Its also been mentioned to me that the quilting place next to me and the bakery have been sold off. if thats the case, i can also see loblaws taking that space to expand. Which would make sense and be great for this area.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 7:06 PM

Nevermind, there are smaller "city market" type formats that loblaws does have.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Nevermind, there are smaller "city market" type formats that loblaws does have.
That would be fantastic for the area.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 9:26 PM

I'm a big fan of Loblaws CityMarket banner. I would love to see one be put on Broadway in place of the Extra Foods or even on both commercial levels of the proposed 17 storey development on the corner of Broadway - it would add a "big city" feel to that area, put a BEAUTIFUL grocery store very close to downtown (capitals because I'm seriously a huge fan of the CityMarket banner and very interested in grocery and super markets in general). Will be interesting to see what comes about in the next few years.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 10:04 PM

Speaking of developments on Broadway, the website for Escala recently went live. Looks like pre-sale will be mid fall:

https://www.liveescala.ca/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 10:21 PM

I'll add to the list of those in favour of a City Market being a good fit for the Broadway area, but the store size likely isn't big enough--maybe over two levels? There's also one in Calgary in the Nolan Hill/Sage Hill area that's not really an area you'd think would go with that style of store (i.e. the 'burbs, not really a walking-to-the-store community), but it's just as nice as the one in the old Maple Leaf Gardens from what I remember when we checked that one out for our first experience in one (minus the cool factor of being the old Maple Leaf Gardens of course! ).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
I'll add to the list of those in favour of a City Market being a good fit for the Broadway area, but the store size likely isn't big enough--maybe over two levels? There's also one in Calgary in the Nolan Hill/Sage Hill area that's not really an area you'd think would go with that style of store (i.e. the 'burbs, not really a walking-to-the-store community), but it's just as nice as the one in the old Maple Leaf Gardens from what I remember when we checked that one out for our first experience in one (minus the cool factor of being the old Maple Leaf Gardens of course! ).
Thats a pretty sick store eh! I had the oppurtunity to head out to a conference in 2012 in toronto and everyone toured the store when it opened. I really liked the cheese wall. Pretty neat that they kept the old blue chairs and made a nice maple leaf decal out of it.

But since i have a few votes for a city market, ill even pitch that to some people and see the response. Never know what might happen. They could do two levels, just because were saskatoon doesnt mean we cant right?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 11:15 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 11:16 PM

Holy smokes. It's a stunner.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Really? All a matter of opinion, I guess.

I'm not a fan. Reminds me of something from the 1960's, and not in a good way. Also, if I'm gong to be spending top dollar for a condo in that location, I want a damn balcony.

edit: Ignore the balcony comment. I see them now. I didn't notice them hidden in the grid.

Last edited by Crisis; Sep 21, 2018 at 11:26 PM. Reason: blind

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 11:27 PM

Haha. It reminds me of something from the 1960s too, but in a good way.

Take a look at the 2nd rendering -- balconies are inset.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 12:44 AM

Economical design, proportions of the podium to tower are traditionally good, looks like higher ceiling penthouse suites (Window sizes). Kind of reminds me of the Lever House, but residential, with a hint of "Corb Style" in there.

Surprised there is not are not larger penthouse balconies, but how many can you have in Saskatoon's market? (I don't know). Also don't mind the inset balconies.

Material choices and colours may change the look, for good or bad as it evolves more.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I think it is pretty bland for such a prime location. Reminds me of the Arts Tower at the UofS. Compared to Escala it is ugly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan